Strange PM from someone saying she is a Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jeekinz said:
DANG, and I thought I was special.:glare:

:LOL:

Thanks Mirandgl - I did get one forwarded to me - I wasn't special :( as one was not sent to me by our new member. I will survive somehow!

Just don't click on the link is all I can advise.

Trust your instincts when it comes to PM's like this. Why wouldn't someone be willing to introduce themselves and get to know everyone? This person never made one post on the open forums. That's a HUGE key factor.

Got one too!!

Figured it was trash. Brand new, no posts, and saying "Hi!" in a PM? Nah, not biting...

Ironic though, someone trying to
spam.gif
a Food board!! :ROFLMAO:

John

I got the same odd PM from "rebecca" this morning, & the fact that she had zero posts to her credit (which was extremely odd, even for a newbie) & an odd-looking web address in her sig line put me on immediate alert.

I forwarded the message to Alix without replying to it. Better safe than sorry.

My brain wasn't properly in gear was it? I was well and truly 'had'.

csalt said:
My brain wasn't properly in gear was it? I was well and truly 'had'.

We always want to think the best of someone - it's not a bad quality to have csalt. The good news is your computer is still operating and all is well! :)

I am a little curious how you could notice that this PM came from someone with zero posts on the forum without opening the PM. I did open the PM because my DW is named Rebecca and I’m polite or possibly just well trained. I did notice the absence of posts and no personal info. I didn’t respond based on the lack of info.

Last edited:
I got a pm from her too, but did not reply, however I did check her user profile where you can see she made no posts at all (zero). Thought it was odd to pm me and never posted any threads. Oh well, at least she's been banned.

Mirandgl - I opened the PM, which showed the zero posts. Opening just the PM isn't harmful. Clicking on the weblink "rebecca" provided with her signature is what can screw things up on your computer.

It's just like spam e-mails you receive. While I never open them - period - since technology changes every day, if you happen to open one by accident, you can still possibly be safe so long as you do NOT open any attachments or links in the e-mail.

But again - it's all better safe than sorry. The zero posts definitely nixed my giving any reply. I mean, who would send a PM to someone when they hadn't even posted on the site yet? The worst that could happen would be that I'd find out later that she was legit & could welcome her at a later date.

I had one from her too and just deleted it right off. I saw that she had not made any posts and had a feeling. Some time back there was someone that was spamming this way.

Well, I have to chalk this up to experience as I opened the website she posted. Never again.

Yes, Middie, you and I are so special we DIDN'T get one. I always delete anything if I don't recognize the name of the sender.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom