Chili meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Combination of beef and pork. Both cubed and not

ground. I like the flavor of the sauce better with 2 meats. I don't add beans either.

Ground sirloin and cubed sirloin. It's lower in fat content when trimmed properly and you get a good flavor from it. I use 3 pounds of each, but I make 18 quarts and it lasts an entire year.

I like ground and cubed sirloin, also. Sometimes, I grind up chicken for my chili, as well.

I used to use ground but lately I omit the meat altogether. I use beans, peppers, onions, tomatoes and spices.

I've been making my chili for forty years - always ground chuck w/ beans too! Making some Sat. for the Michigan - Michigan State game !!

I go down the road to a store that sells primarily select grade beef - because it is lower in inter-muscular fat (aka: marbling) than choice grade normally found in most stores and get a big chuck roast. I bring it home, trim it, and cut it into about 1-inch cubes .... then process in batches by tossing a few cubes at a time into the food processor with the steel blade and pulse it a few times until it chops the meat to the texture I want. It's not as tedious as cutting little cubes and it has more texture than ground. And, I like chuck because it's high in collagen which I think adds a little body.

Miss Angie...When I get serious about making chili, I do what Michael does. I wait for the stores to run Chuck roast on sale, bring them home, trim them up, and grind through a "chili plate". This gives me a course grind of meat that is tender, and has a good texture. This time of year a lot of retail stores will display "Chili meat". The only draw back to the grocery store grind... you really don't know what you are getting. Anyway, I like chuck for taste, texture and body.

Enjoy!

I've used beef pork lamb and chicken at various times and like them all. Chili for me is a creation not a recipe, although it does have some common beginnings each time.

Making chili for 40yrs.

Would you share your chili recipe or have I missed it somewhere on the site?:blush:
dippydiner

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom