"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 07-21-2012, 04:03 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post

Get a quality set of knives! They will set you back, but if cared for, are something that can be passed to the next generation. Just like quality cookware.
How much will they set me back?

Old 07-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #12
Executive Chef

You do realize that cooks don't make a pile of money, do you? To make a decent salary, you have to get into management, or become an executive chef. Then, you end up managing more than cooking. Been there, done that. Probably will have to do it again....

Old 07-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
You do realize that cooks don't make a pile of money, do you? To make a decent salary, you have to get into management, or become an executive chef. Then, you end up managing more than cooking. Been there, done that. Probably will have to do it again....
Yes I do realize that, I just want to give it a shot see how I like it, and money isn't a big thing to me. I mean yes I want to be able to buy kitchen equipment and good food. But I am not a materialistic person.

Just need the money to pay for rent to split with my friends, gas, food, and minor expenses.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I'll only say this. Keep in mind that turning something you enjoy into a profession can often make it no longer enjoyable. Make sure you are truly passionate about it, or it may simply become a "job".
+1

Been there, did that, different profession.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Hello and welcome to DC
Old 07-21-2012, 08:11 PM   #16
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I would be happy to fill you in on aspects of the industry, that may not be appropriate to go live on the board with. . . feel free to PM me. I have been in the industry for about 17 years.

One thing to keep in mind: it is NOT a glamorous job, like the Food network would have you believe. Be prepared to say good bye to nights, weekends, holidays, family, and take on a "New" family, those you work with.

With no training, be prepared to work LONG hours, for crap pay. . .especially in FL, where there are 5 other people(immigrants) willing to work TWICE as hard, TWICE as long, for LESS pay. It will NOT be a creative outlet until way later in the game, so be prepared to make the same things, over, and over, and over, all for someone else.

Don't go into it thinking you will get rich. Be prepared to deal with a LOT of ego's. Be prepared to get broken, and rebuilt if you fall under the tutelage of a capable Chef.

If I had spent 4 years in University, I would focus on THAT, and take up cooking as a hobby, maybe get a part time gig in a kitchen, do a week long stage somewhere on your own time/dime.

Being a better cook than most students doesn't translate to much in the industry. . .for the 4 years you have been in University, someone else has been getting a 4 year heads start over you. . .It is a labor of love. If you are NOT passionate about it, and on your game 100%, it shows in the food, and reflects in your product.

. . . not saying it can't be done, but there are a LOT of unrealistic expectations out there because of the raging popularity that being a "Chef" has become. It is NOT like on TV, at all.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:13 PM   #17
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coballs View Post
How much will they set me back?
Hundreds. . .it depends on what you are looking to get into. Like all tools, it's an investment. $700 for a fair set of knives seems a lot, but they will last decades.

Quality doesn't cost, it pays.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I agree with TR. I've never once envied anybody in the culinary industry, with the possible exception of media chefs like Gordon Ramsay, Rick Bayless, Mario Batali and other top chefs who are famous not only for their cooking TV programs but who are all successful restauranteurs. Yet for every chef in this category there are millions who are sous chefs at McDonald's and Taco Bell, perhaps many of them working graveyard shifts for minimum wages.

I have enjoyed being an amateur chef for many decades, and one of my best decisions was to never, ever consider going into the industry.

OP, if you are serious, my advice is to get some professional cooking school experience.

It would be interesting if you can comment on what subject area you studied in, OP.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:17 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

^ not sure what OP means.

And I understand the crappy hours and pay, but right now in my life it is the only thing I am strongly interested in pursuing.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #20
Sous Chef

I realize that some people have the good fortune to land on their feet in their perfect dream profession. But I don't think cooking better than the average student really fits the qualifications to step into a food industry job much above fry cook at a fast food. A friend has been taking classes for years and has finally landed a job as a pastry chef in a restaurant but he's still flipping burgers during the week. I do wish you the best of luck and hope your enthusiasm gets you there.

« HI | Hello »