Chili Challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the one thing everyone is forgetting is that this recipe will be for folks with explicit dietary needs. Everyone is adding what they would put in the chili for their own families. A lot of people can not or will not eat 'hot' foods. Therefore mild chili peppers are the only ones that would be acceptable. Her instructions state "no beans." So they will have to be served on the side. Because cilantro can give off the taste of soap, it might be necessary to omit it all together. Salt has to be omitted due to dietary needs. The chili has to taste as if there is salt in it. So other seasonings have to take the place of salt. Any of the seasonings not allowed will have to be served as sides.
It is going to take an exceptional cook to meet all the requirements and restrictions placed on the contest. I have faith in the Princess. Go get 'em girl. :chef:

This is such fun! We all know PF is chili cook extraordinaire, but how nice to open it up to DC and get everyone's input! Am thinking this group effort chili will be fantastic!

I think you mean baking soda, not powder Chief.
Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3 - Wikipedia: "baking soda") while baking powder is the same plus "one or more acid salts, and an inert starch" (Wikipedia: "baking powder"). "Reaction of sodium bicarbonate and an acid produces a salt and carbonic acid, which readily decomposes to carbon dioxide and water" (baking soda article). Simply put, bicarbonate reacts with the acid in the tomatoes to produce a salt, thus neutralizing the acid. I think probably any benefit results solely from the bicarbonate in baking soda, and I doubt that the additional ingredients in baking powder (salts, starch) would provide any additional benefit in a chili recipe.

As far as degassing beans, AFAIK the methane gas is produced in the intestines by bacteria breaking down oligosaccharides (sugars found in beans). I don't understand how the addition of baking soda (or powder) could alter that.

Last edited:
The Chief stated his use of baking soda was for the purpose of reducing the acidity introduced by tomatoes, not degassing beans. He erred in using the term baking powder later in the paragraph. I have no doubt he knows the difference between the two and understands how it works better than most.

Chief Longwind Of The North said:
Here's an idea that I'm gonna have to try. I love chili and enter contests every year. I've one only once, and never with my red chili. I think I've figured out why though.

Anyways, here's the idea. Are you familiar with Carne Asada? If not, it would be a great starter recipe for DC chili.

Ingredients.
3 lb. flank steak
1 green bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
1 large, yellow onion
3 tbs. fresh lime juice
3 tbs. fresh cilantro.
Salt & pepper
2 fresh Fresh Jalapeno. diced

Grill the flank steak over hot charcoal until medium rare. While the meat is grilling, dice the other ingredients, and chop the cilantro.

When the meat is done, remove to a good cutting board and dice it into cubes. Start the veggies cooking in a little beef fat until tender-crisp. Add the meat, salt and pepper, cilantro, and lime juice. Stir over medium heat for three minutes.

This filling is usually served with guacamole and put into burritos and tacos. But the flavor profile would be a great starter for the chile, with the smokey meat, and lime playing off of the lime and cilantro. Add cumin, chili powder, and a touch of coriander.

So that's my offering to start the chili. Others can play around with this idea and add to it as seems right.

Other ingredients that would work well, canned, ripe tomatoes, canned crushed tomatoes, Different kinds of hot peppers for added depth, a little cocoa powder, a pinch of baking soda to take out some of the acidity that can mask the other flavors, celery, pinto beans, dark-red kidney beans, Masa harina, or crushed, fresh, corn tortillas.

I'm sure that you will get more ingredients.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I knew I would learn something here. Thanks Chief. :)

The Chief stated his use of baking soda was for the purpose of reducing the acidity introduced by tomatoes, not degassing beans. He erred in using the term baking powder later in the paragraph. I have no doubt he knows the difference between the two and understands how it works better than most.
My comments were not intended to reply or rebut Longwind's post. My comments about beans were in reference to other comments in this topic and had nothing to do with Longwind's post. I presume Longwind's mention of baking powder was merely a slip of the key and I'm sure in reference to that he meant baking soda.

Last edited:
From your list of ingredients, ( earlier page), I arranged the Peppers according to the Scoville Heat Scale. These are they/ them -- mildest to hottest. I didn't include things like "chili powder" since this can vary per brand. Not sure how this is useful, but perhaps---

Green Bell Peppers 0-0
Cubanelles 100-1000
New Mexico pepper 500-1000
Anaheim 500-2500
Poblanos 1000-2000
Jalapenos 2500-5000
Cascabel 2500-8000
Hungarian yellow peppers 5000-8000
Chipotle 5000-10000
Serranos 6000-23000
Cayenne 30000-50000
Sanaam ~40000
Habeneros 100000-350000

I think this is why they tell you to wear latex gloves when working with peppers !!

More info available at :

The Scoville Heat Scale for Chilli Peppers and Hot Sauces from ChilliWorld. Compare relative heats all the way to Blair's 6 A.M. - pure capsaicin.

Last edited:
Thanks, that helps a lot seeing where the peppers lie on the scale. I'm thinking jalapenos and under is where we should hang out. We can always offer some great sauces to go along if someone wants more heat.

Thanks, that helps a lot seeing where the peppers lie on the scale. I'm thinking jalapenos and under is where we should hang out. We can always offer some great sauces to go along if someone wants more heat.

Bottles of Tabasco Sauce are great. There are several varieties.

Andy M. said:
Bottles of Tabasco Sauce are great. There are several varieties.

Yes! Chipotle Tabasco is wonderful. I like it better than the original. Nice to put out with condiments for those who want a bit more heat.

I also find low sodium V8 can be a nice addition to chili. Mine can tend to get thick, and this thins it out without adding too much tomato/acid flavor.

Last edited:
Yes! Chipotle Tabasco is wonderful. I like it better than the original. Nice to put out with condiments for those who want a bit more heat.

I also find low sodium V8 can be a nice addition to chili. Mine can tend to get thick, and this thins it out without adding too much tomato/acid flavor.

And I thought V-8 was my secret...:ohmy:

I'm pretty sure Shrek and I have every flavor of Tabasco there is...it's our favorite condiment. And we sure do know how to use it.

Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3 - Wikipedia: "baking soda") while baking powder is the same plus "one or more acid salts, and an inert starch" (Wikipedia: "baking powder"). "Reaction of sodium bicarbonate and an acid produces a salt and carbonic acid, which readily decomposes to carbon dioxide and water" (baking soda article). Simply put, bicarbonate reacts with the acid in the tomatoes to produce a salt, thus neutralizing the acid. I think probably any benefit results solely from the bicarbonate in baking soda, and I doubt that the additional ingredients in baking powder (salts, starch) would provide any additional benefit in a chili recipe.

As far as degassing beans, AFAIK the methane gas is produced in the intestines by bacteria breaking down oligosaccharides (sugars found in beans). I don't understand how the addition of baking soda (or powder) could alter that.

If bicarbonate soda produces salt as an end product, I would think it is an item that can not be added due to the dietary needs of the residents. You also have to remember, not all residents or guests will be eating the beans. They have to be served separately on the side. Beans are not the issue here. The chili is. :)

Last edited:
PrincessFiona60 said:
And snacks. I buy it buy the case at Costco, 1 every two weeks.

Envious, though shortly, in July, we too shall be getting a nearby Costco!

(Dang, doesn't take much to make me happy)

Back
Top Bottom