"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 11-25-2011, 12:14 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Why, Hello There! :)

Hi guys! My name is Ashland (you guys can call me Ash or Purple, I guess, if you want) and I am 19 years old, and am a senior in highschool. I also am a student at a vocational highschool in the culinary arts and hospitality field, and I have been there for two years, and this is my third year! :) I aspire to become a pastry chef, but right now, I'd like to expand my knowledge of food, as well as culinary ideas. :)

I love cooking and baking, but overall, I prefer baking, because it's more precise, and I love decorating things! :) It's super fun to me.

So, uhm, anyway... What's up, guys? :D

Old 11-25-2011, 12:32 AM   #2
Cupcake

Welcome to DC, Ash!

I've met some very fine cooks and bakers who got their start in high school. Be sure to share some of the things that you learn. Honestly, I'm a terrible baker. No patience for measuring. I do appreciate those that do it well!

Old 11-25-2011, 12:48 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
Welcome to DC, Ash!

I've met some very fine cooks and bakers who got their start in high school. Be sure to share some of the things that you learn. Honestly, I'm a terrible baker. No patience for measuring. I do appreciate those that do it well!
Thanks! :)

Yup, I started cooking and baking in my freshman year, although... Truthfully, I was more meek, and unsure of alot of things around then. I think going to vocational school for culinary arts has helped me more with confidence and knowledge in the kitchen. Now, I always bother my Chef Instructor with my ridiculous antics and requests. :) (He wubs me, though, lol. >:3 )

I understand totally. xD I usually am patient, but sometimes, I am impatient with baking. Like, today, I was helping my dad with cooking for Thanksgiving, and I was antsy about just throwing the biscuits in the oven early and getting everything cooked and over with, but he gave me a funny look. x3
Old 11-25-2011, 12:53 AM   #4
Cupcake

My favorite "new cook" story involved a beloved aunt. As a new bride, she was excited to cook a holiday meal for her new husband. The recipe said, "Wash the turkey well in cold water." And so she did that. She filled a sink with Joy dish soap and cold water...and scrubbed...and rinsed and baked. The turkey tasted like Joy soap. She is long gone, but the story lives on.

Enjoy your successes and appreciate your mistakes. Immortality in the making for some of them.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:13 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
My favorite "new cook" story involved a beloved aunt. As a new bride, she was excited to cook a holiday meal for her new husband. The recipe said, "Wash the turkey well in cold water." And so she did that. She filled a sink with Joy dish soap and cold water...and scrubbed...and rinsed and baked. The turkey tasted like Joy soap. She is long gone, but the story lives on.

Enjoy your successes and appreciate your mistakes. Immortality in the making for some of them.
Oh my goodness... That sounds disgusting, lol. She must not have been very good at reading directions, because it specifically said to wash it in cold water, ha ha. xP

I don't think I've really had bad kitchen blunders like that before, buuuuuut, I guess there's a first time for everything. :P That could possibly end up happening to me one day. Maybe. Possibly.

I will! Thank you very much for your warm welcome. :) I appreciate it. <3
Old 11-25-2011, 01:19 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Good morning from North Wales
Old 11-25-2011, 01:30 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Good morning from North Wales
Good morning to you as well from the East Coast of the USA. :)
Old 11-25-2011, 07:43 AM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Good Morning Ash! Again, welcome to DC.

I hope you can have some fun here and learn something, too. If you have any great reipes be sure to post them and we love food pictures.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:03 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Welcome to DC, Ash!