"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!
Old 02-22-2008, 06:43 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Unhappy Taking a Group of 10 College Students Skiing for Spring Break!!

My names is Sherri M. I'm new at this so bear with me!!!!!! My husband and I are taking 10 of my sons College friends sking for Spring Break and guess who's the COOK? That's right good ole MOM. I haven't a clue how to cook for such a large group. Can any one help me? I think I have my menu planned out I just don't know how much of each item that I'm going to need. Any sugguestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Worried MOM

sherridalemason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:51 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Since you are taking 10+ college-age boys (guessing mostly boys) skiing, you are definitely going to have to cook in quantity and make sure you have lots of hearty dishes.

What kind of kitchen/equipment will you have available to you? Will you have to bring all your groceries or can you shop once there?

I would suggest you use tried-and-true recipes if you will be cooking in an unfamiliar kitchen.

I can't recommend any specific foods because I have never been in your position. I'm sure someone else will come along and offer better help.

"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:56 PM   #3
Hospitality Queen
Holy Cow Sheri! Let's see...normal serving size x college size....x hungry-from-skiing size=100 portions, I believe!

Seriously - what a great trip it will be!

A couple ideas popped into mind: do you have a few crock pots you could bring? I often have frozen meals in gallon sized ziplocs, brought them to our destination in an ice chest and then cooked them on the days they're needed. Things like beef stroganoff, chili, beef stew, french dip meat, etc work well.

Another idea: overnight french toast is always a winner - and since you make it the evening before, you won't have to take much time in the morning.

One more thought - as you're planning the meals, make sure you also plan which pots/pans you'll need! With a crowd that large you'll probably need a few doubles.

Best of luck and welcome to the site!
Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:57 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer
Whenever I go skiing I build up a huge appetite. I would go with thinks like pasta (lasagna, spaghetti and meatballs, etc,) hearty stews, and anything else you are comfortable making. College aged guys will never pass up a pizza either.

Have you asked your son for his suggestions? He will know what they will eat and not eat. That should help point you in the right direction.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:05 PM   #5
Executive Chef
Prior to my current unit, I was the exec. chef at a college campus. I can help if you tell me what you are planning to serve.

I can tell you this...they will devour breakfast and dinner. If you even see them for lunch, it should be grab n go stuff.

If they are in a group for eating, they'll want to impress each other with their expanded taste buds. They'll eat anything you put before them. trust me. Plus, the winter air will make them hungry...again, they'll eat anything.

Give them lots of carbs to replace what they burned off. Give them plenty of protein. Go easy on the fats and sugar, but don't skimp on something sweet every night. They'll love you for a batch of oatmeal cookies.

I'd be happy to help any way I can.
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:05 PM   #6
Assistant Cook
Thanks for the quick response!!! Out of the ten, three of them are girls. So I'm sure I"ll have lots of help. We are going to South Fork, CO we own a cabin there that is 3000 sq. foot. I have a big kitchen and it is already set with everything I will need. I was thinking that I would shop Sam's or Costco before we leave because the closet Walmart is 45 minutes away. I just need help on quanity of food that I need to buy.
sherridalemason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:52 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by sherridalemason View Post
I'm like, who the heck is Julia? Took me a while
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:26 PM   #8
Executive Chef
I think you could make a bunch of make and heat meals ahead of time like chili and beans and cornbread, lasagna and garlic bread made up ahead in the throw away aluminum pans. You can make a lot of pies and cakes ahead as well. It would be fun to eat out for one night. As for lunch you could also make a good make ahead soup And have some good bread or rolls and a lunch meat, cheese tray with pickles, mayo, mustard, etc. Chips and some brownies made ahead as well. It would be also good to have some cinnamon rolls and cookies and other snacks around for snacks you can make those ahead as well.
As for breakfast I would make some egg based casseroles like strata or a big pan of scrambled eggs and a potato gratin or breakfast burritos, fruit salad, orange juice, baked french toast, cereal and milk and cinnamon toast. You can make volume cinnamon toast like garlic bread just slice some baguettes length wise spread some some butter and cinnamon sugar on top and toast in oven.
"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it." - Julia Child
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:37 PM   #10
Master Chef
Cooking for a Crowd Recipes like 6 Foot Party Sandwich, All American Barbecue Sandwiches (for A Gang), All-In-One Casserole For

Cooking For A Crowd

Cooking for a Crowd, Cooking for a Large Crowd

LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote