"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili

Old 06-23-2008, 10:11 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Any Cincinnati chili lovers here, Skyline chili question

I finally had the Skyline Chili I've been hungering for all these years. I know that the flavor isn't typical and I also know that no one's talking about what I'm tasting in it.
I asked at the restaurant and they said everyone thinks or says they taste cinnamon and maybe chocolate too.
When reading the google copy cat recipes and others on there, I see what I thought was in there. Chocolate, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, cumin.
Does anyone in here know? If so, could you mention it so I can try to duplicate the recipe here at home. Thank you.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:59 AM   #2
Executive Chef

yep, all those seasonings, go with any copy cat recipe and layer it how ever you like with the various optional toppings..

Old 06-23-2008, 11:06 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover
Any Cincinnatti livers here
I left my heart in San Francisco, but my liver in Cincinnati.

I have only had Cincinnati chili once. i tasted a lot of cinnamon. It was also served over spaghetti. I thought it was going to be very strange, but I ended up loving it.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:38 PM   #4
Executive Chef

the whole thing I think is being able to find and go to these places that have for so long, been on my to do list, or to do taste.
when my husband and I go on our jaunts together, which is wayyyyy too often, we have the opportunity to do these things I love so much.
I want to make this for him and I will rest assured.
it's gonna be hard to get the recipe just right though.
there are so many complex flavors that aren't typical of chili which maybe is what's captivating me so.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:06 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Check this out LEFSE. Cincinnati chili is one of those things I've never really wrapped my head around - or I guess that would be my taste buds.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:39 PM   #6
Executive Chef

hey Elfie...............
yep, that's one of the ones I was able to bring up when searching.
I pulled up several and think that when times comes or it's cold enough for a blustery weather meal, I'll combine all the ingreds with all the autumn spices that I'd normally use for pumpkin pie and just do chili AND pumpkin pie, that way, if the chili is icky, we'll eat pie!
so, so far, these
are in the 'of interest' corner, along with the one you have here............
sorry to be so confusing in this post highlighting everything, didn't know how to do several links without all the highlights
Old 06-23-2008, 07:49 PM   #7
Sous Chef

I'm in Cincy and I love Cincy chili!!! I think most people that live in Cincy just go to a chili parlor when the craving hits. I have made it several times. My recipe is very similar to this one at Allrecipes

Skyline Chili I - Allrecipes
Although I make mine on the stovetop, not a slow cooker. Our grocery stores sell Cincinnati chili spice packets that make it real easy. There is cinnamon, choc, allspice etc., but I've never put cumin in it.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:57 PM   #8
Head Chef

I work in Cincinnati. I've made homemade Cincinnati style chili before. Just use one of the copycat recipes to try it at home, thats what I did. Did you have a 3 way, 4 way or a 5 way OR did you have a Skyliner?

As a former Cincinnati resident (still in the Greater Cinti area) I always chuckle when people come to town and want to try the chili. Just remember Skyline at 2 am is NEVER a good idea!
Old 06-23-2008, 10:53 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toots View Post
I work in Cincinnati. I've made homemade Cincinnati style chili before. Just use one of the copycat recipes to try it at home, thats what I did. Did you have a 3 way, 4 way or a 5 way OR did you have a Skyliner?

As a former Cincinnati resident (still in the Greater Cinti area) I always chuckle when people come to town and want to try the chili. Just remember Skyline at 2 am is NEVER a good idea!
Oh Toots, I had a 5 way LARGE!
Old 06-24-2008, 12:05 AM   #10
Sous Chef

OMG, a 5 way large!!! I hope you had alot of Zantac!

Tags
None