South Louisiana Cooking Husband

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

padams2359

Senior Cook
Here is a little about myself. My name is Patrick, I am 42 years old. I’ve been married for 15 years, and have 2 boys, ages 12 and 9. I enjoy cooking, gardening, golf and I am somewhat of an electronics geek. My wife does not cook. EVER. Probable because the only pots I let her touch are my two omelet pans that she has already basically ruined. We have been living in our current house for 3 years, and she still calls and asks how to turn on the double oven. I have been cooking since high school, but really started in college. My mother was a horrible cook when I was younger. She has gotten much better. She would send cooked food when I was in college. I then starting asking for the ingredients, and I would do it myself. During my long stay in college, I would in a Chinese restaurant for 3 years and a Mexican restaurant for another 3 years. (Yeah, do the math). Both of these places were family owned, and very good. I still eat there, which says a lot because you know what they say, “Once you see the kitchen, you will never eat there.” I am a cooking junkie. Have never passed a cooking store that I did not go into. It is sort of the opposite from everyone else. She sits outside, and I go in. I use Magnetite Professionals for everyday. I have a set of cast iron pots from me Great-Great-Grandmother. Just got a set of copper pots that I have not used yet, and my wife has not seen. Ethnic food stores are my weakness.

Hi Patrick! We are glad to have you here at DC! Come on in and make yourself at home!

Thank you all. Finca, I went to Costa Rica back in the late 80's with my college roommate to go white water rafting near Aljueala. You country is ablsolutely beautiful. We stayed at a hotel right next to the Opera House I think it is. There was a bazara not far from the hotel that was really nice. We walked the streets at night, and never felt in danger. The food was great. Is there any meal that Black Beans do not go with?

Patrick, Costa Rica is still a great place to visit and to live. I've been a full time resident here for more than 8 years. Unfortunately some of the changes since your visit in the 80's haven't been for the best. For example, street crime in downtown San Jose has become a serious problem. It's no longer safe to walk after dark, and in many areas even during daylight hours.

Black beans and rice are staples of the local diet except on the Carribean side of the country where red beans are more commonly eaten than black. The food there is also spicier with a strong Jamaican/Carribean influence.

Ethnic food stores are my weakness.

mine too I have so many products I have no idea what to do with.. NYC was heaven for ethic food shopping.. I lived in a irish/turkish/asian/latino neighborhood next to a greek/italian neigborhood and a indian/argentine neighborhood food shopping was fun... in Philly not so much:rolleyes:.

Welcome Patrick!

Back
Top Bottom