Brown Sugar in chili

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danbuter

Senior Cook
I add a tablespoon of brown sugar to any pot of chili I make. It adds some sweetness, without overpowering the other ingredients. Anyone else do this?

I added some agave nectar to the last batch I made, it really was good. Have used brown sugar, molasses, and ketchup at times. Just kinda gives it that sumpin sumpin.

I have used molasses or Steen's Cane Syrup in chili when I was in the mood. Not much, just enough to have the effect without tasting sweet.

Sweet and spicy go together well. Chili often has tomatoes and sugar is often used to counteract the acidity of tomatoes. Many if not most barbecue sauces include sugar. I think onions and garlic go well with sugar, and both are often included in chili recipes. Sure, why not, add brown sugar or any other kind of sugar to your chili... within reason.

I add a tablespoon of brown sugar to any pot of chili I make. It adds some sweetness, without overpowering the other ingredients. Anyone else do this?

I do too, along with a little ground cloves and allspice. It makes a good chili great.

If I add brn sugar, I also add the same amount of apple vinegar to equalize the sweet and acid, Then I will also add strong coffee for flavor.

Not to sound nit-picky, but how much is exactly a pot? Whenever I make chili I use a 4-quart pot and fill it about 3/4 quarters of the way. Should I add more or less than a tablespoon of brown sugar to this size pot?

Taste, taste, taste. Add a bit at a time. You can always add more.

Not to sound nit-picky, but how much is exactly a pot? Whenever I make chili I use a 4-quart pot and fill it about 3/4 quarters of the way. Should I add more or less than a tablespoon of brown sugar to this size pot?
Add however much it takes until it tastes good to you.

Chili is one of those great recipes where you can tell what it will taste like while you are cooking.

A tip is to extract some amount, maybe 1/2 cup, then add what you are thinking of adding and compare the taste from the 1/2 cup with the original taste. If it's good, put it all together and add more. If it's not good, chances are you can just put the 1/2 cup back and it won't be detectable in the result. If it's awful just toss the 1/2 cup.

I have NEVER done it before and for some reason last night while making my hot dog chili I added a tablespoon of brown sugar on a whim. I liked it, but think I will leave it to my hot dog chili rather than my regular chili. I like the idea how them having 2 way different tastes. Joe loved the hot dog chili and was impressed when I told him I never made it before. :) He makes me feel so special sometimes. <3

Isn't Sloppy Joe's basically sweetened beef chili without beans?;)

Add however much it takes until it tastes good to you.

Chili is one of those great recipes where you can tell what it will taste like while you are cooking.

A tip is to extract some amount, maybe 1/2 cup, then add what you are thinking of adding and compare the taste from the 1/2 cup with the original taste. If it's good, put it all together and add more. If it's not good, chances are you can just put the 1/2 cup back and it won't be detectable in the result. If it's awful just toss the 1/2 cup.

Thanks for the helpful hint! This is definitely a clever way to try new things while cooking without risking too much. I will be sure to try this next time.

I just put chili into my crock pot this morning. It called for cider vinegar and I will add chocolate to it after it cooks for several hours on low. It's a new recipe (for me) called Cincinnatti Chili which includes lots of spices. I'll serve it over spaghetti, as suggested.

I'm working on a pot of chili today. After reading this post, I added a teaspoon of brown sugar. It tastes fine. I can't taste the brown sugar, but the acidity of all the tomatoes I used now tastes just right. Usually, I would add a little plain sugar, but I think I like this better. Thanks for the idea.

sugar offsets the acidity of the tomatoes. It is a good idea to add to any tomato included recipes. I.e. spaghetti, tomato sauce, etc.

Thanks for the helpful hint! This is definitely a clever way to try new things while cooking without risking too much. I will be sure to try this next time.

I learned this from making soap, and adding colorants, fragrances and other things you add to soap.

Oddly, making soap is a lot like cooking. Both use recipes, both offer you the chance to get injured (cooking: burns, soapmaking: caustic lye), and both have great benefit to understanding the properties of oils.

An additional benefit is that the understanding of the oils (cis- and trans- and poly-unsaturated and all that) is useful in understanding the effects of which oils you eat in your diet and their effects on your health.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom