Chili Challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If bicarbonate soda produces salt as an end product, I would think it is an item that can not be added due to the dietary needs of the residents. You also have to remember, not all residents or guests will be eating the beans. They have to be served separately on the side. Beans are not the issue here. The chili is. :)

My comments regarding baking soda and beans were in response to the following posts:

My mom always added a small amount of baking soda to beans. She swore it "deflatulated" the gas. :LOL:

That always caused a debate in my family with all of the old girls. Some believed you should add a half teaspoon of soda and cook the beans for 45 minutes, then drain and start over with fresh water to reduce the gas, others though it changed the texture of the beans and made them mushy. We were from the leave it out and take our chances school of thought! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Personally, I would never add beans to chili. That is of course just my preference. I have no intention of suggesting to anybody else whether or not they should use beans in their chili. However I don't place any credence in the theory that baking soda will degas beans.

Last edited:
My comments regarding baking soda and beans were in response to the following posts:

Personally, I would never add beans to chili. That is of course just my preference. I have no intention of suggesting to anybody else whether or not they should use beans in their chili. However I don't place any credence in the theory that baking soda will degas beans.

When my kids were small I made Boston Baked Beans every Saturday. And on Monday, along with a lot of other kids, they took cold bean sandwiches to school. I never, ever added baking soda to the beans. I would soak them overnight, drain the water, clean water, boil them and used that water for the bean pot. My box of baking soda stayed on the shelf. We never had any problem with the after effects of gas. :yum:

Here's my two cents;

1) I am not familiar with beef recipes (Hindu). But I will say that I complement my turkey chili with ground lamb. The lamb when it cooks adds an extremely unique flavor that can't really be replicated.

2) The secret to my chili which I have never seen replicated is pineapples. This I think could really add some flavor to your chili if you avoid a lot of heat. I add half my diced pineapples at the beginning of the process, browning them with the onions etc, The rest of them I add when the chili is stewing. The pineapple goes very well with a very meaty chili.

3) Good luck! My favorite spices in chili are paprika and cumin.

Nope, Chief wrote it both ways...covering all his bases.

First, Andy, thanks for the vote of confidence. And PriFi, it's true, I made a typo. I meant baking soda.

Just thought of something, if beans aren't allowed in this chili, you can get a similar texture, and great flavor by adding white or yellow hominy. Try a little in a small, experimental batch. I have used hominy, and everyone seemed to really enjoy its addition.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Here's my two cents;

1) I am not familiar with beef recipes (Hindu). But I will say that I complement my turkey chili with ground lamb. The lamb when it cooks adds an extremely unique flavor that can't really be replicated.

2) The secret to my chili which I have never seen replicated is pineapples. This I think could really add some flavor to your chili if you avoid a lot of heat. I add half my diced pineapples at the beginning of the process, browning them with the onions etc, The rest of them I add when the chili is stewing. The pineapple goes very well with a very meaty chili.

3) Good luck! My favorite spices in chili are paprika and cumin.

Pineapples.. I bet that would be good!

First, Andy, thanks for the vote of confidence. And PriFi, it's true, I made a typo. I meant baking soda.

Just thought of something, if beans aren't allowed in this chili, you can get a similar texture, and great flavor by adding white or yellow hominy. Try a little in a small, experimental batch. I have used hominy, and everyone seemed to really enjoy its addition.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I knew it!:)

It's not that beans are not allowed, it's a preference for some to not have beans in their chili. I will be serving the beans on the side.

I knew it!:)

It's not that beans are not allowed, it's a preference for some to not have beans in their chili. I will be serving the beans on the side.

Are you going to put herbs and spices into the beans, so that they don't dramatically change the flavor of the chili, for those who choose to add them to their bowl?

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Are you going to put herbs and spices into the beans, so that they don't dramatically change the flavor of the chili, for those who choose to add them to their bowl?

Yes, I will be adding the same spice mix/liquid base to the beans we use in the chili, just a lighter hand. It should meld together nicely for those who want beans.

I guess I am making two dishes, a beanless chili and a meatless chlii.

Yes, I will be adding the same spice mix/liquid base to the beans we use in the chili, just a lighter hand. It should meld together nicely for those who want beans.

I guess I am making two dishes, a beanless chili and a meatless chlii.

Why not serve your beanless chili as the standard, and have the beans available, along with a bowl of sauteed onions and peppers for those who want to add them to the bowls of beanless red. They can then make their chili according to their own tastes simply by choosing from your chili-fixins bar. everyone gets what they want. As for the judges, they get the beanless red.

You might also have shredded cheese and tortilla chips available. But don't be giving away kisses, just so all the guys will come to your booth. That's just cheating. No one else would have a chance. Besides, you have an ogre for a husband. We don't want anyone hurt here.;) And if BT's in town, well we all know that he's just plain incorrigible. Keep him away from the Bikini Babes chili team. You've got to promise me that. It's for his own good.:LOL:

Last edited:
The beanless chili with beef will be the standard, spiced beans on the side for those that choose. Fixings are being supplied by the facility for those that want them.

As for a kissing booth...I know the judges...no kisses from them, thanks. Now, if BT shows up, he's on his own...there's lots'o'grannies here that would try taking him out.

Back
Top Bottom