Chili Challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nope, we are in elimination mode...or adding more as needed.

Also, this cannot be too hot, so if something on the list is very fiery, let me know...have to eliminate it. I'm sure chipotles and habaneros will be off the list.

Last edited:
I don't think you need epazote.

You can use a green bell in place of the cubanelle. No point in making this more difficult than it has to be.

Choose masa or corn tortillas for a thickener. You don't need both.

Choose brown sugar or molasses, you don't need both.

I vote for beef over chicken

I vote for kidney beans over pintos.

You should have some mix of fresh peppers and dried peppers - hot and sweet.

Pick chipotles in one of the forms listed. Eliminate the others.

Choose one source of tomato.

Last edited:
Thank you, Andy.

I'll be scribbling down likes and dislikes for the next week. As Picked and Eliminate.

Then post the results on the weekend.

Epazote is from Penzey's, it's called the "bean herb" in Mexican cooking, and supposedly reduces gas. Not totally necessary, but does add a nice flavor.

I would grind whole cumin seed. If you use a good quality chili powder, you may not need the chipotles. The list of peppers is unneccesary, IMO.

Last edited:
Epazote is from Penzey's, it's called the "bean herb" in Mexican cooking, and supposedly reduces gas. Not totally necessary, but does add a nice flavor.

Thanks, Dawgluver! I have an account there...and I can get any other spices, herbs and chiles I may need from them.:rolleyes:

I've never used masa or any other thickener. Would strongly urge the cocoa powder.

Definitely ground beef, kidney beans, tomatoes (both crushed and paste), onions, garlic.

Last edited:
Andy M. said:
I vote for beef over chicken

I vote for kidney beans over pintos.

You should have some mix of fresh peppers and dried peppers - hot and sweet.

Pick chipotles in one of the forms listed. Eliminate the others.

Choose one source of tomato.

I agree with these. I also recommend the coriander. You don't need a lot of it.

Princess Fiona: Presentation & Visuals

Sunday Morning 11.30am

Dear Fiona,

Upon return from the awesome Leonardo Da Vinci Exhibition being held in Madrid Capital, and a dinner out; I had gone through the thread and we thought to bring up the subject of Presentation - Visuals ...

We have agreed that the Chili Con Carne can use a bit of bright color, and texture difference and of course, suggest the following pairings of:

1) Guacamole Pesto: The lime green Haas Mexican ( black wrinkled ones ) avocado, garlic, onion, tomato, Evoo, a bit of cilantro, Serrano chili and some Mexican Fritos ( Dorado corn chips) ... This would be indented as a " well " in centre of the Chili con Carne ... " Pretty " ! Note: Since this is an event, taste testers can take a corn chip, dip into the chili con carne and avocado and sour cream with the chips instead of a spoon !

2) Also, Sour Cream of course as a dollop ( on top of the Guacamole ) for a touch of more texture and color ...

3) Perched in the Guacamole admist the Sourcream, a little Flag, with your Name on it !

I do not know whether or not, you find this feasible, however, it is a good idea for a future chili perhaps.

Have a lovely wkend.
Margi. Cintrano.

Thank you, Margi! I'm not sure how we are setting up, yet. I do know that Dietary is providing all the "fixings". Chips, sour cream, etc. I'll find out about the Guacamole, I do make a good one of those!

Princess Fiona,

I am sure that you are a quite a whiz in the kitch. I would not doubt it for a second.

I have meant; the visual of the dish, in other words, Chili Con Carne in a huge pot; however, how would you present the pot of Chili or Deep Dish Platter ?

Also, the Guacamole, Sourcream and Monterrey Jack or Extra sharp shaved Cheddar, would appear as a well, indented with the Colorful Pesto which serves as a Decor garnish ...

Good question ...

Have nice Sunday.
Margi.

I love the idea, Margi, but in a different venue. I'll be presenting it in my Cobalt Blue Crock Pot.

