Chili needs something

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Peanut butter adds a richness that is hard to detect where it comes from - in small amount.

Store bought chili powder has to cook a while to the harsh "metallic" taste out of it. Also, that might be a bit more chipotle/adobe than you need unless you really like heat. The things I would add is some cumin and some beef stock, but that's just me. Gotta have 1 TBSP cumin per lb of meat.:chef:

+1 on the cumin! It has to be freshly toasted and ground seeds though.:D
In my travels, I have found Mexican markets in agricultural areas that carry dried herbs common to their culture. I will be using some of these in future chile cooks. I've already used Mexican oregano, but want to try the epazote.

Has anyone tried making chili powder from dried chilis? I like trying single powders or combos of different varieties. I love experimenting with chile.

Craig

by harsh...do you mean too spicy hot...too,,"sour"(acidy tomato taste")
or,,heavy?
sometimes ive noticed,,,things with tomato can go a bit sour
or maybe almost sharp or acidic
this can be from the tomato and SOMETIMES,,,this will be TMI...sorry
but certain times of the month:wacko:...my taste buds are in hyper over drive and everything is more pronounced or LOUD
salt is saltier,,,sweet is SWEETER,,,sour is way more sour,,,etc
i havent read everyones input...BUT here is what i do
i always carmelize my onions when cooking them with a tomato dish
i do "fry" my spices
i always add a touch of brown sugar and i cook chili SLOWWWLLLYYY

maybe too,,,adding some cheese or sour cream as a topper may help
i know some think thats wrong to do to chili,,,,so thats up to you
and the flavours do intensify the longer it cooks,,,so maybe they need more time to melt into each other

Make ahead to serve tomorrow. Overnight the flavors will have done their thing.

If it's too acidic add a little sweetness: molassas, brown sugar, maple syrup:chef:

Thanks for saving dinner!

Just knew something was wrong with my chili.. but couldn't even begin to explain. You all answered without me even asking! Thanks so VERY MUCH!

Welcome to DC, Nancy! You will find a lot of good answers here!

Last edited:
My friend used to make a crrraaaaazzzyyy goooodddddd chilli! Instead of powder he would cause a "Drop" of the 1,000,000 skoville hot sauce. Literally in one HUGE VAT of chilli he only added one drop of the 1,000,000 skoville chilli. only one. That chilli was sooooo good. I would have to beg for him to reveal the recipe to me.

I would add 1 or 2 pieces of Mexican chocolate and a tablespoon of sweet paprika, and I'd leave out the cinnamon. There is cinnamon in the Mexican chocolate. I also like to use at least 3 different kinds of beans such as kidney, pinto, and black.

Last edited:
The next time I make chili I am going to add Ground Chipotle Pepper and
Bhut Jolokia Pepper Powder - Worlds Hottest Chile Powder (AKA Ghost Chili Powder). I just got these from http://www.myspicesage.com/ I used them in my taco meat last week and it was fantastic.

I often add a few broken up fresh corn tortillas. it deepens the flavor and thickens the chili a bit.

I've done this ant it adds a wonderful flavor. You can also add a quarter cup of masa harina (corn flour) instead to thicken and add that same flavor.
herbs/spices I look for are dark chili powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, flavor of peppers, cumin, coriander, cilantro. Flavors that add depth are unsweetened cocoa, or chocolate, masa harina, clelery, black, pinto, and kidney beans, sweetener (brown sugar, white sugar, mollases, or maple syrup), diced fresh peppers, onion. For me I have to have fresh tomatoes, or great canned tomatoes such as purred tomato, diced tomato, you know, something that tastes like tomato rather than processed tomato sauce. But there also has to be the richness of tomato paste or sauce to ballance out the tomato flavor, I prefer paste as it hasn't had other flavors added. I like to add my own flavors.

From there, add interest and variety by adding any combination of tomatilla, beer, Salsa Verde', cinnamon, smoke flavoring, or fire, grilled beef, pork, chicken, etc.

For me, the most important thing about chili is to make what you like. Try different flavors. Find something that is unique and great for you. Hopefully, others will share your enjoyment. And always, always, always remember the golder rule of soups and sauces. Add flavors slowly, let them simmer a bit before tasting. You can always add more. But once it's in the pot, it can't be removed.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
I fry it with whatever meat I'm browning for the chili. Takes the raw taste out. Kind of like cooking flour in a roux for a bit.

Back
Top Bottom