Taking a Group of 10 College Students Skiing for Spring Break!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sherridalemason

Assistant Cook
Hello,

My names is Sherri M. I'm new at this so bear with me!!!!!! My husband and I are taking 10 of my sons College friends sking for Spring Break and guess who's the COOK? That's right good ole MOM. I haven't a clue how to cook for such a large group. Can any one help me? I think I have my menu planned out I just don't know how much of each item that I'm going to need. Any sugguestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Worried MOM :wacko:

Since you are taking 10+ college-age boys (guessing mostly boys) skiing, you are definitely going to have to cook in quantity and make sure you have lots of hearty dishes.

What kind of kitchen/equipment will you have available to you? Will you have to bring all your groceries or can you shop once there?

I would suggest you use tried-and-true recipes if you will be cooking in an unfamiliar kitchen.

I can't recommend any specific foods because I have never been in your position. I'm sure someone else will come along and offer better help.

Holy Cow Sheri! Let's see...normal serving size x college size....x hungry-from-skiing size=100 portions, I believe!

Seriously - what a great trip it will be!

A couple ideas popped into mind: do you have a few crock pots you could bring? I often have frozen meals in gallon sized ziplocs, brought them to our destination in an ice chest and then cooked them on the days they're needed. Things like beef stroganoff, chili, beef stew, french dip meat, etc work well.

Another idea: overnight french toast is always a winner - and since you make it the evening before, you won't have to take much time in the morning.

One more thought - as you're planning the meals, make sure you also plan which pots/pans you'll need! With a crowd that large you'll probably need a few doubles.

Best of luck and welcome to the site!

Whenever I go skiing I build up a huge appetite. I would go with thinks like pasta (lasagna, spaghetti and meatballs, etc,) hearty stews, and anything else you are comfortable making. College aged guys will never pass up a pizza either.

Have you asked your son for his suggestions? He will know what they will eat and not eat. That should help point you in the right direction.

Prior to my current unit, I was the exec. chef at a college campus. I can help if you tell me what you are planning to serve.

I can tell you this...they will devour breakfast and dinner. If you even see them for lunch, it should be grab n go stuff.

If they are in a group for eating, they'll want to impress each other with their expanded taste buds. They'll eat anything you put before them. trust me. Plus, the winter air will make them hungry...again, they'll eat anything.

Give them lots of carbs to replace what they burned off. Give them plenty of protein. Go easy on the fats and sugar, but don't skimp on something sweet every night. They'll love you for a batch of oatmeal cookies.

I'd be happy to help any way I can.

Julia,
Thanks for the quick response!!! Out of the ten, three of them are girls. So I'm sure I"ll have lots of help. We are going to South Fork, CO we own a cabin there that is 3000 sq. foot. I have a big kitchen and it is already set with everything I will need. I was thinking that I would shop Sam's or Costco before we leave because the closet Walmart is 45 minutes away. I just need help on quanity of food that I need to buy.

:) I think you could make a bunch of make and heat meals ahead of time like chili and beans and cornbread, lasagna and garlic bread made up ahead in the throw away aluminum pans. You can make a lot of pies and cakes ahead as well. It would be fun to eat out for one night. As for lunch you could also make a good make ahead soup And have some good bread or rolls and a lunch meat, cheese tray with pickles, mayo, mustard, etc. Chips and some brownies made ahead as well. It would be also good to have some cinnamon rolls and cookies and other snacks around for snacks you can make those ahead as well.
As for breakfast I would make some egg based casseroles like strata or a big pan of scrambled eggs and a potato gratin or breakfast burritos, fruit salad, orange juice, baked french toast, cereal and milk and cinnamon toast. You can make volume cinnamon toast like garlic bread just slice some baguettes length wise spread some some butter and cinnamon sugar on top and toast in oven.