We will be serving the residents who have specific dietary needs, so we don't want to top with anything they cannot eat. Same with our judges, I know at least one of them does not eat dairy. And one judge won't touch an avocado...she's nuts, but I love her!

Princess Fiona,

Now I understand.

Like the Cobalt Blue Crock, as it is a contrast of color for the Reddish Brown Brick Chili Con Carne ... Now I got it ...

Enjoy the day.
Margi.

Wow. Things are starting to take shape here. I second the beef instead of chicken, the use of cocoa, and the thickening with a little masa. :)
Can't wait to try it when the recipe is set!

I have but one piece of advise, ok, maybe two. First, add seasonings, a little at a time. You can always add more of something. But if it's in the pot, you can't take it out. I once added a bunch of cilantro to a batch of chili. Now cilantro in chili is a good thing. But too much cilantro gives the flavor of soap, not good in anything.

Tip 2. My last batch of chili included an ingredient that I'd never used before in a red chili, baking soda, just a pinch. Tomato adds acidity, and acids are sour. My chili was always good, but often had too much tomato flavor. That strong tomato flavor tended to mask the other flavors. I'd heard on DC, that the addition of a pinch of baking powder to marinara can enhance the sauce. I figured that it removed some of the acidity from the sauce. I tried it in my chili. The result was amazing. The other flavors, the peppers, the herbs and spices, even the beef flavor came through loud and clear, with just enough tomato flavor to carry the other ingredients. But you only need a pinch. too much can ruin the chili.

As was said by others, cocoa adds depth, as do the use of different kinds of dried and fresh peppers. Onion is a must, and not onion powder, but fresh slices. Cilantro, and coriander may be from the same plant, but have different flavors, and so both can add to the chili flavor. Cumin is a must. For beans, it depends on where you live whether you use them or not, and if you do use them, the kind of beans used is regional as well. A combination of dark-red kidney beans, pinto beans, and maybe black beans is an awesome mix, as each has a different flavor, again creating depth of flavor.

Use what you know about cooking, and you know a lot. Choose your ingredients by what you know. Play with the flavors in your mind before adding them to the chili, and then, add them a little at a time, let them cook in, and taste. If you need more of something, you can add it. Tweak it as you cook it. Chill it in a bowl full of ice water and refrigerate over night to really let the flavors blend. Reheat to 160, and hold at 145 to serve. My favorite cheese to go with chili is sharp cheddar, but that's just me. Queso Fresco is also very good, or Monteray Jack. Even a good Colby, or sharp Pinconning is very good. The cheese must accent the chili, not overwhelm it.

PRiFy, you will make the best chili, period. How can anyone else hope to compete?

Go git-em.:chef:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Am I the only person around here who hates kidney beans :ohmy: I will vote pintos!

There are so many good ideas, I have the urge to make it myself. :)

onions, masa, cocoa, cumin, coriander, crushed tomatoes, tomato juice or/ sauce, the pinch of baking powder (must try this), hot and sweet peppers, garlic, beef.... I also love smoky flavors so chipolte in some form

Thanks Chief and Merlot, ideas scribbled in.

Just a note...I make a kick butt chili, not my first rodeo, I just thought it would make a fun project for DC to come up with a DC Recipe. I am appreciating all the ideas and suggestions. Keep them coming.

My mom always added a small amount of baking soda to beans. She swore it "deflatulated" the gas. :LOL:

I think you mean baking soda, not powder Chief.

Nope, Chief wrote it both ways...covering all his bases.

Last edited:
My mom always added a small amount of baking soda to beans. She swore it "deflatulated" the gas. :LOL:

I think you mean baking soda, not powder Chief.

That always caused a debate in my family with all of the old girls. Some believed you should add a half teaspoon of soda and cook the beans for 45 minutes, then drain and start over with fresh water to reduce the gas, others though it changed the texture of the beans and made them mushy. We were from the leave it out and take our chances school of thought! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom