"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 05-05-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

What's that smell?

That's typically what I hear when my son gets home from school in the evenings because I have a bad habit of not having a signature dish and trying something new just about every night. I always come up with things that could have been done better but never get around to repeating the meal.

I'm 35 and work full-time here in Dallas, TX and have really enjoyed cooking and baking over the past few years since I finished going to school at night. My son is 17 so I have one more year, and then wonder who in the world I wil cook for. Maybe I can use my co-workers as testers

I've got a lot of interests, most of them fleeting as I have difficulty maintain long-term enjoyment in one thing. Luckily cooking and baking is something we must do to survive so it's stuck longer than anything.

Glad to be here! I look forward to figuring out why anything I do with spinach really doesn't go over well.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome VanReal
glad you found us..Enjoy

kadesma

Old 05-06-2009, 01:19 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Spinach huh??? Does it taste bitter? If so it could be over cooking. You can't really under cook spinach (you can eat it raw if you trust the source).
Old 05-06-2009, 08:15 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanReal View Post
My son is 17 so I have one more year, and then wonder who in the world I wil cook for. Maybe I can use my co-workers as testers
I have a dog. She never complains and seems appreciative for whatever I feed her. But then, coworkers are a little like dogs in that way, too.

Welcome aboard!

SRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:36 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanReal View Post
That's typically what I hear when my son gets home from school in the evenings because I have a bad habit of not having a signature dish and trying something new just about every night. I always come up with things that could have been done better but never get around to repeating the meal.

I'm 35 and work full-time here in Dallas, TX and have really enjoyed cooking and baking over the past few years since I finished going to school at night. My son is 17 so I have one more year, and then wonder who in the world I wil cook for. Maybe I can use my co-workers as testers

I've got a lot of interests, most of them fleeting as I have difficulty maintain long-term enjoyment in one thing. Luckily cooking and baking is something we must do to survive so it's stuck longer than anything.

Glad to be here! I look forward to figuring out why anything I do with spinach really doesn't go over well.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:05 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Saute some spinach and garlic in olive oil. Only saute until just wilted. Remove from heat. Add some dried raisins or cranberries and some nuts. I like cranberries and pine nuts together. My husband doesn't like spinach but will eat it this way.

Liz
Old 05-06-2009, 06:37 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Kids traditionally don't like spinach. It's in their wiring, you know. :-)

Try this.
Use 1/2 bag of spinach.
Remove the stems and wash the spinach well. Put it in a colendar under HOT running water and leave it while you are cooking.

Put a half pound of butter in the skillet and fry one-quarter pound of diced bacon in it. Thin slice an 8 ounces box of mushrooms and add to the skillet. When the bacon and mushrooms are cooked. Remove from heat.

Drain the spinach and shake off as much water as possible. Add to the skillet, Mix well and serve. Your child night even ask for seconds.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:46 PM   #8
Master Chef

i always liked spinach. in school at lunch everyone said no spinach yuck!! i said extra spinach please and they filled my plate up
Old 05-07-2009, 12:06 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Spinach is great. My kids want me to make a spinach alfredo pizza. I suppose that Friday is going to be my great experiment day.

I'll let you know how well that goes.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:12 AM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpandstir View Post
Spinach is great. My kids want me to make a spinach alfredo pizza. I suppose that Friday is going to be my great experiment day.

I'll let you know how well that goes.
sounds interesting. a creamed spinach with cheese added might work also.