Who I am

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Myrna Swyers

Assistant Cook
I just love to cook ! I live in Miami so we have a good many type cuisines here but my favorite is Cuban. I do a lot of Jamaican cooking too but it must be mild - I have a "wimp" palate. My stepfather was Chinese and I have cooked Chinese "most all my life". I am originally from St Louis and had many Italian friends there - they have the best Italian Restaurants in the world ! and of course all my friends cooked Italian. I had many Greek friends there, also, but Greek is not one of my favorite cuisines.

I am looking forward to this web site and the main reason I came here was to see what "saleratus" used for. I know it is baking soda but used in soup ! I saw an 1870 recipe and just wondered about it as it was new to me and I have been cooking for 60 years !

Ciao Myrna, welcome to DC, we are very happy to have you with us!! So you are into Cuban cuisine? I love to experiment with cuisines from different parts of the world, but I haven't got much opportunity yet to explore the caribbean food too much... I hope you can introduce some of them to us!!
But most of all, have fun!!

Hello Myrna! You sound like you have vast experiences in many regional delights! I can't wait to see some of your recipes!

Welcome!

Hey Myrna! :) You will love it here. There is so much to learn!
Your eclectic exposure intrigues me. I'm waiting to try a recipe from you!

Well, the Cubans almost always use what is called a "sofrito" in most of their dishes. My mom always made ox tail stew and this was the only way she used ox tails . But the Cubans ! a different story. Here is Rabo Encendito !

Salt and pepper about three pounds of nice lean ox tails.Brown in a pressure cooker (or can be stewed until tender), after having added about three cups water. Pressure cook about 40 minutes.

In a separate skillet ...

Make the "sofrito" by sauteeing a lg green pepper, large yellow onion, a few cloves crushed garlic and a can and a half tomato sauce in olive oil. Add some dry white wine (I use Cuban vino seco which is soooo cheap here but the ox tails are $3.99 a pound ! ), a can or small jar of chopped pimientos - they used these in everything, and the liquid that comes with it, and two bay leaves. Simmer slowly and when the ox tails are tender, combine with the sofrito and simmer until thick. I add a beef bouillion cube for extra body. Add more water or wine if too thick. Serve over steamed white rice. A hot crusty bread or salad goes well with it.When most of the meat is gone I use the left over sauce for spaghetti or linguini.

Be warned - I rarely measure anything -- so with my recipes you need to "eyeball " it most of the time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom