"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili

Old 04-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #71
Honey Badger

Princess you are so brave to take on a challenge like this. I like the friendly spirit of the idea. No matter what everyone is getting involved. Can't go wrong with that at all.

I don't have any special recipes like most here do. Finding some of the ingredients can be a challenge especially if it's out of season.

Have you thought about using a Brisket. A little one can go a long way for chili. I didn't see it mentioned if you or anyone else had set a budget for the fun. Start a day or so ahead with some things. Then at the last few hours put it all together. Fill a Crock Pot and go. Less stress on you. Easy transport and delivery.

You've already won in many DC'ers (sp) book.

Munky.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #72
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Princess you are so brave to take on a challenge like this. I like the friendly spirit of the idea. No matter what everyone is getting involved. Can't go wrong with that at all.

I don't have any special recipes like most here do. Finding some of the ingredients can be a challenge especially if it's out of season.

Have you thought about using a Brisket. A little one can go a long way for chili. I didn't see it mentioned if you or anyone else had set a budget for the fun. Start a day or so ahead with some things. Then at the last few hours put it all together. Fill a Crock Pot and go. Less stress on you. Easy transport and delivery.

You've already won in many DC'ers (sp) book.

Munky.

Thanks Munky!

No set price, I have 1/8th of a cow in the freezer, so no problem with beef. About the only thing I don't have on hand is fresh ingredients and I'm waiting to see if my boss can get me some Cubanelles from Spokane.

I'm still working on this list of mentioned ingredients and will post it soon. Tonight i need to relax, had a rough day at work. Once I get the list up, we can see what we have to work with.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #73
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
Here's the Texas rule book (and it is a book):

http://www.chili.org/documents/CASI%...ule%20Book.pdf

Note particularly, no beans, rice or other such filler. Contestant may be asked to taste their own product prior to the judge tasting it, and refusal is disqualification. And discharging firearms or explosions, as part of the preparation or otherwise, is prohibited.
By the time you finish reading the whole dang book, your chili should be done and ready for judgiing.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #74
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I dislike most dried beans. I really prefer chili with no beans.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #75
Chef Extraordinaire

When I lived in Texas, I can't think of one Cantina that served chili with beans. The one I worked in, you had to ask for them as a separate dish. You got crackers on the side with a LOT of Mexican cheese on top of the chili. If there were three or four people sitting at a table and they all ordered chili, I would put a whole sleeve of crackers on the table.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #76
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When I lived in Texas, I can't think of one Cantina that served chili with beans. The one I worked in, you had to ask for them as a separate dish. You got crackers on the side with a LOT of Mexican cheese on top of the chili. If there were three or four people sitting at a table and they all ordered chili, I would put a whole sleeve of crackers on the table.
hrm PF, can you put toppings on the side for people to put on (cheese, sourcream, green onions etc?)
Old 04-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #77
Chef Extraordinaire

The Cantina I worked in, the customer base was 99% Mexican fishermen from Mexico. Most of them didn't even speak English. And the owner, Mama Lupe was also from Mexico. So what she served was what they would be eating at home. The cheese she served also came from Mexico. The topping of green onions, sour cream, etc. are what she called, "Gringo Food." Not a nice expression. At least not in the way she meant it. The crackers were the only 'gringo' food that she was willing to go with. In Mexico it would have been flour tortillas. She had them, but if you wanted to substitue, it would cost extra. She knew how to make her money. Crackers were a lot cheaper to serve.

Surprisingly, the customers really liked me. I think it was the fact that I am part Indian. Even though my tribe is located in New England. And they had a few good laughs at my expense trying to understand my attempts at Spanish. I didn't mind at all.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #78
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'm sure they will have all the fixin's along with the chili, the facility is good about that.

I'll be posting this weekend, have a few things I have to do for work the next couple night's, so Saturday I should have all the ingredient's mentioned listed in OCD order and we can start eliminating and or adding.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #79
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

DC Chili Challenge Ingredient List

Beef
Chicken

Pinto Beans
Kidney beans

Onion
Garlic
Tomato
Tomato Paste
El Pato Tomato Sauce
Green Bell Peppers
Cubanelles
Poblanos
Serranos
Habaneros
Hungarian Yellow Peppers
Anaheims
Jalapenos
Dried Chipotles
Sanaam
Cascabel
Dried Jalapenos
Cayenne
Crushed Red Pepper
Hungarian Paprika
Smoked Spanish Paprika
Chipotle powder
Chili Powder
Ground Cumin
Cumin Seed
Oregano
Marjoram
Dried Ancho Chiles
Chiptotles in Adobo
Coriander
Epazote

Masa
Corn Tortillas
Brown Sugar
Molasses
Lime Juice
Cocoa
Cider Vinegar
Old 04-14-2012, 10:34 PM   #80
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I will not be able to use cubes of beef, some folks cannot chew it well, so I plan on using the coarse plate on the grinder for the meat.

Salt is a consideration, many folks have a salt-free or low-salt diet, so salt will not be used in the recipe. The fat content should also be kept at a minimum.

Let's start eliminating some ingredients, I have looked for the epazote and cannot find it here...is there an online source? Still waiting to hear of we can get the cubanelles.

Tags
chili