"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!
Old 05-19-2005, 11:40 AM   #1
Yet another "New Guy"

I am another new guy. I saw that your site was listed as the #1 site on the chef2chef.net top cooking sites and thought I would stop by and take a look.

My wife and I live in the Northwoods of Northeast Wisconsin. My nearest full time neighbor (not counting the bear, deer and other critters) is about 1 mile away. I live on a trout stream in the middle of the woods. A county highway runs past my house. In the summer during the week I may see a half dozen trucks and cars go by; two to three times that on the week-end. During the winter all that crazy traffic slows down to one or two cars or just the county plow going by.

I travel 90 miles round trip to Iron Mountain Michigan twice a month to do my shopping. Iron Mountain is a huge bustling city of about 8,000. They have three shopping centers including a Walmart AND a Kmart. If we need something quick we can go 60 miles round trip to Crivitz Wisconsin (pop. 700) to the Piggly Wiggly, or 30 miles round trip to Lakewood Wisconsin (pop. maybe 200) to the Supervalue.

We have plenty of fresh trout and venison along with other fish and game. Almost everything else except meat is dried, frozen or canned. I figure that is a fair trade for seeing Yogi out my window rummaging through the bird feeder or like last winter having 31 wild turkeys in the feeder at one time.

I enjoy hunting, fishing, cooking, baking, the Internet, tying fishing flies and spinners. We also like looking out the window in the winter with a warm fire going.

I really hope you have a spell checker but I don't see one, Oh! Well!

silvercliff_46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 11:43 AM   #2
Master Chef
Send a message via MSN to crewsk
It's great to have you here silvercliff!! Sounds like you live in my kind of dream world!

"Treat everyone with politeness,even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are."
crewsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 11:43 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer
Welcome to the site. We are so glad you found us! It sounds like you live in a beautiful area. Like you said, there are trade offs, but I have to say I am a bit jealous. I would love to live somewhere like that, at least for a little while
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 11:45 AM   #4
Master Chef
Welcome, silvercliff. It sounds like you live in a lovely place. I also live in a rural area, but not that rural. I have always wanted to live on a piece of land with a stream in the middle.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 11:51 AM   #5
Welcome to our home.
choclatechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 12:02 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Welcome to the group! We're glad you're here.

I think the next potluck should be at your house!
It sounds wonderful!! Hubby and I want to retire to
a place just like it. Alone in the woods is a good thing!!

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 12:10 PM   #7
Master Chef
If I could just find your place here in Texas
MY husband won't leave to go explore anywhere else. And my sisters would probably beat me anyway.

Well, anyway welcome to our humble home!
texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 12:22 PM   #8
Executive Chef
Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
I'm glad you found us silvercliff! I get up to Hayward a lot but thats as far as I've been. I am waaay down at the other end of the state.
MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 02:52 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Yahoo to middie
hi silvercliff welcome to dc !!! can i come visit you ??? i love being in the middle of nowhere !!
middie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:04 PM   #10
Hospitality Queen
Your writing is so beautifully descriptive - I feel as though I'm peering through your window, looking onto the lush river and taking in the scenery...even though I'm 20 miles from Los Angeles. Thank you for that virtual vacation!

We are so glad you met us, and saying you'd found us on chef2chef makes many of our hearts sing.

Please share your recipes when you can, and welcome to our family!

Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote