Vegan cook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VegGuy

Assistant Cook
Mornin'

Been cooking "seriously" for 17 years. Been cooking vegan for 10 years. Been cooking gluten-free and vegan for 3 years.

Came on here because I'm out of ideas...

Welcome. I don't cook from recipes, but I get inspired by what other people are cooking, and get a lot of inspiration here.

CD

Welcome to DC, VegGuy....

My eating habits should have had me expired years ago but, I do enjoy reading others diet concern recipes...

Welcome to DC! I made this the other night:

Recipe Search Results

I left out the chicken (obviously), used veggie stock, added chickpeas, tomatoes, and coconut milk. It was darned tasty. I used butternut squash and toasted the seeds (tossed with some of the seasoning) for garnish and served a cucumber raita with some of the fennel fronds chopped up on top. You should be able to take almost any chicken recipe and substitute chickpeas, tofu, paneer, mushrooms, or eggplant for the chicken.

Mornin'

Been cooking "seriously" for 17 years. Been cooking vegan for 10 years. Been cooking gluten-free and vegan for 3 years.

Came on here because I'm out of ideas...

Just curious. I understand vegetarian and even vegan. But, gluten free seems to be the new "thing." I have a cousin with celiac disease, so he can't eat gluten. But, a lot of people who can eat it, don't, for some reason.

Can anyone fill me in?

CD

Just curious. I understand vegetarian and even vegan. But, gluten free seems to be the new "thing." I have a cousin with celiac disease, so he can't eat gluten. But, a lot of people who can eat it, don't, for some reason.

Can anyone fill me in?

CD
There's a new food fad every five years or so. This is the current one.

Anyone else have a possibly differing answer? I would honestly like to hear from a gluten-free cook. VegGuy, I really would value your thoughts on this. I like to understand things.

Unlike some people, I don't know everything.

CD

Can anyone fill me in?

CD

I don't know why people fall into these fad dietary trends. I even gave my wife grief until the doctor tested everything and came back with the results.

My goal is to open an "allergy friendly" restaurant some day because I think I've been exposed to damn near every kind there is! Also worked with one sickly person who was allergic to every kind of oxalates in addition to other gluten and beans. Their diet was basically white rice and boiled chicken.

There are people with some massive health-risks they need to avoid in their diets. Why someone would voluntarily give a food up as part of a trend is beyond me though. It makes the ones who have genuine issues look like nitpicking, cry-babies.

I don't know why people fall into these fad dietary trends. I even gave my wife grief until the doctor tested everything and came back with the results.

My goal is to open an "allergy friendly" restaurant some day because I think I've been exposed to damn near every kind there is! Also worked with one sickly person who was allergic to every kind of oxalates in addition to other gluten and beans. Their diet was basically white rice and boiled chicken.

There are people with some massive health-risks they need to avoid in their diets. Why someone would voluntarily give a food up as part of a trend is beyond me though. It makes the ones who have genuine issues look like nitpicking, cry-babies.

Thanks! I can certainly relate to cooking good food for people who can't eat what I eat. My mom has dietary restrictions, so she makes some requests at restaurants, and I will never forget this one time that the executive chef came to the table, and asked my mom about her order, and actually listened to her, and told her he was going to make a special preparation just for her. She loved it.

CD

Hey VegGuy,
What part of NY are you in, and can you recommend any vegetarian/ vegan restaurants in NY ?

Im always looking for a new restaurant where I can eat everything on the menu.

Hey VegGuy,
What part of NY are you in, and can you recommend any vegetarian/ vegan restaurants in NY ?

Im always looking for a new restaurant where I can eat everything on the menu.

About 1 hour north of the city. I just moved back to the area after almost 15 years away, so I'm still looking around, myself. Indian and Asian food are usually my default choices though.

And then there's always my good friend, Chipotle :D

Anyone else have a possibly differing answer? I would honestly like to hear from a gluten-free cook. VegGuy, I really would value your thoughts on this. I like to understand things.

Unlike some people, I don't know everything.

CD

Who said anything about knowing everything? I know what I think and I speak my mind. If you don't like it, that's your problem.

If you're looking for specific answers to your questions, you should make that clear upfront.

Is popcorn vegetarian? I need some. This is fun.

Hiya, VegGuy. are you an hour North of the city on the East or West of the Hudson?

On a serious note, I wonder why folks seem to be trending towards allergic reaction to so many things? Out of 6 siblings in my family, we have a bit of everything, including my next eldest sis who has a multitude of nutritional no-nos.
Her 4 children haven't exhibited any of that, but another sis has kids with the same extreme dietary restrictions.

Just be sure to be checked by several different doctors before you commit to a regime.

My brother is allergic to all things from the animal world and grains ( rice, barely, oats, wheat, rye), cant digest palm oil which cause sever pain , cant have bell pepper or chili and is it for now.

He cant even eat the bog standard vegan food, so I have to figure good food for him.

Chickpea mayo with roasted carrots on teff bread is a favorite for breakfast, dessert home made coconut ice cream with chickpea meringue and chocolate sauce or cocanut toffe sauce ( takes about 40 minutes to make) and dinner, I do far bit of old time yummy food for him, I live in a area where meat wasnt available for all and turnip was the go to food so I have lot of recipes.

But I also have a friend who is allergic to beans, cheese and there was two more things, then a friend who allrgic to carrots and I my self am all allergic to citrus and lactose intolerant and fiber intolerant. Yeah cooking here with friends get interesting but we all can have rhubarb.

I am not allergic to gluten, but I am on Low Carb, so I don't eat things with gluten. Raises my blood sugar too much. I am working towards a Ketogenic Diet to control my Diabetes and my Heart Conditions.

Back
Top Bottom