"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili
Old 10-29-2004, 10:31 PM   #11
A quick thought on the "beans" thing...

Dried beans are both light and cheap, and, of course, an excellent source of dietary fiber.

In cooking, it was probably a day to soak (incidentally, the water that we discard from soaking beans has some miraculous properties in cleaning your clothes, according to 18th/19th century writings) and likely a day to cook...

In moving big cattle herds, it was periodically necessary to let the herd rest and forage, let alone allow the cowboys a decent wash, rest and feed up...no doubt the chuck wagons were busy during this "still" time, and I think it reasonable to believe that beans were an integral part of "Texas" or "Cowboy" chili..

(Audeo, please swallow the tea, and put down the cup...the rug is getting bad!)

(This was "handsomely" re-enacted in the famous "Blazing Saddles" Alex Karris film scene, of "Mongo" at the campfire....<no wonder my Irish ancestors came to Canada!>)

Beans were a staple of the Pioneer diet, if not the diet of the western world (ie both Europe and N America) at this time, as they are a form of protein, and Europe was chronically short of meats for the citizenry (and thus the exploitation of the Grand Banks, and North America generally) and so I believe it entirely reasonable to believe them in that "Texas Chili", even if only as an "add-in" to the base recipe Audeo has provided us with...

Lifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 02:23 AM   #12
Audeo DID mention that the "recipe" "gained flavour" and appreciation as time wore on...

(Yes! I'm saying that as the Texican recipe wore north, it was gradually, but wobderfully, improved!)

Old 10-30-2004, 06:54 AM   #13
Executive Chef
I seem to remember reading somewhere that with Texas chili, the beans are served on the side, not in the chili itself.
marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 07:28 AM   #14
Head Chef
Marmalady, I think this is as much a personal preference here, as it is anywhere else. And there are probably as many "Authentic Texas Chili" recipes as there are Texas highways! I have seen chilis here done both ways and local chili cook-offs always offer both versions, as well.
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is Optional.
Audeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 10:49 AM   #15
Chief Eating Officer
I made this chili recipe yesterday and it was delicious. I used a chuck roast though and diced the meat. Other than that I followed the directions. I let it cook for over 3 hours and it did get better as time went on. I had to add water a few times because it would get real dry, but the end result was fantastic. I served it with cheddar cheese and chopped raw onions on the side. It was fantastic and will be my lunch today as well :)
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 01:59 PM   #16
Head Chef
Well, I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed it, GB! Chuck roast for the chuck wagon chili...very poetic! Hope you also enjoyed your lunch today!

Thank you for sharing your opinion!
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is Optional.
Audeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 08:24 PM   #17
We cooked up chili for dinner tonight and tomorrow, using the "Lifter Left Wing" technique, with a variation or two that have come out on this and other threads...

For the FIRST time in however many years, I did not drain off all the fat from the meat, and this DID add considerably to the flavour and texture of the result!

I note, too, that after an hour's cooking, (and note I was making a small quantity in a large pot!) the spoon would indeed stand up by itself...

Red Kidney beens served "in" rather than "beside"!

Great dinner with fresh bread and dill pickles...

Old 11-09-2004, 07:57 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
Another precinct tallying the vote......

Made Audeo's recipe as specified, using a cast iron deep skillet with lid. I dearly wanted to add some cumin, but refrained.

Found it very spicy tastewise, but almost too uniform in texture (all that meat). I like a little more chunkiness and missed the beans. However, the slow cooking and bacon grease gave it a wonderful aroma and flavor. The leftovers will be making their appearance over rice, I think.
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:51 AM   #19
Executive Chef
This is very much my favorite chili recipe from my favorite moldy worn out cover missing, cookbook.
Its use of suet was odd to me as a young lady I had to ask a butcher what that meant.
It calls for water and plenty of it though.
It simmers away for hours on end and calls for chili powder also the other ingreds yours says.
It smells up the house wonderfully and is always a traditional winner. I include beans with ours also.
We like our chili with beans and my choice is Gebharts spiced red beans in sauce. I use 3 cans and include the sauce from them.
...Trials travel best when you're taking the transportation known as prayer...SLRC
LEFSElover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:37 PM   #20
Assistant Cook
Audeo and Lifter,

I just found this site and discussion in my search for the original (or one of them) Chili recipes and had to sign up to say;

I have so enjoyed reading what you both have written on the history of chili.

thank you!

Brook is offline   Reply With Quote