TL;DR: I'm awesome :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThePunkHippie

Assistant Cook
Hi, I figured I should introduce myself :)

My name's Melanie, but I go by Lampie. I've been working as a freelance artist since around 2001. In 2006 I quit my call center job, & figured out ways to save money so I could afford to stay home on my fiance's income. I cook a lot of things from scratch & hardly ever buy convenience foods. I've been in charge of meals in my house for 10+ years now, & I love finding new recipes.
I use a program called Living Cookbook - I bought it back in 2005 & at the time I had a HUGE obsession with cookbooks; I had over 200.
Since then I've managed to get rid of most of them, I have about 10 that I'm keeping, & the rest I've been getting rid of (donating or selling) as I copy the recipes I want to keep from them.

My fiance & I are planning on living in a van starting the spring of 2014, & in preparation for this I've been doing a lot of research on foods that don't need to be refrigerated, & recipes that can be made from these foods. I'm actually planning on publishing a book once I've gotten enough recipes. It's going to be called Refried Brains: Recipes for after the Zombie Apocalypse.
The van we've got has a 3-burner stove, so the recipes in the book are all going to be things that can be prepared on a stovetop/over an open flame. I want this book to be helpful to people who camp often, people who live where electricity & refrigeration isn't reliable, & people who are trying to stock their bomb/emergency shelters as well as people living in RVs.

I'm also a gamer, & I love old, classic games (I especially love the Sega Master System). I play newer stuff too, but not as much, & not the 'popular' stuff. I'm actually in the middle of replaying Suikoden 2 right now, & it's got the best mini-game I've ever encountered in a video game - the cooking competition! If they made a game based off that, I would play the heck out of it! :D

I'm looking forward to hanging out here & learning more about cooking techniques :)

Welcome to DC! Sounds like your book might be a retro 60's-70's tribute to the "better living through chemistry crowd"!:mrgreen:

TL;DR is internet slang for 'Too Long; Didn't Read'
I'm just poking fun at myself because I know I usually go on & on when introducing myself :D

Hi Melanie! I'm a "gamer" as well but I play a lot of the newer stuff, although I grew up on the older ones! I play Minecraft with my 8 year old, then have tried wow, rift, swtor, tera, eve and most recently guildwars2. if you ever saw me in real life you would never believe I love them so much! :LOL:
Nice to meet you, your idea of the cookbook is great. I have a co- worker who would buy it just for the name!

*laughs* I'm a bit young to know of that, but I'll have to look into it! Thanks for bringing it up :)

It means that shelf stable foods will involve you canning or dehydrating food yourself or (this is where the chemicals come in) purchasing shelf stable products, a lot of which contain preservatives I personally don't want to eat.

There are folks that offer foraging classes that may help you suppliment pantry items. Probably won't help in winter though.;)

TL;DR is internet slang for 'Too Long; Didn't Read'
I'm just poking fun at myself because I know I usually go on & on when introducing myself :D

I was given my online moniker - Chief Longwind of the North. at least partially by a good friend. I live in Sault Ste. Marie, MI, just accross the river from Sault Ste. Marie, Ont. If you're ever in the area, give us a holler, and maybe we can fire up the grill, you and yours, and me an my DW. We are in our late 50's, and so might have a few years on you, but hey, a kindred spirit is a kindred spirit. Glad to see you here on DC. You'll like this place.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Yes I did - thank you! I work with pencil crayons & I love bright colours as well :)

**SHAMELESS PLUG**

Been doing some Crayon and Color pencil work the past week, so far, my favorite one:

7984809173_6b187c9c00_b.jpg

My Second:

7990928202_36ab3328e2_b.jpg

***END SHAMELESS PLUG***

I plan on going out and getting some watercolors for the desk work-space, but I use to do a LOT of acrylic work. SO easy, pretty forgiving, and cheap(depending on the canvas).

Do you work with any more mediums?

If the van doesn't have a converter make sure you get a portable one or a plug in 6v-110 one so you have 110 power. You can use a variety of small appliances like a crock pot etc. and charge stuff up too like a battery blender. You could cook dinner while you drive. Cheaper than propane too. Xantrex makes some good portable ones that can jump a dead battery,fill a tire,play a crappy built-in radio or run a 110 appliance or the like for quite a while. I would consider both. I use an old plug in one from from a previous laptop and it can handle 13 amps I think. I carry the Xantrex when we travel. I have jumped alot of dead batteries that were in camp spots that a second car could not get to.

Another camping tip is to always know the nearest hospital to your destination before you get there and directions. We tend to use this alot while on vacation it seems. Somebody always gets hurt!

Hey! BTW.

Welcome to DC! I'm in SE Ontario (rural Ottawa). Love Lake Superior--Thunder Bay sounds like a good place to spend the summer...I'd probably head south for the winter!

Back
Top Bottom