What do you do for work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Built buildings, mostly houses, most of my working life. Then owned a fish and chip shop, now retired as a volunteer adult literacy-numeracy tutor for those who struggle.

Operations Support Analyst here, but in the process of starting my own business with DH doing some catering and baking, party planning, murder mystery parties, etc. ... it is so hard to find a good bake/pastry shop here where I live and it's outrageous what the cake shops charge for wedding cakes, etc. so I'm hoping to be able to do them for a much lower price to get the business going. We have our first clients that we cater lunch for some of the medical staff at a local optometrist's office on a bi-weekly basis.

Operations Support Analyst here, but in the process of starting my own business with DH doing some catering and baking, party planning, murder mystery parties, etc. ... it is so hard to find a good bake/pastry shop here where I live and it's outrageous what the cake shops charge for wedding cakes, etc. so I'm hoping to be able to do them for a much lower price to get the business going. We have our first clients that we cater lunch for some of the medical staff at a local optometrist's office on a bi-weekly basis.

You see now that's what I dream of doing. Working side by side with my DH, except doing photography (weddings, etc...) and moving and settling in SC.

I recently retired (again) from a position as Training Director for a restaurant group. I have 25 years experience in food and beverage. I take care of two parents with Alzheimers who live with me. (I do have some nursing help!) I work on my website when time permits.

I'm part of a select team responsible for the creation, and implementation of physical, emotional and intellectual development for infants and toddlers. There is a long range component of the program that takes the plan through the entire education cycle.

To put it another way, I care for my grandson during the week while his parents work. Otherwise, I'm a retired finance and accounting manager.

I love this! how old is your grandbaby?

drug and alcohol counselor - per diem -
stay-at-home-Mama to my almost 3 year
old son and 6 year old daughter.

I do live theatre work. Lighting design/scene design/technical construction. I also handle administrative duties, contracts etc. for events for the University where I work.

Wow, other than the murder mystery parties, you are starting to do what I am doing. I cater, mostly weddings but have done luncheons and some private dinners, and I make and decorate all kinds of cakes. This summer I am very busy with weddings, including five very different and challenging cakes, and three receptions - a tea, an all-dessert and a picnic menu! I will also be teaching special diets cooking in the fall.

Translator. And when I'm shirking, keen vegetable gardener (novice but learning fast).

Andy M., loved your post.

went to school to be a Home Economics teacher, ended up marry my husband, start our own business 31 years ago, now i am welder, repair dept, bookeeper, electrician, plumber, cook, housekeeper -seamstress. When you work together with your husband for 31 years, you learn to do what ever is neccesary. If he is out on calls you have to be able to hold down the fort. In all the year we have only had besides our daughter joining forces till she was married 3 part time employees. The main job in all of this was learning to be with the hubbie all day and him with me. But we have done it as a team and now we have scaled way down to start retirement early @ 55. Plus the body tells us whoa what are you thinking- Your not 25 anymore. Our daughter grew up with our customers. running around the shop, then to getting us tools, then working after school, Family business. Now I have 3 grandsons this yesr they will be 9-6-3 yrs old and already the 9 yr old wants to learn to weld. told him when the helmet fits his head he can learn.

With everyone in the country struggling to survive these days - I known some people that have had high paying job and now laid off and struggling but they won't go to a lesser job. --Lets remenber A job is a job no matter what it is and be thankful you have one. Taking care of family is the highest and proudest job anyone can do whether you are delivering newpapers, scrubing toilets, working at a fast food rest. or a dept store, or behind that desk, you are working for the family and that is what is important. Pride isn't important- You will get that Pride when you see what you have done for the family.

I retired in 1999 at age 48 to stay home full time to manage the homestead. The last job I had, for >12 years, was a dietician in a nursing home. DH is still working but is winding down; he was self-employed mostly as a building contractor and to a lesser extent as a computer software writer.

We have a small farmette, raise a lot of the food we eat. We seem to be over the top in this catagory, we know of no one else who tries to raise as much of the food they eat as we do:huh::).

letscook said:
the 9 yr old wants to learn to weld. told him when the helmet fits his head he can learn.

:LOL:my husband did his first weld at the age of 2 1/2!!

Last edited by a moderator:
You see now that's what I dream of doing. Working side by side with my DH, except doing photography (weddings, etc...) and moving and settling in SC.

I love SC. The forecast for this week is beautiful... the lowest we will be at is 71 for one day and the rest of the week is high 70s and low to mid 80s.

As far as the business, it's been slower going than I had hoped, but the time we get to spend is great. I suggest starting local, do some friends and family to get your word of mouth out and then expand on that.:-p

LOL - first thing I ever programmed:

4506VV4007.jpg

Hated having to track down the burned wires on that bakelite board to "debug" a program!

Data entry (what CRT?)

4506VV4002.jpg

A database was a stack of punch cards - and we didn't need no stinkin software to sort data for us ... we had these puppys!

4506VV2185.jpg

Unfortunately, the Navy didn't want me for my programming abilities back in 1967 ... so I went medical for 20 years ... worked back into biomedical engineering (computer/med lab equipment interfacting, real-time data acquisition, analysis) - then back into full time programming (some legal, some mortgage banking but mostly soil/concrete dam engineering). Won a couple of awards from the Corps of Engineers for creating a LAN version of what would be the WWW a few years later - under DOS 3.0.

Currently - unemployed.

When IBM sent us to school (8 intensive months) we had to learn to
'program' every one of those machines using board and hard wiring
the 'program' with removable wires - those boards were so full of wires it was hard to see what you were doing. Software was much easier.
Callisto - my son and daughter are both IT and programmer respectively
and I look to them for help with my PC.

Back
Top Bottom