"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili

Old 04-17-2006, 01:51 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Im sure Albuquerque serves Jalapenos on your burger but the favorite choice for New Mexicans is chopped green chili even McDonalds offers it.
Once you eat it a few times you become hopelessly addicted alot of people including me start to jones if we are some place where you cant get it.

Old 04-17-2006, 02:12 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
Im sure Albuquerque serves Jalapenos on your burger but the favorite choice for New Mexicans is chopped green chili even McDonalds offers it.
Once you eat it a few times you become hopelessly addicted alot of people including me start to jones if we are some place where you cant get it.
No doubt about that! Our yearly trip isn't the holidays, but in September, when the green chile is harvested. Last year we didn't go because of Katrina, so dear mil peeled and jarred 3 bags for us!!! Then she shipped it. We almost always have a jar open for just about everything. Last week I stuffed some pork chops with green chile & cheddar, breaded in panko & fried in evoo. You've got to try it jp! How's the weather in Raton? I heard it's hot! My family did the walk to the Santuario in Chimayo last week, have you ever done it?

Old 04-17-2006, 02:19 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Ya Baby!Sounds really good corazon it's a little bit hard to explain the green chili thing to people that have never had it.Or how we crave it so much, it's loaded with vitamin C by the way.
It's not too hot but I live at 7500 ft we have had alot of wind and it's really dry havn't had any moisture in along time its 10% humidity outside and only 20% in the house Im cranking a couple of humidifiers then it will only get up to 30%.
Big fire danger right now.
Wish we could get some of your weather.
Never did the walk to Chimayo but I have visited, an awsome experience.
Still have not made to any of the old churches or museums when I go to Santa Fe.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:28 PM   #34
Executive Chef

It is hard to explain the obsession. I know people look at us like we're crazy when we tell them of our annual trip. We've been fairly good at rationing this year, I think it's because my dh has started taking classes in the evenings 4 times a week, so I only cook dinner 1-3 times each week. It helps us slow down on the chile intake. I love driving around when they have the chile roasters out, roll the windows down and smell it all over town! We have some friends getting married on Fiesta weekend this year, so we'll be peeling around then!
Old 04-17-2006, 02:34 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Yep!Cant beat that.The good thing about the dry weather it insures a good chili crop.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:41 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Why would you use plums when you could get peaches for less $$$. The answer is they taste different.
I can taste plums and peaches and decide which I want. I cannot taste ground chile and tell which I want. Chili powder has to cook in something to get a feel for the taste.

Quote:
Yes you can grind seeds up with the chili. This is done on purpose sometimes as the seeds carry some of the heat.
In my case it's only because I do not want to spend the effort to clean chiles completely. I want to cut off the stem, cut it in half and shake the loose stuff out. If anything remains then it gets included in the final product.

It took me two hours to process 6 Cascabel, 6 New Mexicos, 6 Anchos - clean completely and roast That's far too much time and effort unless it is absolutely necessary, which it does not appear to be.

One of the problems was that the Anchos were not completely dry so they took a lot longer than 10 minutes in the oven to be roasted. Next time they are going to sit in a dehydrator for a couple days in advance.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:47 PM   #37
Executive Chef

There's nothing like it!
Old 04-17-2006, 02:47 PM   #38
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Bob
I cannot taste ground chile and tell which I want.
Sure you can. Taste the peppers. taste them before they are dry. Taste them after you dry them. It is just like opening your spice cabinet and tasting cumin, fennel seed, black pepper, etc. Each pepper will have it's own flavor and you can taste the differences between them. Give it a try.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:32 PM   #39
Master Chef

Buy small amounts of different peppers from Penzeys
Old 04-18-2006, 07:58 AM   #40
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Sure you can. Taste the peppers. taste them before they are dry. Taste them after you dry them.
I can't tell any noticable difference among New Mexico, Cascabel and Guajillo.

I think I will settle for now on this recipe:

3 Cascabel chiles, roasted
3 Ancho chiles, roasted
3 Chipotle chiles, roasted
2 T. cumin seeds, roasted
2 T. garlic powder
1 T. Mexican oregano
1 t. Hungarian paprika

That's essentially the same recipe that Alton Brown presented on the Food TV Network: http://tinyurl.com/4xm4q/

Tags
None