"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili

Old 04-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #91
Executive Chef

Princess Fiona,

I am sure that you are a quite a whiz in the kitch. I would not doubt it for a second.

I have meant; the visual of the dish, in other words, Chili Con Carne in a huge pot; however, how would you present the pot of Chili or Deep Dish Platter ?

Also, the Guacamole, Sourcream and Monterrey Jack or Extra sharp shaved Cheddar, would appear as a well, indented with the Colorful Pesto which serves as a Decor garnish ...

Good question ...

Have nice Sunday.
Margi.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #92
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I love the idea, Margi, but in a different venue. I'll be presenting it in my Cobalt Blue Crock Pot.

We will be serving the residents who have specific dietary needs, so we don't want to top with anything they cannot eat. Same with our judges, I know at least one of them does not eat dairy. And one judge won't touch an avocado...she's nuts, but I love her!

Old 04-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #93
Executive Chef

Princess Fiona,

Now I understand.

Like the Cobalt Blue Crock, as it is a contrast of color for the Reddish Brown Brick Chili Con Carne ... Now I got it ...

Enjoy the day.
Margi.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #94
Executive Chef

Wow. Things are starting to take shape here. I second the beef instead of chicken, the use of cocoa, and the thickening with a little masa. :)
Can't wait to try it when the recipe is set!
Old 04-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #95
Master Chef

I have but one piece of advise, ok, maybe two. First, add seasonings, a little at a time. You can always add more of something. But if it's in the pot, you can't take it out. I once added a bunch of cilantro to a batch of chili. Now cilantro in chili is a good thing. But too much cilantro gives the flavor of soap, not good in anything.

Tip 2. My last batch of chili included an ingredient that I'd never used before in a red chili, baking soda, just a pinch. Tomato adds acidity, and acids are sour. My chili was always good, but often had too much tomato flavor. That strong tomato flavor tended to mask the other flavors. I'd heard on DC, that the addition of a pinch of baking powder to marinara can enhance the sauce. I figured that it removed some of the acidity from the sauce. I tried it in my chili. The result was amazing. The other flavors, the peppers, the herbs and spices, even the beef flavor came through loud and clear, with just enough tomato flavor to carry the other ingredients. But you only need a pinch. too much can ruin the chili.

As was said by others, cocoa adds depth, as do the use of different kinds of dried and fresh peppers. Onion is a must, and not onion powder, but fresh slices. Cilantro, and coriander may be from the same plant, but have different flavors, and so both can add to the chili flavor. Cumin is a must. For beans, it depends on where you live whether you use them or not, and if you do use them, the kind of beans used is regional as well. A combination of dark-red kidney beans, pinto beans, and maybe black beans is an awesome mix, as each has a different flavor, again creating depth of flavor.

Use what you know about cooking, and you know a lot. Choose your ingredients by what you know. Play with the flavors in your mind before adding them to the chili, and then, add them a little at a time, let them cook in, and taste. If you need more of something, you can add it. Tweak it as you cook it. Chill it in a bowl full of ice water and refrigerate over night to really let the flavors blend. Reheat to 160, and hold at 145 to serve. My favorite cheese to go with chili is sharp cheddar, but that's just me. Queso Fresco is also very good, or Monteray Jack. Even a good Colby, or sharp Pinconning is very good. The cheese must accent the chili, not overwhelm it.

PRiFy, you will make the best chili, period. How can anyone else hope to compete?

Go git-em.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #96
Sous Chef

Am I the only person around here who hates kidney beans I will vote pintos!

There are so many good ideas, I have the urge to make it myself.

onions, masa, cocoa, cumin, coriander, crushed tomatoes, tomato juice or/ sauce, the pinch of baking powder (must try this), hot and sweet peppers, garlic, beef.... I also love smoky flavors so chipolte in some form
Old 04-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #97
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Thanks Chief and Merlot, ideas scribbled in.

Just a note...I make a kick butt chili, not my first rodeo, I just thought it would make a fun project for DC to come up with a DC Recipe. I am appreciating all the ideas and suggestions. Keep them coming.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #98
Master Chef

My mom always added a small amount of baking soda to beans. She swore it "deflatulated" the gas.

I think you mean baking soda, not powder Chief.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #99
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
My mom always added a small amount of baking soda to beans. She swore it "deflatulated" the gas.

Nope, Chief wrote it both ways...covering all his bases.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #100
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

That always caused a debate in my family with all of the old girls. Some believed you should add a half teaspoon of soda and cook the beans for 45 minutes, then drain and start over with fresh water to reduce the gas, others though it changed the texture of the beans and made them mushy. We were from the leave it out and take our chances school of thought!

Tags
chili