Anyone familiar with Chasen's Famous Chili?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
"Chasen's Famous Chili"

1/2 pound dried pinto beans
Water
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
2 T vegetable oil
4 T butter
3 c onions, coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 c parsley, chopped
2 lbs beef chuck, coarsely chopped*
1 lb pork shoulder, coarsely chopped*
1/3 c Mexican chili powder
1 T kosher salt
2 t pepper 2
2 t ground cumino

* have your butcher do a chili grind for you of the meats.

Rinse and clean beans. Place in a Dutch oven with water to cover. Simmer on low for an hour. Take off heat and let set for another hour. Drain. Put beans back into Dutch oven and fill back up with fresh water to cover. Simmer on low again for another hour.

Add tomatoes and juice. Saute vegetables in butter and oil and simmer about 5 minutes. Remove the sauteed vegetables along with any oil/butter left in pan to a plate and add the meat to the skillet and brown lightly. Drain off excess fat. Add the two mixtures together and add the seasonings.

With lid on, simmer for an hour or longer. To thicken, stir flour into water to make a slurry and add that to the pot.

Thanks, this sounds good. I've heard of this chili, seems to me I remember that famous (read rich) people used to have it flown to them wherever they were at the time. Is it THAT good?? :) :)

LEFSElover, I was so upset when they closed. I have eaten the chili and it is wonderful. My ex and I used to eat there about once a month (hard to get there, it was 40+ miles from Newport Beach where we lived.) I think I still have a recipe for a salad dressing and a sauce for salmon that they gave me.

Back
Top Bottom