The new guy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott-180

Assistant Cook
Hi everybody!

Im living on my own and having to fend for myself for the first time so looking to forward to learning more about cooking so that I don't starve to death! :chef:

Well, you've come to the right place!! Here you'll get loads of help. Have a think about the dishes you want to do, or any - and I mean ANYTHING you query, and help is on your side. Don't think that any question may be banal or silly, we're all here to help and we're on your side. Looking forward to read you. As they say in France :"courage mon brave" - "be courageus, my friend" and help is on your side.

Looking forward to your first query

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Welcome! I hope you will find cooking to be more than a way to keep from starving. It is a very satisfying endeavor. I hope you soon get to enjoy the moment when you eat something you cooked and thinking, "Wow, I made that!"

CD

Welcome Scott. This is a great place to come to for learning to cook. Lots in information, laughs, and fun. So stick around we look forward to helping you stay healthy.

Thanks Joel
to be honest, at the moment I'm looking for recipes that are quick and relatively simple, as I work log hours and don't really have much time in the evenings.

Welcome Scott...

You might try keeping a couple of hard boiled eggs in the fridge - great for a quick sandwich, add to a salad, eat out of hand.
Also some poached chicken, either breasts or thighs, not so much legs but then again... why not? Good for shredding or chunking into a sandwich, salad or with some gravy. Also good to eat out of hand.

When you have time - look for recipes that can be prepared ahead. Prep them, hold in the fridge - and quick whip them together when you get home.
When you do have time to roast something - the leftovers are amazing to do all of the above as well. Hot roast beef or chicken sandwich, Yummy!

Slice and dice your vegies when you get home from shopping and keep them in containers or plastic bags. This way you can just grab and throw into your meal without the hassle of prepping them - they're already prepped!

When I don't feel like cooking it is usually because the prep work is daunting when I'm just too tired.
But throwing a handful of this and that grabbed out of a bag - then adding some shrimp/chicken/beef into the pan with a splash of some sauce, throw in that last bit of rice from the back of the fridge - instant meal.

and if you need help/advice/encouragement or just a laugh or virtual hug - you found the right place!

Welcome Scott...

You might try keeping a couple of hard boiled eggs in the fridge - great for a quick sandwich, add to a salad, eat out of hand.
Also some poached chicken, either breasts or thighs, not so much legs but then again... why not? Good for shredding or chunking into a sandwich, salad or with some gravy. Also good to eat out of hand.

When you have time - look for recipes that can be prepared ahead. Prep them, hold in the fridge - and quick whip them together when you get home.
When you do have time to roast something - the leftovers are amazing to do all of the above as well. Hot roast beef or chicken sandwich, Yummy!

Slice and dice your vegies when you get home from shopping and keep them in containers or plastic bags. This way you can just grab and throw into your meal without the hassle of prepping them - they're already prepped!

When I don't feel like cooking it is usually because the prep work is daunting when I'm just too tired.
But throwing a handful of this and that grabbed out of a bag - then adding some shrimp/chicken/beef into the pan with a splash of some sauce, throw in that last bit of rice from the back of the fridge - instant meal.

and if you need help/advice/encouragement or just a laugh or virtual hug - you found the right place!

Wow, that you very much for the advice. These are just the kind of techniques that I need and will make my life a lot easier. I'm looking forward to trying all these methods!

Wow, that you very much for the advice. These are just the kind of techniques that I need and will make my life a lot easier. I'm looking forward to trying all these methods!

Well, shame on us if we let you starve! We'd have to burn our aprons :cry: :cry: :w00t:

Do you have much freezer space? Rice & mashed potatoes freeze well and defrost quick to add to a meal. I freeze them in serving size portions so as to be able to grab one or two servings when wanted.

Back
Top Bottom