Yet another "New Guy"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am another new guy. I saw that your site was listed as the #1 site on the chef2chef.net top cooking sites and thought I would stop by and take a look.

My wife and I live in the Northwoods of Northeast Wisconsin. My nearest full time neighbor (not counting the bear, deer and other critters) is about 1 mile away. I live on a trout stream in the middle of the woods. A county highway runs past my house. In the summer during the week I may see a half dozen trucks and cars go by; two to three times that on the week-end. During the winter all that crazy traffic slows down to one or two cars or just the county plow going by.

I travel 90 miles round trip to Iron Mountain Michigan twice a month to do my shopping. Iron Mountain is a huge bustling city of about 8,000. They have three shopping centers including a Walmart AND a Kmart. If we need something quick we can go 60 miles round trip to Crivitz Wisconsin (pop. 700) to the Piggly Wiggly, or 30 miles round trip to Lakewood Wisconsin (pop. maybe 200) to the Supervalue.

We have plenty of fresh trout and venison along with other fish and game. Almost everything else except meat is dried, frozen or canned. I figure that is a fair trade for seeing Yogi out my window rummaging through the bird feeder or like last winter having 31 wild turkeys in the feeder at one time.

I enjoy hunting, fishing, cooking, baking, the Internet, tying fishing flies and spinners. We also like looking out the window in the winter with a warm fire going.

I really hope you have a spell checker but I don't see one, Oh! Well!

Welcome to the site. We are so glad you found us! It sounds like you live in a beautiful area. Like you said, there are trade offs, but I have to say I am a bit jealous. I would love to live somewhere like that, at least for a little while :)

Welcome to the group! We're glad you're here.

I think the next potluck should be at your house!
It sounds wonderful!! Hubby and I want to retire to
a place just like it. Alone in the woods is a good thing!!

Welcome!

If I could just find your place here in Texas
4.gif

MY husband won't leave to go explore anywhere else. And my sisters would probably beat me anyway.

Well, anyway welcome to our humble home!
4.gif

I'm glad you found us silvercliff! I get up to Hayward a lot but thats as far as I've been. I am waaay down at the other end of the state.
6.gif
7.gif

hi silvercliff welcome to dc !!! can i come visit you ??? i love being in the middle of nowhere !!

Last edited:
Your writing is so beautifully descriptive - I feel as though I'm peering through your window, looking onto the lush river and taking in the scenery...even though I'm 20 miles from Los Angeles. Thank you for that virtual vacation!

We are so glad you met us, and saying you'd found us on chef2chef makes many of our hearts sing.

Please share your recipes when you can, and welcome to our family!

Hi Silverclif

A BIG welcome...
sounds like you live in heaven:) I haven't gone trout fishing in years, and just your mentioning it has brought back some wonderful memories of fishing with my dad..
kadesma:)

Back
Top Bottom