Awesome Possum Chili

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chilling

Assistant Cook
A friend shared this chili recipe with me. I would like your comments on the recipe. Do I have to use all the ingredients? Can I substitute some of the spices? I'm eager to try it out but was hoping for some ideas to spice it up. Thanks :yum:

Awesome Possum Chili
2 medium carrots, chopped
2 stalks of celery, chopped
4-7 mushrooms, chopped
1 onion
½ bulb garlic
1 lb. hamburger or veggie ground round
3 mason jars tomatoes
2 Tb. Salt
2 dried chilies
2Tb. Turmeric
2Tb. Curry
2Tb. Cumin
4Tb. Mustard
1 can kidney beans
1 can chick peas
1 can bean medley
1 can whole corn kernels
Sauté carrots, celery, garlic, onion and mushrooms with butter over medium-high heat in bottom of a large pot then add meat and cook till it’s evenly browned. Combine rest of ingredients in the pot and bring to a boil. Once the chili has boiled, reduce heat to low and let simmer for 1 ½ hours.

While it sounds like a good recipe, you might want to call it something else. It has no possum, and it's not even what I would call chili. But you probably already know that.

Oh, and welcome to DC. :)

No you don't have to use all the ingredients. Some of the spices are expensive. If you don't have them on hand, the "chilli" will be what you want it to be. Unlike baking, when you are cooking a main dish, you can do anything you want to it. Add or subtract. The choice is yours. :angel:

I'd cut down the amount of tomatoes... 3 pints is quite a bit
for 1 pound of hamburger. Personally, I'd leave out the curry
and the mushrooms too. I like both, but not in curry.

Sounds like more of a stew than chili to me. But...what's in a name?
Are those mason jars quarts or pints? Three pints might be OK...three quarts is way too much tomatoes. I think 1 quart (two pints) would be enough.
If you like, I can probably come up with a possum or two for ye.
You'll have to skin 'em out yourself. :LOL:

Sounds like more of a stew than chili to me. But...what's in a name?
Are those mason jars quarts or pints? Three pints might be OK...three quarts is way too much tomatoes. I think 1 quart (two pints) would be enough.
If you like, I can probably come up with a possum or two for ye.

:ROFLMAO: Get her a racoon and she can make herself a Davy Crockett hat with the skin. :angel:

That's an Indian inspired stew, not chili.

And it's an odd recipe at that. The amounts of everything seem off ...

Especially the spices.

And the meat won't properly brown on top of all those sweated vegetables.

Last edited:
Are those mason jars quarts or pints? Three pints might be OK...three quarts is way too much tomatoes.
In our house, 3 jars would be 1.5 liter jars, so it would be 4.5 l (over 1 gallon!). I 1.5 l jar would be close to 3 pints.

Confused Chilling

Thanks so much for your suggestions. Now I'm really confused. I've never made chili before so this is a big experiment for me. :huh: How about I just leave out the meat (and no possum :LOL:) and just do it as a vegetarian dish instead. Will I still need all the ingredients or can I substitute some of the spices?

Chili recipes are as varied as anything else............

I've been collecting Chili recipes for years, and am happy to share them.
(attached)

Attachments

• CHILI FILE.pdf
    643.3 KB · Views: 205
Thanks so much for your suggestions. Now I'm really confused. I've never made chili before so this is a big experiment for me. :huh: How about I just leave out the meat (and no possum :LOL:) and just do it as a vegetarian dish instead. Will I still need all the ingredients or can I substitute some of the spices?

chilling, you say YOU'RE confused?! i clicked onto this thread of yours as i was as close to being in a 'possum state of mind' as i guess i'll ever be, and what do i find? no awesome possum chili, no possum at all, that's for sure. not even a real chili recipe. what you have here actually reminds me of those hilarious thanksgiving turkey recipes as told to the teacher by her 5 year old students, giving their version of how their mom prepares their turkey at home. remember those? iit's got me laughing right now. welcome to dc, chilling. don't worry, you will get plenty of great guidance in cooking chili (or anything else you've a taste for) here at dc. you are in good company.:)

chilling, you say YOU'RE confused?! i clicked onto this thread of yours as i was as close to being in a 'possum state of mind' as i guess i'll ever be, and what do i find? no awesome possum chili, no possum at all, that's for sure. not even a real chili recipe. what you have here actually reminds me of those hilarious thanksgiving turkey recipes as told to the teacher by her 5 year old students, giving their version of how their mom prepares their turkey at home. remember those? iit's got me laughing right now. welcome to dc, chilling. don't worry, you will get plenty of great guidance in cooking chili (or anything else you've a taste for) here at dc. you are in good company.:)

+1

I make a heck of a lot of Chili !

this is from last time.............

img_1203767_0_d1f4afbab23292cc5041fc0e4c8179e4.jpg

Yep ! a bunch of tupperware for the freezer, quarts for the neighbors and friends, and the cornbread.......... well, that stays right here !

luckytrim, i would like to be a good neighbor to you, and take some of those chili-laden tupperware containers off of your hands, give you some extra table and freezer space, of which i can see you are sorely in need. i will do that for you, coz i'm kind-hearted that way, and--well, neighborly, as i think i mentioned before. waddyya say, lt? i hate to see you struggling with all of that cornbread, too.... :)

luckytrim, i would like to be a good neighbor to you, and take some of those chili-laden tupperware containers off of your hands, give you some extra table and freezer space, of which i can see you are sorely in need. i will do that for you, coz i'm kind-hearted that way, and--well, neighborly, as i think i mentioned before. waddyya say, lt? i hate to see you struggling with all of that cornbread, too.... :)

V, I think I should be the one to relieve him of that cornbread. It has been years since I made any. I have the fixings for corn chowder and it would go so good with it. Make a complete meal. But if you are not willing to share it, I will have to make my own for the chowder. :angel:

V, I think I should be the one to relieve him of that cornbread. It has been years since I made any. I have the fixings for corn chowder and it would go so good with it. Make a complete meal. But if you are not willing to share it, I will have to make my own for the chowder. :angel:

haven't made any cornbread in years, addie? by all means, i think you should go for it, and make some tonight to go with your chowder!:) you want to keep your hand in, i always say--that way you won't be losing your touch. besides, addie, you know i had first dibs on luckytrim's cornbread, now dontcha?:)....

Back
Top Bottom