"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili

Old 10-23-2005, 07:23 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Big Al’s Bodacious Chili II

This is my second attempt (not counting variations) to make my own Chili recipe. I used four ingredients I've never really used in Chili before, Cinnamon, Beer, Chipotle, and corn tortillas. I've been checking it as it cooks, and it smells GREAT. PeppA has been salivating for a bowl. It just finished cooking, and PeppA identified the Cinnamon, so I may have used to much.

Maybe next time, I'll try using some coffee and/or chocolate.

Big Al’s Bodacious Chili II
Yields: ~ 2 qt

~2# hamburger
½ large onion, diced
2 t garlic, minced
1 Chipotle chili, peeled, seeded, and minced
For the seasoning mix:
1 T salt
2 T chili powder
2 t cumin
1 t cinnamon
1 t oregano
2 bay leaves
One 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
One 14.5 oz can kidney beans
8 oz (1 c) room temperature cheap beer
A handful of corn tortilla chips
For garnish:
Shredded cheese
Chopped onions
Chopped jalapeñoes
Sour cream
Sliced green onions

Prepare all the ingredients, and mix together the seasoning mix.
In a heavy-bottomed soup pot over medium-high heat, brown the hamburger until it’s almost done. Add the onions, garlic, and the seasoning mix, and stir constantly. Once all the water has cooked off (you’ll hear a change in the pitch and frequency of the bubbles), pay close attention to the bottom of the pan.
Once the food starts to stick and brown, scrape this up, for it adds to the color and flavor. Cook, scraping constantly, for a couple minutes. Add the tomatoes, and their juice from the can. Stir this completely, scraping as much of the brown bits from the bottom of the pan as possible. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture starts to stick to the bottom of the pan again, about 3 - 4 minutes. Scrape as much as you can up, then add the beer, beans, and tortilla chips. Stir to mix thoroughly. Cover and turn heat to low. Simmer until the flavors marry, about 30 minutes.
Ladle the Chili into bowls, and top with garnishes as you desire. This is best served with cornbread, but crumbled crackers will also work.

Old 10-24-2005, 12:35 AM   #2
Master Chef

Though I've taste it before, I just coudn't bring myself to add cinnamon to chili. Now don't get me wrong, it was good chili, just not what I'm looking for in a bowl of red. Now the other ingredients you used, well, let's just say that you're a man of educated taste buds.

Though I really don't like beer either, but that's just me. I'd like to give you some tips, but methinks ya be knowin chili as much as this old ex-sailor.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 08:40 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

Cinnamon is probably my least favorite spice. That is not to say that I do not like it, but it is very low on my list. It does have it's place in my kitchen though.

I have to say that I found your addition of cinnamon in chili interesting. I can see how that would work. It would taste completely different from chili that I am used to, but I think it could work quite well. Very interesting choice Allen!
Old 10-24-2005, 09:59 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
never thought of adding cinnamon to my chili. that's something i
will have to try very soon !
Old 10-24-2005, 10:36 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I've been trying to improve my Chili for a couple years now, to move away from the really simple Chili that I learned to make from my Mom. While it's good, there's things I've learned through the years that I'm incorporating into my recipe. The major thing is something I learned from cooking Cajun, and that's to caramelize EVERYTHING! If you'll notice, I mention caramelization and deglazing the pan a couple times in the recipe, as this helps build the flavor.

Goodweed, I'm always open to advice.

I've read a few posts somewhere on this site about adding a little cinnamon to chili. I know that it's used in Mexican cooking for savory dishes, like Mole, so I'm not surprised that some folks use it in Chili. I honestly think I may have used a little to much, as PeppA identified it as soon as she got a bowl; she could readily smell it.

I've played around with chocolate and cocoa powder in chili as well, and I'm thinking about making a small batch with a little coffee in it.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:30 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Ok, I made another batch. I had made a note to cut the beer down to 4 oz (1/2 c) from what was originally mentioned.

I poured a half-cup of beer into a measuring glass, then downed the rest as I prepped the remaining ingredients. It wasn't until I started to brown the beef and chorizo that I realized I had twice as much meat as listed. I went ahead and started prepping a whole 'nother batch, then I realized I didn't have any more beer

I went ahead and made it regardless, and let me tell you, it was pretty darn good! PeppA again couldn't keep herself out of the pot as it was simmering. I did make one more change, as I felt it was a little on the salty side, so I cut the salt from 1 T down to 2 t. However, I think I will still keep making it as a double-batch, since I have a big family, and PeppA can't keep her little fingers out of it
Old 01-31-2006, 09:45 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I have always felt that chili was a creation that evolves as the ingredients are available and the spirit move the chef. I'm glad to see that someone else agrees. Keep on cooking.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:56 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
Cinnamon and chile powder work very well together.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:40 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
I have always felt that chili was a creation that evolves as the ingredients are available and the spirit move the chef. I'm glad to see that someone else agrees. Keep on cooking.
Wait until this summer. I'm wanting to smoke a brisket, and use some of the smoked brisket to make chili with, like I used some smoked pork butt to make a posole with last summer.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:43 AM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenMI
I'm wanting to smoke a brisket, and use some of the smoked brisket to make chili
I can't wait to hear how that turns out. It sounds like a great plan!

Tags
None