"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 11-20-2007, 12:53 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Turkey in new Electric Oven

Hi, all,
I am a new member and am about 48 hours away from putting in a 17 pounder turkey in my "virgin" electric oven. I had gas oven prior to this one. I had never cooked with a convection oven before. Any tips? For example, How about pre-warming the oven? should I cover the bird the first 15 minutes?

I know this size probably would have taken about 5.5 hours with my previous gas oven. How long should I expect with this new one?

Another question please,if I may? What kind of wine would ideally go with a Parmigianno Reggiano cheese? I randomly picked (not very good judge of cheeses) a pack and tried a small piece and tasted it and it is good.

Thanks so much.
Perla

Old 11-20-2007, 01:13 AM   #2
Hospitality Queen

Hi Perla & Welcome to DiscussCooking!

Kitchen Aid suggests that in your covection oven, that you cook your turkey at 300 degrees, for 10-15 minutes per pound, providing the bird is 13 pounds and under. If the bird is larger, you ought to go with 10-12 minutes per pound.

Always make sure your turkey's internal temp is 180.

As for the wine, I'm not much help, but tomorrow there will be many folks who can help :)

Old 11-20-2007, 02:22 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Welcome Perla! Can't help on the turkey - don't cook them, although I did cook turkey bonbons last New Year, but that doesn't count! Anyway, I would never put food into a cold oven, irrespective of its heating method. Always prewarm.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:28 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Can't help w/ the oven, but I absolutely love a chardonnay with parmesan or swiss cheese. Or a Pinot Grigio. MMM. It's got to be 5:00 somewhere! PM, not a.m.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:20 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Well Suzi it is 8:20pm while I type this in Perth which is nearly 50 mins after you posted, so definitely cheese and wine time!
Old 11-20-2007, 06:23 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Ahhh but by the time I get there it's 5 a.m again!!!!
Old 11-20-2007, 06:26 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Just pretend - the sky is almost completely dark, the wind is picking up and its a bit chill. A nice rich red would warm up the toes, with a nice bit of blue and some nashi pear on a Breton biscuit - or pick a brand that means something to you. Sit back in the arm chair and just relaxxxx and let the day's tension just fall away.... (ignore the kids in the other room) Ahhhhh....
Old 11-20-2007, 06:41 AM   #8
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
I have always used electric stoves. You must preheat, (use oven thermometer) to desired heat. Turkey I use 325' - your big bird should take 3-3 1/2 hrs. (unstuffed), maybe and hour more stuffed. I would start checking thigh temp. after 3 hrs. 180 should be your goal. I don't cover unless browning too fast, then so with a tent of foil. Good luck.

Sorry this is for conventional oven - oops!
Old 11-20-2007, 09:45 AM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perla Simmons View Post
Hi, all,
I am a new member and am about 48 hours away from putting in a 17 pounder turkey in my "virgin" electric oven. I had gas oven prior to this one. I had never cooked with a convection oven before. Any tips? For example, How about pre-warming the oven? should I cover the bird the first 15 minutes?

I know this size probably would have taken about 5.5 hours with my previous gas oven. How long should I expect with this new one?

Another question please,if I may? What kind of wine would ideally go with a Parmigianno Reggiano cheese? I randomly picked (not very good judge of cheeses) a pack and tried a small piece and tasted it and it is good.

Thanks so much.
Perla
In a convection oven... I would go with 375 for 2.5 hours for a 17lb turkey. Convection ovens significantly reduce cooking times. We used a convection oven last year and it made one of the best turkeys I have had come our of an oven..
Old 11-20-2007, 11:56 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Great to meet you Perla. I love chardonnay with Parmesan cheese. Best of luck with your turkey.