"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 02-22-2008, 10:46 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Wow Sherri, you're a brave woman! Here's a few things to keep in mind - they will all eat way more than you think plus they will eat all day and all night. Plan for plenty of things they can make for themselves between meals and during the night. Consider things like frozen waffles, frozen egg rolls, cereal, hot chocolate mix, ice cream, fresh fruit, individual yogurts. For regular meals, you'll do better to make sure to prepare a lot of food than worry about complicated menus. Pasta & meatballs with a salad and garlic bread would be a good meal. A big turkey with mashed potatoes and green beans would also be well received. Roasted chicken and rice. If you stick to comfort foods and make 50% more than you think you'll need, you'll do great! And BTW, welcome to DC!

Old 02-22-2008, 10:49 PM   #12
Master Chef

One thing might be important, find out if anyone has food allergies and also if there are any vegetarians.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:13 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Welcome to DC! Lots of pasta-, potato- or rice-based dishes!!! Good luck!
Old 02-23-2008, 02:45 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherridalemason View Post
Hello,

My names is Sherri M. I'm new at this so bear with me!!!!!! My husband and I are taking 10 of my sons College friends sking for Spring Break and guess who's the COOK? That's right good ole MOM. I haven't a clue how to cook for such a large group. Can any one help me? I think I have my menu planned out I just don't know how much of each item that I'm going to need. Any sugguestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Worried MOM
Welcome to DC, Sherri. Spring break & college kids - not to worry, you'll probably never see them until dinner time, lol j/k. To put your mind at ease, went to a time share (bf's dad) in Big Bear - the men grabbed a cup of coffee & toast, ran out the door, & I didn't see them till the end of the day. Not knowing your menu plan, & concern about cooking for a large group (College kids), I would keep it simple. Nothing too heavy in the morning, i.e. oatmeal w raisins/apples/cinnamin, juice, coffee Hot chocolate, & toast. Keep a few dozen eggs on hand, bread, & bacon if you wish.

They will probably be on the slopes around lunchtime, but you can keep cold cuts, tuna, cheese, bread, soup, Salad fixin's, fresh fruit on hand, i.e. grilled cheese sammies, soup (i.e. tomato, chicken noodle), salad, fresh fruit for dessert.

For dinner, you can purchase large aluminum cooking trays to cook in quantity, i.e. Meatloaf (& mashed potatoes & a veggie), or mac & cheese w a veggie included i.e. broc in the mix, sausage/peppers/onions, baked ziti (w cheese or meat/sausage etc). If you're in a high-altitude area, I would forego baking, & p/u brownies or cookies.

P/U about 5 lbs of ground beef (for meatloaf or burgers), & a 5-10 lb bag of potatoes (for mashed or fries or add to a frittata). Have a great trip.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:23 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
You ask about quantities but we still don't know what your menu is that you say you already have planned. If you list the menu we will better be able to help you with quantities - other than "a lot"

I'm on the side of a big breakfast - like keep dozens and dozens of eggs on hand! A simple scramble with cheese and a bit of cream - keep flame/element pretty low and scramble slowly. Add some toast, bagels, English muffins, and a protein like some Canadian bacon.

Bagels with smoked salmon and cream cheese/red onion/capers might be a breakfast everyone can fix for themselves right before they head out for the slopes too - save you from cooking every morning.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 04:23 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Does everyone eat meat? If not plan a cheese lasagna, or spaghetti with meatballs cooked separately from the marinara, same with chili...cook the meat separately from the beans and sauce. A big box of bisquick will aid with pancakes waffles drop biscuits or dumplings for chicken n dumplings etc.

As to how much...well ... once made a 4 qt pot of beef stew thinking it would last for a few meals...had a nephew over...inhaled most of it by himself! That 13 qt covered roaster comes in handy for chili or spaghetti.

This is a great occasion for a turkey...get a basting bag...do the turkey simply as possible...have bread and fixings for fresh turkey sandwiches...awesome!
Old 02-23-2008, 04:26 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Robo - turkey is a GREAT idea!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:19 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Amy said, "P/U about 5 lbs of ground beef (for meatloaf or burgers),....."

This brought to my mind to pick up the stuff to prepare tacos with and set it up ala carte. Let them do the work of building them. Any leftover meat and shredded cheese is great of top of scrambled eggs the next morning, and the leftover produce can be made into a salad the following day. It seems logical to me that you would want to let one meal spill into another one for the following day. Then you won't have to worry so much about hitting the quantity of stuff to prepare exactly.

Lunches let them eat at the lodge. Or something simple like sandwiches. I used to like egg salad when I skied.