"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili

Old 05-13-2015, 08:54 PM   #1
Master Chef

Chief's Dragonfire Chili

Previously posted - For Chili-Heads only. Don't know if anyone tried it, but many were intrigued at the idea of putting fish in chili. There was a pretty good discussion going on that thread.

This next recipe is hot, very, very hot, possibly too hot for most chili-heads. I like things very hot, and have successfully eaten fresh ghost pepper without feeling any pain. I can eat half a bowl of my Dragonfire Chili before I start to feel pain. After a full bowl of the stuff, my whole mouth is screaming hot, and milk doesn't cool it at all. But I know, that some people are almost addicted to screaming hot chili, and so I'm posting this. Why do I call it Dragonfire Chili; because it's where dragons come to get their fire. And yes, it's a little too hot for me. But you get the full and delicious flavor of those peppers.

In my defense, the guests who request the chili said to make it as hot as I could possibly make it. Neither of them finished their bowls. One fo them got half-way through one cereal bowl full. The other got through about four tbs. full.

Be forewarned, if you enjoy hot, even really hot, this still may be past your limit.

Dragonfire Chili

Ingredients:
15 oz. can of dark-red kidney beans
24 oz. can pinto beans
1 large onion, cut into slices
24 oz can of diced tomatoes
4 dried ghost peppers
6 dried cayenne peppers
4 fresh habaneros
6 dried Japone peppers
3 tbs. chili powder
1 tbs. paprika
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
2 stalks celery, sliced
2 lbs. ground beef

Put the beans, tomato, chili powder, paprika, cumin, coriander, and celery into a large pot (this will fill the average slow cooker). Brown the ground beef and season with salt to taste. Add the browned ground beef and sliced onion to the sauce.

Place all of the peppers, except the habaneros, into a blender and blend until all peppers are thoroughly ground into a powder. Add the powdered peppers to the sauce and meat. Place a half cup of the sauce into the blender, and the habaneros, and blend into an emulsion. Add to the chili. Cover and simmer over very low heat for an hour.

If you so desire, thicken with a quarter cup of masa harina stirred into the chili. It adds a nice flavor and cools the burn slightly.

Make a first aid kit of ice cream, and/or very cold ice-milk to cool the burn.

If you're a crazy chili-head, this chili will satisfy you. If you are a normal chili lover, this will make you cry. Just sayin'.

After eating that bowl full of chili, I could breath on two pieces of steel and braise them together.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:26 PM   #2
Executive Chef

"This next recipe is hot, very, very hot, possibly too hot..."

I like hot Please Stop There> hot hot hot is a few too many Hots for me. I also like Spicy. I think there is a difference between hot and the components that make up spicy. Chile peppers is just one of them.

Do you add the Chilies/ spices in batches throughout the cooking process like they do at Chili Cook-offs events. That would certainly keep the heat in the forefront.

I might try to eat a small bowl or your chili ... if I was hooked up to an ekg monitor and a promise of a bowl of ice cream after.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:48 PM   #3
Master Chef

O probably won't make this chili again. The guests were insistent that I make it as hot as I could. They just didn't understand what I know about peppers.

Like I said, a couple of spoonfuls, or even half a bowl, I can handle. I've been eating this stuff since last Saturday. Surprisingly, when I ate it Saturday night, it didn't seem as hot as after 3 days in the fridge.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 05-13-2015, 09:50 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Enjoy your pain, Chief. I prefer to get pleasure from food.

...and don't tell me pain gives you pleasure...
Old 05-13-2015, 09:51 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
When I eat something too hot, doesn't happen often, I find lemon works well to dissolve the capsaicin off the mucous membranes in my mouth. Sometimes I just add a bit of lemon juice to some water.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:53 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Chili pepper heat is a strong alkalai. The acid in the lemon juice would serve to neutralize it.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:59 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Chili pepper heat is a strong alkalai. The acid in the lemon juice would serve to neutralize it.
Yeah, maybe it doesn't dissolve so much as get neutralized.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:19 AM   #8
Master Chef

Andy, I do like things hot, but don't enjoy pain any more than you do. This was a one-time batch that I won't be making again. I love flavorful chili, but it shouldn't cause pain. As I said, this was too hot. 1 ghost pepper gives good flavor that adds just something extra to good chilli. The same is true of each of the peppers that went into the batch. But chili doesn't have to have any heat at all to be great chili. My white chili is as good a chili as I can make, and is very mild.

I think this was a learning experience for me. Even if guests ask me to make chili as hot as I can, I just won't. I'll make it hot enough to be challenging for those folks, but no burn, at least not for me. That's not to say that it won't be hot to them.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:53 PM   #9
Master Chef

Site Administrator

It's got beans so it isn't really chili...

Old 05-14-2015, 04:31 PM   #10
Master Chef

But how did you feel the next day ... if you catch my drift ...

Tags
bell peppers, chili, ghost peppers, ground beef, more peppers, recipe, tomato

Chief's Dragonfire Chili Previously posted - For Chili-Heads only. Don't know if anyone tried it, but many were intrigued at the idea of putting fish in chili. There was a pretty good discussion going on that thread. This next recipe is hot, very, very hot, possibly too hot for most chili-heads. I like things very hot, and have successfully eaten fresh ghost pepper without feeling any pain. I can eat half a bowl of my Dragonfire Chili before I start to feel pain. After a full bowl of the stuff, my whole mouth is screaming hot, and milk doesn't cool it at all. But I know, that some people are almost addicted to screaming hot chili, and so I'm posting this. Why do I call it Dragonfire Chili; because it's where dragons come to get their fire.:ohmy::lol: And yes, it's a little too hot for me. But you get the full and delicious flavor of those peppers. In my defense, the guests who request the chili said to make it as hot as I could possibly make it. Neither of them finished their bowls. One fo them got half-way through one cereal bowl full. The other got through about four tbs. full. Be forewarned, if you enjoy hot, even really hot, this still may be past your limit. [B][SIZE="3"][B]Dragonfire Chili[/B][/SIZE][/B] [B]Ingredients:[/B] 15 oz. can of dark-red kidney beans 24 oz. can pinto beans 1 large onion, cut into slices 24 oz can of diced tomatoes 4 dried ghost peppers 6 dried cayenne peppers 4 fresh habaneros 6 dried Japone peppers 3 tbs. chili powder 1 tbs. paprika 1 tsp. ground cumin 1 tsp. ground coriander 2 stalks celery, sliced 2 lbs. ground beef Put the beans, tomato, chili powder, paprika, cumin, coriander, and celery into a large pot (this will fill the average slow cooker). Brown the ground beef and season with salt to taste. Add the browned ground beef and sliced onion to the sauce. Place all of the peppers, except the habaneros, into a blender and blend until all peppers are thoroughly ground into a powder. Add the powdered peppers to the sauce and meat. Place a half cup of the sauce into the blender, and the habaneros, and blend into an emulsion. Add to the chili. Cover and simmer over very low heat for an hour. If you so desire, thicken with a quarter cup of masa harina stirred into the chili. It adds a nice flavor and cools the burn slightly. Make a first aid kit of ice cream, and/or very cold ice-milk to cool the burn. If you're a crazy chili-head, this chili will satisfy you. If you are a normal chili lover, this will make you cry. Just sayin'. After eating that bowl full of chili, I could breath on two pieces of steel and braise them together.:lol: Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North 3 stars 1 reviews