"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili

Old 04-26-2006, 12:04 PM   #61
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
Or Diana Kennedy!
Why read books when I have you guys and gals to give me personalized expert advice.

OK, we have settled on that recipe with the double ancho plus the square of unsweetened chocolate (*) and no paprika.

I am off to make a batch of chili right now.

---

(*) I have never eaten unsweetened chocolate, and am I glad. That stuff is horrible tasting right out of the box. And here I thought chocolate was naturally sweet.

Old 04-26-2006, 02:26 PM   #62
Executive Chef

Chocolate is not naturally sweet, tho the Aztecs made a drink of it unsweetened; was said to give them long life and vitality!

Jenny, you're right - forgot about Diana!

Bob, I only recommended the books because you seemed like you wanted to learn more about chiles in depth, and these are the 'masters'. Southwestern chili variations, and 'Tex-Mex' chili variations, all evolved over time from the sauces and moles of Mexico - why not go to the source?

Old 04-26-2006, 02:47 PM   #63
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
Bob, I only recommended the books because you seemed like you wanted to learn more about chiles in depth, and these are the 'masters'. Southwestern chili variations, and 'Tex-Mex' chili variations, all evolved over time from the sauces and moles of Mexico - why not go to the source?
I appreciate the references but I am into this only for the chili and once I have the recipe figured out, that's about all I will be needing. Try as I might, I cannot get into Tex Mex. I suggested a tamale pie to my wife the other day and she said she can come up with a lot more interesting dishes for the calories. She does not like capsicum at all, and I am not a big fan either.

If I can get this chili recipe to work, then I will be quite pleased with the effort.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:52 PM   #64
Chief Eating Officer

Bob I think marmalady was only making mention of those references for you to learn a lot about the chilies you are asking about. These people know more about these things than most people and have a lot to offer. Your chili recipe could greatly benefit from learning about different types of peppers and these are the people to teach that. Just food for thought
Old 04-26-2006, 02:59 PM   #65
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Bob I think marmalady was only making mention of those references for you to learn a lot about the chilies you are asking about. These people know more about these things than most people and have a lot to offer. Your chili recipe could greatly benefit from learning about different types of peppers and these are the people to teach that. Just food for thought
Then I will have a look to see what they say about chili recipes.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:12 PM   #66
Assistant Cook

Whoops! Too many books for me to decide. Here's what amazon.com lists:

Mexican Everyday
by Rick Bayless

Mexico One Plate At A Time
by Rick Bayless

Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen
by Rick Bayless

Authentic Mexican
by Rick Bayless

The Essential Cuisines of Mexico
by Diana Kennedy

From My Mexican Kitchen
by Diana Kennedy

My Mexico
by Diana Kennedy

The Food and Life of Oaxaca
by Zarela Martínez

Zarela's Veracruz
by Zarela Martinez

Food from My Heart
by Zarela Martínez

Which do you all recommend?
Old 04-26-2006, 06:58 PM   #67
Executive Chef

Bob, I understand you just want to make chili; but - you're asking pretty detailed questions about the types of chiles to use, and how best to prepare them, and in what quantities. Hence, the suggestion to do a little research. IMHO, all of cooking is research; sometimes I'll 10 cookbooks and a google page out to find what I'm looking for, or a blend of ideas.

My faves?

From Zarela Martinez, Food and Life of Oaxaca, and Food from my heart.

From Rick Bayless, Mexican Kitchen and Authentic Mexican. For Diana's books, I'll wait for Jenny's opinion, as I'm not familiar with all of them.

I'd also suggest, since you don't want particularly to make a study of Mexican food in general, to see if any of these books are available at your local library. Cheaper!

Oh - and I think 'chili' is a Tex-Mex recipe, derived from the moles and sopa from Mexico.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:34 AM   #68
Master Chef

I have Rick B's "Mexican Everyday" and "Mexico One Plate At A Time" and I use them both a lot. Since M-lady likes the other two, that will give me an excuse to buy them!!

I have "The Essential Cuisines of Mexico" and "From My Mexican Kitchen"
by Diana Kennedy. The latter is pretty advaced and detailed with much discussion of ingredients and technique. Many of the ingredients are impossible to find even at my great Hi-Lo hispanic market. So, I'd probably recommend the former, which is more recipe-driven and gives info on the various regional cusines.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:54 AM   #69
Executive Chef

Jenny, you have to look at Zarela's books! Her Oaxaca book is chock full of the most beautiful pictures from the region, and the history and authenticity can't be beat! Had the opportunity to eat at her restaurant and meet her; absolutely charming woman, and food was outstanding!

I also assisted at a series of cooking classes with Rick Bayless, and he's just awesome! He actually brought masa dough, chiles, and something else I can't remember from Chicago, because he thought we wouldn't be able to find it in NJ! But his class was superb and the dishes prepared were just wonderful - not to mention the techniques learned!

Bob - Sorry for the thread hijack!
Old 04-27-2006, 12:17 PM   #70
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
Bob, I understand you just want to make chili; but - you're asking pretty detailed questions about the types of chiles to use, and how best to prepare them, and in what quantities. Hence, the suggestion to do a little research. IMHO, all of cooking is research; sometimes I'll 10 cookbooks and a google page out to find what I'm looking for, or a blend of ideas.
That's pretty much how I do it, including consulting specialty forums like this one.

Regarding your favorite books, 3 of them were available at the Houston Public Library

Food from my Heart, Zarela Martinez
Mexican Kitchen, Rick Bayless
Authentic Mexican, Rick Bayless

I could order the 4th from Interlibrary Loan, but this is enough for now.

Quote:
if any of these books are available at your local library. Cheaper!
Indeed! I rarely buy books anymore.

Quote:
Oh - and I think 'chili' is a Tex-Mex recipe
Yes, chili was invented in Texas. Legend has it that it was a trail mix. Gebhardt made a significant contribution when he invented chili powder, or at least when he commercialized it.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I made the chili last night and it is the best I have ever made. Thanks for all the advice.

I am posting the final recipe as a separate post so it is on the record. I like to tinker with recipes as I go along, but at some point the tinkering must stop.

Tags
None