"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 09-19-2012, 02:11 AM   #11
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Welcome to DC!

Old 09-19-2012, 05:15 AM   #12
Flour Child

Hello there Lampie. Welcome. Did you do the artwork for your avatar? I like the bright colors.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:21 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi and a big welcome to DC
Old 09-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePunkHippie View Post
*laughs* I'm a bit young to know of that, but I'll have to look into it! Thanks for bringing it up :)
It means that shelf stable foods will involve you canning or dehydrating food yourself or (this is where the chemicals come in) purchasing shelf stable products, a lot of which contain preservatives I personally don't want to eat.

There are folks that offer foraging classes that may help you suppliment pantry items. Probably won't help in winter though.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
Hello there Lampie. Welcome. Did you do the artwork for your avatar? I like the bright colors.
Yes I did - thank you! I work with pencil crayons & I love bright colours as well :)
Old 09-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
TL;DR is internet slang for 'Too Long; Didn't Read'
I'm just poking fun at myself because I know I usually go on & on when introducing myself :D
I was given my online moniker - Chief Longwind of the North. at least partially by a good friend. I live in Sault Ste. Marie, MI, just accross the river from Sault Ste. Marie, Ont. If you're ever in the area, give us a holler, and maybe we can fire up the grill, you and yours, and me an my DW. We are in our late 50's, and so might have a few years on you, but hey, a kindred spirit is a kindred spirit. Glad to see you here on DC. You'll like this place.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:04 AM   #17
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Yes I did - thank you! I work with pencil crayons & I love bright colours as well :)
**SHAMELESS PLUG**

Been doing some Crayon and Color pencil work the past week, so far, my favorite one:

My Second:

***END SHAMELESS PLUG***

I plan on going out and getting some watercolors for the desk work-space, but I use to do a LOT of acrylic work. SO easy, pretty forgiving, and cheap(depending on the canvas).

Do you work with any more mediums?
Old 09-20-2012, 01:38 AM   #18
Half Baked

If the van doesn't have a converter make sure you get a portable one or a plug in 6v-110 one so you have 110 power. You can use a variety of small appliances like a crock pot etc. and charge stuff up too like a battery blender. You could cook dinner while you drive. Cheaper than propane too. Xantrex makes some good portable ones that can jump a dead battery,fill a tire,play a crappy built-in radio or run a 110 appliance or the like for quite a while. I would consider both. I use an old plug in one from from a previous laptop and it can handle 13 amps I think. I carry the Xantrex when we travel. I have jumped alot of dead batteries that were in camp spots that a second car could not get to.

Another camping tip is to always know the nearest hospital to your destination before you get there and directions. We tend to use this alot while on vacation it seems. Somebody always gets hurt!

Hey! BTW.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:38 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC! I'm in SE Ontario (rural Ottawa). Love Lake Superior--Thunder Bay sounds like a good place to spend the summer...I'd probably head south for the winter!
Old 09-20-2012, 08:14 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
Do you work with any more mediums?

I've done some work with acrylics (not much, I had to do a painting for a story I illustrate)

I've also done a bit with watercolour - I use it as a background & ink over top of it