Any suggestions to put a new twist on chili?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Im not here looking for a chili recipe. As many know Im vegetarian, som my chili will obviously contain no meat. What im looking for is just a new twist on chili. Any non conventional ingredients that you may have added that worked ?? My chili, among other recipes, are getting routine, so im looking for ways to spruce things up a bit .

Any suggestions welcome.

Years ago I had some chili made with elbow macaroni instead of beans.
That said, today I'll be making some with chicken and pork. I'll be watching this thread for the vegetarian slant on making it different.

I have put polenta in my chili before. It is a pretty non traditional ingredient and it worked really well. It thickened the chili and also added a nice flavor.

Because you're not looking for a recipe, I'll give you one: Wicked Good Vegetarian Chili.

This has a different set of spices than traditional chili. I would call it a change up and one I rather like. GB's polenta idea. I will be trying that one myself =)

Great Ideas, keep them coming. Ill probably make it later or tomorrow . Also, is chili one of those things that u find taste better the next day ? or right after u cook it ??

Great Ideas, keep them coming. Ill probably make it later or tomorrow . Also, is chili one of those things that u find taste better the next day ? or right after u cook it ??
Definitely better the next day.

I am actually making a batch of chili right now. It will be dinner tonight, but it will be even better for dinner tomorrow. I put a couple of squares of bakers chocolate in this batch. I really like doing that. It adds a depth that people can not pinpoint where it is coming from, but they really like it. Adding a little bit of coffee grounds can do the same thing.

Here is the recipe I just made. This is a semi-knock off of the Chili they make at Wendy's. I can't stand fast food, but this chili is actually one of the better ones I have tasted. This chili goes against the traditionalists as it has tons of beans and tomatoes, but trust me, it tastes great.

Larry, you could easily leave the meat out of this one and have a great vegetarian chili.

2 pounds ground beef
1 29-ounce can of tomato sauce
1 29-ounce can of kidney beans
1 29-ounce can of pinto beans
1 diced green pepper
1 diced medium onion
1/2 cup diced mild green chiles
1 to 6 diced jalapeno peppers (if heat desired)
1 29-ounce can diced tomatoes or 3 chopped medium tomatoes
2 teaspoons cumin powder
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons sugar
A few squares of bakers chocolate.

1. Brown the beef in skillet or microwave and drain off the fat.
2. Combine all of the ingredients in a crockpot.
3. Cook on low for 3-10 hours.

Or cook on stovetop until done.

I hadn't heard of using coffee grounds before. Do you have an approximate ratio, like 1tsp/qt? And; new or used, instant or regular? I might try that for my chili today. Usually I add a little cinnamon. A little goes a long way, so just a little. Done just right it too adds something. I'd have to guess maybe 1/2 tsp for 3 qts, but I never measure. Maybe not quite that much, just a dusting out of the can.

I have never measured pacanis, but maybe a tablespoon per big batch of chili. Like the chocolate, a little goes a long way. Use new grounds and I use regular, but instant would probably work just as well.

Try serving your chili with corn chips instead of crackers...it's a great combo!

Or serve it with jalapeno cornbread crumbled up in it.

I have a friend that adds a little rum to hers. It adds a nice layer of flavor.

Taking Finca's suggestion a step further do a Cincinnati style chili. The traditional sauce has cocoa powder as a key ingredient. The sauce and meat are cooked together. The beans are cooked in another pan sort of steamed with diced pepper and onion. Also you need a pot of spaghetti. To make a proper 5-way you plate spaghetti > beans > sauce > chopped scallions > shredded cheese.

I add hominy to my chili for a change.

All so thicken it up with a slurry of MASA HARAINA and water. Add a little at a time as it will thicken quite rapidly. Give a nice tex mex flavor to chili

you can also take some black beans in a can.. mash them up and stir in. Adds flavor and changes the consistency.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom