"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 09-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

TL;DR: I'm awesome :D

Hi, I figured I should introduce myself :)

My name's Melanie, but I go by Lampie. I've been working as a freelance artist since around 2001. In 2006 I quit my call center job, & figured out ways to save money so I could afford to stay home on my fiance's income. I cook a lot of things from scratch & hardly ever buy convenience foods. I've been in charge of meals in my house for 10+ years now, & I love finding new recipes.
I use a program called Living Cookbook - I bought it back in 2005 & at the time I had a HUGE obsession with cookbooks; I had over 200.
Since then I've managed to get rid of most of them, I have about 10 that I'm keeping, & the rest I've been getting rid of (donating or selling) as I copy the recipes I want to keep from them.

My fiance & I are planning on living in a van starting the spring of 2014, & in preparation for this I've been doing a lot of research on foods that don't need to be refrigerated, & recipes that can be made from these foods. I'm actually planning on publishing a book once I've gotten enough recipes. It's going to be called Refried Brains: Recipes for after the Zombie Apocalypse.
The van we've got has a 3-burner stove, so the recipes in the book are all going to be things that can be prepared on a stovetop/over an open flame. I want this book to be helpful to people who camp often, people who live where electricity & refrigeration isn't reliable, & people who are trying to stock their bomb/emergency shelters as well as people living in RVs.

I'm also a gamer, & I love old, classic games (I especially love the Sega Master System). I play newer stuff too, but not as much, & not the 'popular' stuff. I'm actually in the middle of replaying Suikoden 2 right now, & it's got the best mini-game I've ever encountered in a video game - the cooking competition! If they made a game based off that, I would play the heck out of it! :D

I'm looking forward to hanging out here & learning more about cooking techniques :)

Old 09-18-2012, 05:37 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Welcome to DC! Sounds like your book might be a retro 60's-70's tribute to the "better living through chemistry crowd"!

Old 09-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

*laughs* I'm a bit young to know of that, but I'll have to look into it! Thanks for bringing it up :)
Old 09-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Welcome to DC! What does TL;DR mean?
Old 09-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

TL;DR is internet slang for 'Too Long; Didn't Read'
I'm just poking fun at myself because I know I usually go on & on when introducing myself :D
Old 09-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Hello. Ontario is a big province. Can you narrow that down for me so I can watch for your van when it drives by?
Old 09-18-2012, 06:20 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

*laughs* Belleville for now, but once 2014 comes, we'll probably be heading up to Thunder Bay for the summer
Old 09-18-2012, 08:11 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Howdy!
Welcome to D.C.!
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Hi Melanie! I'm a "gamer" as well but I play a lot of the newer stuff, although I grew up on the older ones! I play Minecraft with my 8 year old, then have tried wow, rift, swtor, tera, eve and most recently guildwars2. if you ever saw me in real life you would never believe I love them so much!
Nice to meet you, your idea of the cookbook is great. I have a co- worker who would buy it just for the name!
Old 09-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Welcome Lampie!