The Infamous Noodle Incident

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheNoodleIncident

Senior Cook
hey people - this is actually my second post, and i did a brief into there, but i wanted to make it official

anyway, im a home chef who loves to cook, and am pretty decent at it....im relatively young (26), and only recently got my own place, so i havent had as much time to experiment and "practice" as some others on this board.....i tend cook by my instincts, using recipes only as a guide, but am not afraid to look up or ask questions when needed (hence, joining this forum)....i love to learn techniques and principals of cooking, as opposed to recipes, because a recipe can only take you so far, while learning the skills can be applied in so many different ways (one of the reasons my favorite show is Good Eats)...if i ever won the lottery, i would quit my job and go to culinary school just to learn, but never actually work as a chef (not in a restaurant, at least)

im also a bit of a budding knife nut (i see a few familiar names from the knife sites i like) - really appreciate using well maintained blades....i picked out a few Shuns as wedding gifts, and am in the process of rounding out my collection with some basic sharpening supplies...though im not naive enough to think that these are the absolute best knives in the world, i dont have tons of $ to throw around buying more, and these are better than 99.9% of what most non-pros use (and maybe even better than alot of pros, from what i hear)...and i LIKE em!

anyway, i like to think i know alot and have plenty to contribute to the forum, but ill also have plenty of questions

mike

PS - just saw this is also the birthday section - well, mine was a few days ago...just fishing for birthday wishes haha

hey people - this is actually my second post, and i did a brief into there, but i wanted to make it official

anyway, im a home chef who loves to cook, and am pretty decent at it....im relatively young (26), and only recently got my own place, so i havent had as much time to experiment and "practice" as some others on this board.....i tend cook by my instincts, using recipes only as a guide, but am not afraid to look up or ask questions when needed (hence, joining this forum)....i love to learn techniques and principals of cooking, as opposed to recipes, because a recipe can only take you so far, while learning the skills can be applied in so many different ways (one of the reasons my favorite show is Good Eats)...if i ever won the lottery, i would quit my job and go to culinary school just to learn, but never actually work as a chef (not in a restaurant, at least)

im also a bit of a budding knife nut (i see a few familiar names from the knife sites i like) - really appreciate using well maintained blades....i picked out a few Shuns as wedding gifts, and am in the process of rounding out my collection with some basic sharpening supplies...though im not naive enough to think that these are the absolute best knives in the world, i dont have tons of $ to throw around buying more, and these are better than 99.9% of what most non-pros use (and maybe even better than alot of pros, from what i hear)...and i LIKE em!

anyway, i like to think i know alot and have plenty to contribute to the forum, but ill also have plenty of questions

mike

PS - just saw this is also the birthday section - well, mine was a few days ago...just fishing for birthday wishes haha

Happy Birthday. When I saw your post, I thought it would be about some 'noodleincident'.......a story of something else. Still, welcome and enjoy your time here.

haha, nope....i expected the title to confuse some people

im a huge calvin and hobbes fan, and my screename is a salute to them...plus, i like how it sounds, and some may think its a cooking thing....maybe there are a few other fans on here

and thanks!

I'm taking my toys and going home - there's not one story about a noodle here! :LOL::LOL:

Welcome!!! We hope you learn from us and I'm sure we can learn from you too!

haha, nope....i expected the title to confuse some people

im a huge calvin and hobbes fan, and my screename is a salute to them...plus, i like how it sounds, and some may think its a cooking thing....maybe there are a few other fans on here

and thanks!
Ha confuse some people, sure, i was the easy target!
Here I'll show you what the 'famous chocolate cake incident' is about.
My sons were 2 and 4, hot summer day. We were designing the deck one room away. The boys dissappear! We go searching through the house then the neighborhood, the pools, yikes, where are they. I call my good friend Laura 5 houses away, ring ring ring, a little voice (my son's voice) answers the phone! I ask him why he is there, he says he was waiting for his friend Jackie (same age-4), he tells me his little brother is waiting for them too!
My husband (at that time) goes over there in the car--it's not far, but, oh my what are they doing there. NO ONE is home but the two boys that don't even belong there. They broke in (open door) while the neighbors were gone shopping. Low and behold they find CHOCOLATE CAKE in the refrigerator because it is Laura's birthday, and they eat and eat and eat. There is chocolate cake from door to fridge and the 2 year olds diaper, gaping in the front is full too. My husband isn't home after 20 minutes so I call to see what that is about. Well, he is cleaning up chocolate cake from EVERYWHERE!
I go over, grab the kids and clean them up and send them soundly to their rooms to THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU DID.
I left a note for Laura, apologizing for the kids.
I bake a big brownie and top it with chocolate icing, and let it cool, worrying Laura won't understand.
When she gets home she calls and I tell her what has transpired, and she is okay with it. They were shopping and the girls weren't there and she understands the boys were waiting for the girls to come home.
I let the boys come down stairs after a few hours. A half hour later (can you say neglectful parents), the top of the brownie cake has now been eaten from atop the stove by the 4 year old! I can't believe they didn't get chocolate poisoning (is there such a thing?)
Laura forgives them and us but I'll never let them out of my sight again.
This is what I call the 'chocolate cake incident'.
So now, what is the 'noodle incident' ? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

TheNoodleIncident said:
I tend cook by my instincts, using recipes only as a guide, but am not afraid to look up or ask questions when needed (hence, joining this forum)....i love to learn techniques and principals of cooking, as opposed to recipes, because a recipe can only take you so far,

Welcome Mike...I like this quote....^^^^^

Happy Birthday too!!

Have Fun!!!

I love Calvin and Hobbes. Welcome. I have more kitchen incidents than I want to remember. I cook on a wood cook stove. Talk about disasters...oh my.
But any cooking question you have can be answered in spades here! You have come to the right place.

I'm a huge Calvin and Hobbes fan too! Welcome, and happy belated birthday!

:)Barbara
(Click on the picture to see my birthday dance!)

Attachments

• Birthdaydance.gif
    Birthdaydance.gif
    39.9 KB · Views: 259
thanks everyone for the b-day wishes (and dances)! and happy to see that my "philosophy" is appreciated haha

great cake story! i think i would get along with your kids

glad to see im not the only C&A fan here...and though it would be best to learn about the noodle incident by reading the comics, i'll let you know what it is - but i cant! i don't know what it is - only calvin and hobbes do....its one of those things that is occasionally referred to in the comic, which calvin denies being guilty of (or at least says there is no evidence to prove his guilt), but it's never actually explained....just a running gag that is left up to the reader's imagination
anyway, that's off topic...thanks again, and looking forward to the forums

Back
Top Bottom