"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!
Old 01-06-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Trying to lose

Hello everyone,

I just joined these forums today in an attempt to find some good diets,recipes, and support as I continue (try ) to lose weight. I am 16 years old and used to way 206 pounds, but have managed to make it down to 187! That was before Christmas break and while tennis was still in full motion

Well I gained 4 pounds over the break and my main goal is to get down to 150 and stay there if possible. I like playing tennis A LOT, but running is the most boring activity in the world to me so jogging daily doesn't really keepmy attention (unfortunately). So I came here to try to get back on a healthy diet and to continue losing by eating right.

Thanks for all your support and good luck!

Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:14 PM   #2
Executive Chef
Welcome, Brady!! I'm so glad to see you here. I have a 16 year old son, too. I'm seriously impressed with your weight loss so far - good for you! You've made a lot of progress. Don't beat yourself up about gaining the 4 pounds over the holidays - it happens to everyone. But here you are getting back on track!! People here are very friendly and helpful and there are a lot of us trying to lose weight, too. So jump in and let us know what you need.

Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:18 PM   #3
Assistant Cook
Thanks for the welcome!

I can already tell that everyone here is supportive and helpful by the few posts I have glanced at. At the moment, I'm searching for a " 1 week plan" if you'd like to call it that where I can plan out my meals ahead of time. I have noticed that I do better when I know what I'm going to eat and don't tempt myself.

Anyways, thanks for the response
Old 01-07-2009, 12:38 AM   #4
Senior Cook
Brady, Congrats on the weight loss and kudos to you for wanting to get healthy. This has been a great tool for me staying on track with my health as well. Welcome!!
snack_pack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:57 AM   #5
Assistant Cook
Send a message via MSN to bankai
Hey Brady - congrats on the weight loss. I think running is boring too - you're not alone. I've recently learnt that pumping my ipod as loud as possible and just going for a walk is the best way to get out there and clear my head.

If you lived close by i'd definitely take you on in a game of tennis ^_^

FYI you may be interested in this thread:
Is it alright to be hungry?
bankai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:00 AM   #6
Sous Chef
Congrats on the weight loss and welcome to DC. I am perpetualy in weight loss mode, though I make little progress.
Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once.
Lefty7887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:13 AM   #7
Sous Chef
Welcome to the forums!

A word of warning, we have a healthy eating section, but overall this is not a "diet" forum. You will find many recipes that are part of a balanced meal, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are low cal., low fat, low carb., etc. Just be mindful of what you are eating, and enjoy the forums!
I ain't got no sprinkle cheese. All I got's this here Velveeta cheese...
RobsanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:22 AM   #8
Executive Chef
Great job on losing weight so far! It sounds like you've figured out the first step....determination.

I've been watching my calorie intake and exercising on a regular basis. It's a slow start in the beginning, but you gradually see a difference. When I first saw a change it made me want to exercise even harder. Create your own workout

Our situations are apples and oranges, mine is more toning and mainly cardio (quit smoking) but both require alot of time and focus.
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:52 AM   #9
Sous Chef
Nice to meet you Brady! Welcome to DC!!
Mess with me and you mess with the whole trailer park!!!
smoke king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:14 PM   #10
Assistant Cook
Thanks everyone. Haha and if I lived anywhere near Australlia we'd have a match, but unfortunately I don't.

And yes, after much exploring I have realized theres a diet section. My only problem with walking is it seems that after I tried it for a month I made little progress which was frustrating, but hey maybe I'll give it another shot