Allen's Smokehouse Chili

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
OK, I've been wanting to make some Chili with smoked brisket for over a year now, and it finally happened. Last week, I smoked a brisket. It was my first, and while it was edible, it wasn't the best I've ever had. Anyways, I had 4 lbs of smoked brisket in my fridge, and a brand-new enamelled cast iron Dutch Oven.

I basically just did my normal chili recipe, but instead of using hamburger, I used the smoked brisket. Since I wasn't using raw beef, I couldn't get any beef fond in the bottom of the pan to deglaze. However, I made a sofrito with the onions and garlic, which I haven't done before with Chili.

Enjoy.

Allen’s Smokehouse Chili
Yields: ~ 1 gal

4# smoked brisket, cut into large dice
1 large onion, diced
1 T + 1 t garlic, minced
2 Chipotle peppers, peeled, seeded, and minced, optional
-or- 1 t Chipotle puree, optional
For the seasoning mix:
1 T + 1 t salt
4 T chili powder
1 T + 1 t cumin
½ t cinnamon
2 t oregano
4 bay leaves
two 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes
-or- crushed tomatoes
two 14.5 oz can Chili Beans
-or- kidney beans
2 large handfuls of corn tortilla chips
For garnish:
Shredded cheese
Chopped onions
Chopped jalapeños
Sour cream
Sliced green onions
Chopped fresh cilantro

Prepare all the ingredients, and mix together the seasoning mix.
In a heavy-bottomed soup pot over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add the onions and garlic, and cook over medium heat, covered, until the onions are extremely soft. Add the seasonings, and Chipotles if desired, and cook over medium-high heat for a couple minutes, to caramelize the spices. Add the tomatoes and cook over medium-high heat. Once all the water has cooked off (you’ll hear a change in the pitch and frequency of the bubbles), pay close attention to the bottom of the pan.
Once the food starts to stick and brown, scrape this up, for it adds to the color and flavor. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture starts to stick to the bottom of the pan again, about 3 - 4 minutes. Scrape as much as you can up, then add the beans, the brisket, and tortilla chips. Stir to mix thoroughly. Bring to a boil, then cover and turn heat to low. Simmer until the flavors marry, about 30 minutes.
Ladle the Chili into bowls, and top with garnishes as you desire. This is best served with cornbread, but crumbled crackers will also work.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom