"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2018, 04:57 PM   #11
Head Chef

Welcome to DC, Scott

Ross

Old 09-13-2018, 06:08 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome Scott. This is a great place to come to for learning to cook. Lots in information, laughs, and fun. So stick around we look forward to helping you stay healthy.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:08 AM   #13
Head Chef

Hello, Scott. Welcome to DC.
cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:49 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Thanks Joel
to be honest, at the moment I'm looking for recipes that are quick and relatively simple, as I work log hours and don't really have much time in the evenings.
Scott-180 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:36 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Welcome Scott...

You might try keeping a couple of hard boiled eggs in the fridge - great for a quick sandwich, add to a salad, eat out of hand.
Also some poached chicken, either breasts or thighs, not so much legs but then again... why not? Good for shredding or chunking into a sandwich, salad or with some gravy. Also good to eat out of hand.

When you have time - look for recipes that can be prepared ahead. Prep them, hold in the fridge - and quick whip them together when you get home.
When you do have time to roast something - the leftovers are amazing to do all of the above as well. Hot roast beef or chicken sandwich, Yummy!

Slice and dice your vegies when you get home from shopping and keep them in containers or plastic bags. This way you can just grab and throw into your meal without the hassle of prepping them - they're already prepped!

When I don't feel like cooking it is usually because the prep work is daunting when I'm just too tired.
But throwing a handful of this and that grabbed out of a bag - then adding some shrimp/chicken/beef into the pan with a splash of some sauce, throw in that last bit of rice from the back of the fridge - instant meal.

and if you need help/advice/encouragement or just a laugh or virtual hug - you found the right place!
Old 09-16-2018, 12:40 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Welcome Scott...

You might try keeping a couple of hard boiled eggs in the fridge - great for a quick sandwich, add to a salad, eat out of hand.
Also some poached chicken, either breasts or thighs, not so much legs but then again... why not? Good for shredding or chunking into a sandwich, salad or with some gravy. Also good to eat out of hand.

When you have time - look for recipes that can be prepared ahead. Prep them, hold in the fridge - and quick whip them together when you get home.
When you do have time to roast something - the leftovers are amazing to do all of the above as well. Hot roast beef or chicken sandwich, Yummy!

Slice and dice your vegies when you get home from shopping and keep them in containers or plastic bags. This way you can just grab and throw into your meal without the hassle of prepping them - they're already prepped!

When I don't feel like cooking it is usually because the prep work is daunting when I'm just too tired.
But throwing a handful of this and that grabbed out of a bag - then adding some shrimp/chicken/beef into the pan with a splash of some sauce, throw in that last bit of rice from the back of the fridge - instant meal.

and if you need help/advice/encouragement or just a laugh or virtual hug - you found the right place!
Wow, that you very much for the advice. These are just the kind of techniques that I need and will make my life a lot easier. I'm looking forward to trying all these methods!
Scott-180 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:05 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott-180 View Post
Wow, that you very much for the advice. These are just the kind of techniques that I need and will make my life a lot easier. I'm looking forward to trying all these methods!
Well, shame on us if we let you starve! We'd have to burn our aprons

Do you have much freezer space? Rice & mashed potatoes freeze well and defrost quick to add to a meal. I freeze them in serving size portions so as to be able to grab one or two servings when wanted.

« Hello from the UK. | - »