"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili

Old 11-13-2004, 01:15 PM   #51
Sous Chef

Well, I'm making chili today and it seems too tart. I added a little cocoa powder in hopes of cutting the tartness down, and it's simmering away in the kitchen. The spiciness is good, the color is good and the thickness will be fine after a bit more time, but it's just too tart.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
BC

Old 11-13-2004, 02:10 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

the opposite of tart is sweet, right? so maybe a bit of brown sugar might do the trick...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 10:27 PM   #53
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
the opposite of tart is sweet, right? so maybe a bit of brown sugar might do the trick...
Well, because I was going to enter it in an annual chili contest/party, I thought I'd try your suggestion. It was entirely too tart before I started with the cocoa powder. One or the other, or possibly the combination of the two things really did the trick. I came in second place out of 13 chilis. Not bad for one that I considered leaving at home because of the tartness.

Thanks for the tip!

BC
Old 11-15-2004, 03:29 AM   #54
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenMI
What I'm thinking of using, is a mix of hamburger and some kind of sausage (I saw that someone else already does that), either Italian or Chorizo. I'd also like to add a few Chipotles (packed in Adobo), seeded and minced.
You know how it works sometimes that you hear of something for the first time, then suddenly you're seeing it all over the place? Before yesterday I had never heard of chipotles packed in adobo; then I saw an Alton Smith show, where he added what looked like a couple of tablespoons of it to hand-mashed sweet potatoes, along with some butter. It seemed inspired.

Cats
Old 11-15-2004, 03:47 AM   #55
Senior Cook

A major cooking objective my whole life has been to duplicate the flavor of Hormel's Chili. Not the solid ingredients ratio necessarily, but the flavor. I adore the stuff. I still haven't gotten there, but the following is what I've come up with, after much experimentation. It's a good, comparatively mild chili, even if you don't care about Hormel's one way or the other.

Cats' Chili

2 T Crisco
1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground pork
4 yellow onions, finely chopped
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 T cumin
2 T chili powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
2 tsp Tabasco
2 T Worchestershire sauce
4 T white vinegar
1 T oregano
1 28-oz can puried tomatoes
1 lb can kidney beans, with juice
1 lb can pinto beans, with juice
1/2 cup concentrated beef stock

Add oil to pot. Saute beef, pork, onions, garlic, cumin and chili powder until the meat is browned.

Add remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer. cooked for 1-1/2 hours. Add additional beef stock as needed.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:22 AM   #56
Master Chef

Catsey; The missing flavor in your chili is coriander. Coriander and cummin are the main flavors in Hormel chili. But be careful with both as they can easily overpower the other ingredients, especially the coriander. :D

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 05:51 AM   #57
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
Catsey; The missing flavor in your chili is coriander.
Goodweed, a thousand thanks! I never would have thought of coriander. I can't wait to try it in my next batch. My undying gratitude. :)

Tags
None