Wow Sherri, you're a brave woman! Here's a few things to keep in mind - they will all eat way more than you think plus they will eat all day and all night. Plan for plenty of things they can make for themselves between meals and during the night. Consider things like frozen waffles, frozen egg rolls, cereal, hot chocolate mix, ice cream, fresh fruit, individual yogurts. For regular meals, you'll do better to make sure to prepare a lot of food than worry about complicated menus. Pasta & meatballs with a salad and garlic bread would be a good meal. A big turkey with mashed potatoes and green beans would also be well received. Roasted chicken and rice. If you stick to comfort foods and make 50% more than you think you'll need, you'll do great! And BTW, welcome to DC!

One thing might be important, find out if anyone has food allergies and also if there are any vegetarians.

Last edited:
Hello,

My names is Sherri M. I'm new at this so bear with me!!!!!! My husband and I are taking 10 of my sons College friends sking for Spring Break and guess who's the COOK? That's right good ole MOM. I haven't a clue how to cook for such a large group. Can any one help me? I think I have my menu planned out I just don't know how much of each item that I'm going to need. Any sugguestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Worried MOM :wacko:

Welcome to DC, Sherri. Spring break & college kids - not to worry, you'll probably never see them until dinner time, lol j/k. To put your mind at ease, went to a time share (bf's dad) in Big Bear - the men grabbed a cup of coffee & toast, ran out the door, & I didn't see them till the end of the day. Not knowing your menu plan, & concern about cooking for a large group (College kids), I would keep it simple. Nothing too heavy in the morning, i.e. oatmeal w raisins/apples/cinnamin, juice, coffee Hot chocolate, & toast. Keep a few dozen eggs on hand, bread, & bacon if you wish.

They will probably be on the slopes around lunchtime, but you can keep cold cuts, tuna, cheese, bread, soup, Salad fixin's, fresh fruit on hand, i.e. grilled cheese sammies, soup (i.e. tomato, chicken noodle), salad, fresh fruit for dessert.

For dinner, you can purchase large aluminum cooking trays to cook in quantity, i.e. Meatloaf (& mashed potatoes & a veggie), or mac & cheese w a veggie included i.e. broc in the mix, sausage/peppers/onions, baked ziti (w cheese or meat/sausage etc). If you're in a high-altitude area, I would forego baking, & p/u brownies or cookies.

P/U about 5 lbs of ground beef (for meatloaf or burgers), & a 5-10 lb bag of potatoes (for mashed or fries or add to a frittata). Have a great trip.

You ask about quantities but we still don't know what your menu is that you say you already have planned. If you list the menu we will better be able to help you with quantities - other than "a lot" :LOL:

I'm on the side of a big breakfast - like keep dozens and dozens of eggs on hand! :LOL: A simple scramble with cheese and a bit of cream - keep flame/element pretty low and scramble slowly. Add some toast, bagels, English muffins, and a protein like some Canadian bacon.

Bagels with smoked salmon and cream cheese/red onion/capers might be a breakfast everyone can fix for themselves right before they head out for the slopes too - save you from cooking every morning.

Does everyone eat meat? If not plan a cheese lasagna, or spaghetti with meatballs cooked separately from the marinara, same with chili...cook the meat separately from the beans and sauce. A big box of bisquick will aid with pancakes waffles drop biscuits or dumplings for chicken n dumplings etc.

As to how much...well ... once made a 4 qt pot of beef stew thinking it would last for a few meals...had a nephew over...inhaled most of it by himself! That 13 qt covered roaster comes in handy for chili or spaghetti.

This is a great occasion for a turkey...get a basting bag...do the turkey simply as possible...have bread and fixings for fresh turkey sandwiches...awesome!

Amy said, "P/U about 5 lbs of ground beef (for meatloaf or burgers),....."

This brought to my mind to pick up the stuff to prepare tacos with and set it up ala carte. Let them do the work of building them. Any leftover meat and shredded cheese is great of top of scrambled eggs the next morning, and the leftover produce can be made into a salad the following day. It seems logical to me that you would want to let one meal spill into another one for the following day. Then you won't have to worry so much about hitting the quantity of stuff to prepare exactly.

Lunches let them eat at the lodge. Or something simple like sandwiches. I used to like egg salad when I skied.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom