"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili

Old 11-04-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
Master Chef

Chili Concentrate

With the chilil cookoff coming up, I thought it might be a good idea to make up a practice batch of hot-red. I put in the usual ingredients for my Great Lakes style chili, kidney beans, black beans, crushed and diced tomatoes, onion, celery, unsweetened chocolate, home-grown peppers, ground beef, and herbs and spices. I let the chili cook for a few hours in a large, wide SS dutch oven. The rresult was a well flavored, but intense and thick chili. I had allowed too much water to evaporate from the chili. You could litterally stand a spoon in it. I chilled it overnight and heated a bowl -full for this morning's breadfast. Again, it was too potent. So I added a half cup of water, and a tbs. of tomato paste. The taste rounded out perfectly. I ended up with a bowl of very good chili.

I think I know what inspired soup companies to make condensed soups.

I have to say, this stuff bottled would certainly take up less space than the ready to eat chili. That would make it great for food-storage projects.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
Master Chef

I prefer thick chili like that, actually.

Sounds good! And good luck!

Old 11-04-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
Head Chef

Hey Chief, etc.,

Looks really good. I'm sure you'll go home with the prize.

Tags
chili, chili-powder, recipe

Chili Concentrate With the chilil cookoff coming up, I thought it might be a good idea to make up a practice batch of hot-red. I put in the usual ingredients for my Great Lakes style chili, kidney beans, black beans, crushed and diced tomatoes, onion, celery, unsweetened chocolate, home-grown peppers, ground beef, and herbs and spices. I let the chili cook for a few hours in a large, wide SS dutch oven. The rresult was a well flavored, but intense and thick chili. I had allowed too much water to evaporate from the chili. You could litterally stand a spoon in it.:lol: I chilled it overnight and heated a bowl -full for this morning's breadfast. Again, it was too potent. So I added a half cup of water, and a tbs. of tomato paste. The taste rounded out perfectly. I ended up with a bowl of very good chili. I think I know what inspired soup companies to make condensed soups.:rofl: I have to say, this stuff bottled would certainly take up less space than the ready to eat chili. That would make it great for food-storage projects. Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North 3 stars 1 reviews