"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili

Old 11-23-2014, 10:32 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efrain View Post
Not to sound nit-picky, but how much is exactly a pot? Whenever I make chili I use a 4-quart pot and fill it about 3/4 quarters of the way. Should I add more or less than a tablespoon of brown sugar to this size pot?
Add however much it takes until it tastes good to you.

Chili is one of those great recipes where you can tell what it will taste like while you are cooking.

A tip is to extract some amount, maybe 1/2 cup, then add what you are thinking of adding and compare the taste from the 1/2 cup with the original taste. If it's good, put it all together and add more. If it's not good, chances are you can just put the 1/2 cup back and it won't be detectable in the result. If it's awful just toss the 1/2 cup.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:42 AM   #12
Cook

I have NEVER done it before and for some reason last night while making my hot dog chili I added a tablespoon of brown sugar on a whim. I liked it, but think I will leave it to my hot dog chili rather than my regular chili. I like the idea how them having 2 way different tastes. Joe loved the hot dog chili and was impressed when I told him I never made it before. :) He makes me feel so special sometimes. <3

Old 11-24-2014, 06:22 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Isn't Sloppy Joe's basically sweetened beef chili without beans?
Old 11-24-2014, 06:35 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm not sure, CraigC. I just know it's too sweet for me.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:31 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Add however much it takes until it tastes good to you.

Chili is one of those great recipes where you can tell what it will taste like while you are cooking.

A tip is to extract some amount, maybe 1/2 cup, then add what you are thinking of adding and compare the taste from the 1/2 cup with the original taste. If it's good, put it all together and add more. If it's not good, chances are you can just put the 1/2 cup back and it won't be detectable in the result. If it's awful just toss the 1/2 cup.
Thanks for the helpful hint! This is definitely a clever way to try new things while cooking without risking too much. I will be sure to try this next time.

Need ideas on what to cook or bake tonight? Check us out at:
http://www.rookstocooks.com
Efrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:35 AM   #16
Head Chef

I just put chili into my crock pot this morning. It called for cider vinegar and I will add chocolate to it after it cooks for several hours on low. It's a new recipe (for me) called Cincinnatti Chili which includes lots of spices. I'll serve it over spaghetti, as suggested.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:46 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm working on a pot of chili today. After reading this post, I added a teaspoon of brown sugar. It tastes fine. I can't taste the brown sugar, but the acidity of all the tomatoes I used now tastes just right. Usually, I would add a little plain sugar, but I think I like this better. Thanks for the idea.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:19 AM   #18
Executive Chef

I always add a spoon full of honey to chili. I saw bobby Flay do it and I have been doing it since.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:03 PM   #19
Master Chef

sugar offsets the acidity of the tomatoes. It is a good idea to add to any tomato included recipes. I.e. spaghetti, tomato sauce, etc.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:54 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efrain View Post
Thanks for the helpful hint! This is definitely a clever way to try new things while cooking without risking too much. I will be sure to try this next time.
I learned this from making soap, and adding colorants, fragrances and other things you add to soap.

Oddly, making soap is a lot like cooking. Both use recipes, both offer you the chance to get injured (cooking: burns, soapmaking: caustic lye), and both have great benefit to understanding the properties of oils.

An additional benefit is that the understanding of the oils (cis- and trans- and poly-unsaturated and all that) is useful in understanding the effects of which oils you eat in your diet and their effects on your health.

Tags
brown sugar, chili