Stay at home daughter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

puffinfarm

Assistant Cook
Happy July to all.
I just tripped over this site recently and decided to join up. I am not a big contributor to groups, I tend to just lurk. I will pop my head up if there is a question that I can toss two cents toward, but other than that, I will hang in the background (quietly giggling at peoples' jokes and quips).
I have just become a stay at home daughter. This will be a group that will be growing exponentially as our population gets older. My mother has reached a level of physical condition that she cannot stay alone and I will not put her in a nursing home. (Nothing against people who make that choice, but it is not for us.) And we cannot afford to pay outside help. So, I am trying to work from home, in between care needs. In 4 or 5 years, our society will realize the volume of people in this situation and we will have more help available, but for now, I muddle along.
I would like to share a 'recipe' that I have been making for breakfast for my Mom. This is as a result of trying to provide nutritionally dense foods, that are not too highly spiced, but very flavorful and easy to eat in very small portions. (Sounds impossible, you are right.) I have been trying to include fruits and vegetables anywhere I can and came up with the idea of cooking oatmeal with fruit juice instead of water. It sounds like a very simplistic idea, but all the best tend to be obvious, just unrevealed. That is it, the whole recipe.
COOK OATMEAL WITH FRUIT JUICE, instead of water. I have found that using cranberry juice is really good as well as some blends. Of course, only use fruit juice, not drink, cocktail or beverages. It gives the oatmeal a really good flavor (as opposed to a very subtle flavor of wallpaper paste) that you do not need to add sugar, butter, cream or any other high calorie, low nutrient enhancers. You get the additional goodness of another serving of fruit and the oatmeal turns interesting colors. Of course, I often add dried fruit and/or nuts for variety, but it does not need it.
I am sharing this with everybody as a really good aha idea.
Please give it a try.
PuffinFarm
Colorado Springs, CO & Penrose, CO
Why do folks need a license to drive and don't need a license to reproduce?

welcome puffin,
glad you've joined us. YOu idea of fruit juice with oatmeal and other breakfast cereals sous like a wonderful idea..Keep working those ideas and sharing with us..W e will try to give you help any way we can.
kadesma:)

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to DC! And cudos for stepping in to help your mom, I think that is great. And I think you are right, it is something that is going to become much more common in the coming years.
Although, I think a lot of people will still opt for the nursing homes, which is fine as long as they pick a good one!
Neat idea on the oatmeal and fruit juice. We have some steel cut oats I can try that with.

funny how something so simple can suddenly be a brilliant idea! I'd love to try that for my little one! Thanks Puffin, and welcome! Hope you pop in often with those ideas :)

Juice, fruit and oatmeal?! And you're in Co Springs?! You're my kind of friend Puffin! Welcome to DC.

I've never known anyone who stayed home to care for their mother but what you're doing is wonderful. If you can work at home to support both of you then this is a good thing. Your mother is in her own home and has her daughter caring for her instead of strangers and you know she's being well cared for. I hope you can continue to do this. Good for you!!

Congratulations puffinfarm and welcome! Thanks for letting us know about cranberry juice in oatmeal and from that I must also try the orange juice in pancakes!

oatmeal, it just keeps going.

Thanks for all the reponses.
The next step in the oatmeal saga is what to do with the leftovers. I just tuck the leftovers into a zip top bag in the freezer until I have at least 1 1/2 cups of the cooked cereal and then I use it in whatever baked goods I am in the mood to make. Muffins, bread, pancakes, whatever. Once again, more flavor, more nutrients and yippee, less waste. It even works great in no-knead bread.
It does not seem to matter one whit that there is a blend of flavors.
Have a great day everybody.

Welcome! I'm so glad you are willing to stay home and take care of your mother!

my sis and I cared for both of our parents at home when their times came. Both remained lucid till their passing which was a blessing. Both lost their appetites and needed prodding to eat, and we did up a soup that was perfect for them, and right tasty too.

We cooked up potatoes in broth (chicken) and added broccoli and carrots and cooked it all down, added some strained veal baby food and some 1/2 and 1/2 to get it like a bisque in texture. Salt and pepper. It was actually very tasty, and very healthy for them, and easy to eat.

Puffin, first, welcome. Glad you could join us.
Second, kuddos to your commitment and desire to do the best you can. Please, in the midst of all you will have to do, do for you too.
You very easily can let yourself, body and soul, run down.
So if we can help with the moral, feel free to visit us and let us help whenever you need.

QS

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom