Today for my B-Day..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SueBear

Senior Cook
I decided to make homemade Lemon Biscotti and they turned out pretty good being as it was my first attempt. I was thinking about my great grandmother earlier today and this is something she does every time this year with it being the Easter holiday so I decided to carry on the tradition. I think the next time I make them I'm going to do a plain Anise Biscotti instead of anything fancy.

Something I'm having an issue with is rolling them out. My stand mixer was fantastic!! I loved the fact that I could use something like that when it came to mixing the ingredients together especially the flour and I had the hook. I didn't have to worry about doing it by hand which was a total blessing to say the least. Now I don't feel so intimidated with the machine and I know what can be done with it. This was the first time I've tried using the hook so that was a lot of fun!! I probably sound like a kid in a candy store but that was really cool watching it pick up everything.

Anyway. As I mentioned the only thing I'm having trouble with is getting my biscotti rolled out. They came out fine but I am questioning how others do it when they need to roll them onto the cookie sheet. If you could give me a few pointers I would greatly appreciate it. I floured my hands before forming and stretching the dough onto the cookie sheet but I have to wonder if there was a step that I missed. What I question is do you use the rolling pin or just your hands?

My husband made me a beautiful dinner last night to celebrate Lent. We had cod on the grill with butter rice then a side of steamed cauliflower, broccoli and carrot mix. It was quite nice. I haven't decided what we're doing tonight as he said was leaving the choice to me since it was my birthday.

I actually have been thinking about what to do for tomorrow and I'm not sure. I need to look in my deep freezer and see what I have available before I start planning. I suppose that would be the smartest thing to do.

Don't mind the ramble. I'm looking forward to hearing thoughts from others about the biscotti and if anyone has ideas on how I can improve they are greatly appreciated. I hope everyone has a joyful Easter however you choose to celebrate!

Sue

Well..."Happy Birthday, SueBear!" Sounds as though you've had a pleasant day so far. Hope your evening is birthdayalicious!

As for the biscotti, I'm not a biscotti maker so I can't help. As usual, someone will probably come along with some suggestions. You might also post your question in the baking or cookie forum.

I have never rolled biscotti ... I just form them into two logs (with my hands, like a mealtloaf) nearly the length of my stone, beit a flat one or bar pan. You can make smaller logs for mini biscotti, but I like the long ones for dunking. :)

Is there zest in your lemon recipe, or just extract?

Hope you are having a special day.
5.gif

I have never rolled biscotti ... I just form them into two logs (with my hands, like a mealtloaf) nearly the length of my stone, beit a flat one or bar pan. You can make smaller logs for mini biscotti, but I like the long ones for dunking. :)

I used Penzey's lemon zest in the recipe. I will remember that idea of doing the logs instead of how I had done it. This was my first time making them and I already decided I'll be trying the recipe again in the near future to get it right because they are easy.

Thanks for your help!

Thank you for the B-day wishes everyone. I greatly appreciate your thoughts. I will let you know when I try my next batch. Hopefully it should be sometime next few weeks but I will be in touch!

I agree! At school we just formed our biscotti into logs on the baking sheet and they turned out great every time.

Happy belated birthday SueBear!

I agree! At school we just formed our biscotti into logs on the baking sheet and they turned out great every time.

Happy belated birthday SueBear!

Thank you Laurie. If you don't mind me asking, when you formed them into logs, how did you do it? I am assuming the easiest way to do it is take the all of dough and place it onto the cookie sheet. This is a little confusing to me since I am a visual person since I cannot see it, I am a little unsure.

Thanks for your feedback, I greatly appreciate it.

Thank you Laurie. If you don't mind me asking, when you formed them into logs, how did you do it? I am assuming the easiest way to do it is take the all of dough and place it onto the cookie sheet. This is a little confusing to me since I am a visual person since I cannot see it, I am a little unsure.

Thanks for your feedback, I greatly appreciate it.

My biscotti recipe says to divide the dough in half and make two logs out of it. I take the lump of dough and gently press it with my hands, to flatten and spread it out, till it's 12-14 inches long, 4 inches wide and 1/2-inch to 1-inch tall, tapering from the center to the sides. HTH.

My biscotti recipe says to divide the dough in half and make two logs out of it. I take the lump of dough and gently press it with my hands, to flatten and spread it out, till it's 12-14 inches long, 4 inches wide and 1/2-inch to 1-inch tall, tapering from the center to the sides. HTH.

Thanks, GG, I was trying to make some biscotti yesterday and take pictures of my steps, but I didn't get there.

Your way is very similar to how I learned. SueBear, just keep working it with your hands - it won't hurt the dough to keep working it until you get it the shape you want. And depending on your recipe size, the two logs are easier to shape than one and the pieces are just the right size.

Have fun and let us know how your next batch turns out!

Back
Top Bottom