Yes, I know pretty much nothing.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tipplej

Assistant Cook
:chef:
I have never joined a cooking forum before!

I know nothing about cooking, other than a breakfast fry up and beans on toast. But a mate of mine crazily suggested us two rank amateurs cook the national dish of every country in the world. We have called it 'Cuisine and Country' and are chucking it on YouTube for friends, family or work colleagues to laugh at. We are only 2 or 3 dishes in but I already I feel we need help.

Having no cooking skills and attempting to cook the national dish of every country in the world is not a great combination. I'm really hoping I can get some suggestions of countries and national dishes from you guys but more importantly some great advice on how to make and prepare certain foods.

We have just done Succotash from Equatorial Guinea only to learn later that lima beans are apparently poisonous when eaten raw, (something we did on the video to see what they were like). Whoops!

Sadly, I'm not strictly sure what I can offer the community here back in exchange to be honest, but Ill be very grateful for advice, guidance and tips in the coming 200 weeks or so, if our journey indeed lasts as long as every country and every dish.

It's great to be here. This site looks perfect and very friendly. I hope to be seeking lots of advice in the forums.
:)

I would start with the easy countries with lots of dishes to choose from like Italy, France, japan, China, Mexico, Greece, USA, etc. I think I would be at a loss for Equatorial guinea, I don't even know where that is, lol...

Good luck, I am in to watch and add assistance when needed..

We have done something similar locally, we made our own countries national dishes on july 4th, which is hot dogs, hamburgers, fried chicken , and apple pie, lol...

Indonesia is going to be fun, Tumpeng is interesting...

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to DC. We will be happy to offer any advice you may need. I am sure all of us will love taking the trip with you. So what is your next country? :angel:

I would start with the easy countries with lots of dishes to choose from like Italy, France, japan, China, Mexico, Greece, USA, etc. I think I would be at a loss for Equatorial guinea, I don't even know where that is, lol...

I sort of think the opposite.

If you are literally cooking "the national dish" I think it would be hard or impossible to choose one from Italy, China, USA etc

Probably easier for countries with more homogeneous cultures.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sort of think the opposite.

If you are literally cooking "the national dish" I think it would be hard or impossible to choose one from Italy, China, USA etc

Probably easier for countries with more homogeneous cultures.

Theres a list of national dishes, you don't get to just guess which one, and with them countries I listed there is more than one choice, for instance italy has pasta, pizza, polenta, and risotto, so more choices, vs a country like Jordan that has one, its call Mansaf and contains lamb {often the head} cooked in a sauce of fermented dried yogurt they serve with bulgur.... No other choices, that is the international dish for jordan and judging by the picture, I would take a pass and just make 2 dishes for italy, lol..
yum lambs head, lol..
Picture%20556-731205.jpg

mansaf.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, Cooking4to, now I know what to do with that lamb head that is in my freezer...

Welcome to DC! It sounds like a fun project and one that will definitely improve your cooking skills and broaden your knowledge about different spices, etc. I look forward to following you on this journey!

Thanks, Cooking4to, now I know what to do with that lamb head that is in my freezer...

Welcome to DC! It sounds like a fun project and one that will definitely improve your cooking skills and broaden your knowledge about different spices, etc. I look forward to following you on this journey!

lol, I didn't even think about the spices, that is going to be more fun than the cooking!!! You are going to end up with about every spice known to man, lol... This is getting better and better...

:chef:
I have never joined a cooking forum before!

I know nothing about cooking, other than a breakfast fry up and beans on toast. But a mate of mine crazily suggested us two rank amateurs cook the national dish of every country in the world. We have called it 'Cuisine and Country' and are chucking it on YouTube for friends, family or work colleagues to laugh at. We are only 2 or 3 dishes in but I already I feel we need help.

Having no cooking skills and attempting to cook the national dish of every country in the world is not a great combination. I'm really hoping I can get some suggestions of countries and national dishes from you guys but more importantly some great advice on how to make and prepare certain foods.

We have just done Succotash from Equatorial Guinea only to learn later that lima beans are apparently poisonous when eaten raw, (something we did on the video to see what they were like). Whoops!

Sadly, I'm not strictly sure what I can offer the community here back in exchange to be honest, but Ill be very grateful for advice, guidance and tips in the coming 200 weeks or so, if our journey indeed lasts as long as every country and every dish.

It's great to be here. This site looks perfect and very friendly. I hope to be seeking lots of advice in the forums.
:)

Welcome, tipplej! It'll be fun to follow you on your international cooking quest. :chef:

Last edited:
Welcome to DC! Your task is going to be hard pressed to single out one dish from countries that have regional cuisines.:ohmy: I might suggest you approach those countries with a "tour" of the regional dishes.

Theres a list of national dishes, you don't get to just guess which one, and with them countries I listed there is more than one choice, for instance italy has pasta, pizza, polenta, and risotto, so more choices, vs a country like Jordan that has one, its call Mansaf and contains lamb {often the head} cooked in a sauce of fermented dried yogurt they serve with bulgur.... No other choices, that is the international dish for jordan and judging by the picture, I would take a pass and just make 2 dishes for italy, lol..
yum lambs head, lol..
Picture%20556-731205.jpg

mansaf.jpg

Mary had a little lamb, until one day, while vacationing in Jordan...:ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I agree the tough part would be deciding on what the national dish for each country should be.

wow!

Thanks very much indeed for the warm welcome and I'm falttered to see some support for my journey and also some great ideas and suggestions coming through already.

Im overwerwhelmed to be honest that you guys are interested.

I think I had better start a proper thread in the General Cooking forum to reply to the comments already given, rather than replying on this introductions thread. I really appreciate ideas, suggestions and advice and look forward to benefitting from your experience.

Hope to seeing you on the thread "Cooking the National Dish of Every Country in the World!" in "General cooking" very soon.
:yum:

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking :) What an interesting challenge. It will be fun to follow your adventure.

Thanks very much GotGarlic.
Funnily enough I'm using garlic tomorrow night in the Poutine! The cameras are set up and I'm ready to film and cook episode 3 tomorrow night. I cant wait to try those French fries in special gravy with Cheese Curds. Although it will probably be midnight!!!

We learned a lot of national dishes at a cooking class I took {johnson and wales} and I remember Jordan being just "gross"....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom