Stainless Cookware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

omac999

Assistant Cook
I just purchased some stainless cookware and cannot find any resources to help me learn how to cook with it. Up until now, I've always used non stick or cast iron. My first attempt didn't turn out as well as I would have liked. Can anyone please help.

Hi, omac. Welcome to DC.

There's no magic to cooking with SS. What kinds of problems are you having?

The resources I found were right on this forum and then trial and error. Lots has been written on SS cookware. Some things that come to mind that work for me are; less flame, more oil and don't try to turn the food to quickly. And SS isn't perfect for everything.

Funny, I'm in the same situation. I just bought a 10" All-Clad stainless steel fry pan, and it's more difficult to use than I had imagined. I've always used nothing but non-stick, so I'm not used to how easily the food sticks to this pan.

It is great for making pan sauces, though.

Funny, I'm in the same situation. I just bought a 10" All-Clad stainless steel fry pan, and it's more difficult to use than I had imagined. I've always used nothing but non-stick, so I'm not used to how easily the food sticks to this pan.

It is great for making pan sauces, though.

I'll tell you the secret to SS.

When cooking meats in your pan, there are just a few things to remember for good results.

Always start with a very clean pan. Food sticks to improperly cleaned pans.

The pan and the fat must be hot before you add any food.

Place the meat in the pan and DO NOT MOVE IT. The meat will stick initially but after a few minutes, it will release with the beginnings of a nicely browned surface.

When browning is complete on the first side, turn it over and do the other side the same way.

Start by cooking a couple eggs, it will help you get used to the new pans.;)

Just kidding :LOL:, everything Andy said. Pick up some Bar Keepers Friend to get the shine back. The only time I use a teflon pan is for eggs now.

....The only time I use a teflon pan is for eggs now.

Really? I've never tried it, but can you cook thin fish fillets, like tilapia, in SS? Or would they just fall apart when you go to flip them?

Really? I've never tried it, but can you cook thin fish fillets, like tilapia, in SS? Or would they just fall apart when you go to flip them?

If you an flip them unbroken in a nonstick pan, you should be able to do the same in SS.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom