"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili
Old 07-21-2011, 05:40 PM   #11
Assistant Cook
Awesome, I'm going to try it

Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Ok, this one sounds weird, but when you try it, you'll find it to be one of the best ways to eat chili you've ever had!

First, homemade mayo:

Stick Blender Mayo

1 each egg
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2 tablespoons Splenda or Sugar
1 cup salad oil

Mix well using stick blender, standard blender or food processor.
Store overnight to allow flavors to meld.

Then, make your chili thin enough to be used as a sauce. Add mayo to it and mix well. (Mayo to taste, I like a LOT)

Put that on some angel hair pasta (Make a "bowl" in the middle of your pasta and fill it with the chili) and top with your favorite shredded cheese.

Serve with crusty garlic bread

Serious Yum!

Browse hundreds of recipes at:
shurik1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #12
Executive Chef
beer is a great chili addition. Something medium in flavor. adds a great depth of taste.

Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:25 PM   #13
Master Chef
On a totally different line, there is New Mexico Green Chili and Cincinnati Chili (really a Greek dish). If you decide to take a walk on the wild side (probably not this time) ask and I'll pass on my versions.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #14
Master Chef
maybe you could just choose one...........

(Sorry I'm Late..............)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CHILI FILE.pdf (622.9 KB, 113 views)
Walk with the person who's searching for truth........ run from the person who says they've found it !
luckytrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #15
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by luckytrim View Post
Thanks Lucky!

Saved and Filed.
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:36 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Originally Posted by luckytrim

(Sorry I'm Late..............)
I couldn't find the attachment...
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:05 PM   #17
Senior Cook
Not a beef chili, but what about a seafood chili?

:: Cooking For Dads ::

I've made it twice and I added what I thought would be good. We really liked it, alot. Add some tony chach's creole and it makes it better, imho.

It's something different, anyway.
BigAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:53 PM   #18
Assistant Cook
Instead of straight ground beef, try a little Hot Italian Sausage as part of your meat compliment. A 3 to 1 mix, beef to sausage, always works nice, in spicier dishes you can even go half and half. Sausage brings a wealth of spices to your dish as the meat is seasoned and marinates in it's casing further enhancing flavors and providing depth.
The Meat Roast
meatroast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:55 AM   #19
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
I never could figure out what was wrong with my chili recipe. It just had no depth of flavor, until I started adding a big can of beef stock or broth. For me it made all of the difference in the world. Hope this helps.
I had this problem too with no depth of flavour and it's so disappointing when you have everything else well balanced, just need to go for it.
Fabiabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:40 AM   #20
Master Chef
I hate to say it, but sometimes you're just using way too lean a cut (or ground) beef. Fat carries flavor. If you need to keep it lean, cut the salt out entirely and find a beef base (powder or paste) that you like and use that in place of salt.

Sometimes the depth of flavor develops with time. For instance, my Cincinnati chili absolutely has to sit in the fridge for a minimum of 24 hours after I make it, a couple of days is better. It allows the flavors to meld into unity instead of your brain immediately thinking: cinnamon. allspice. cayenne. pepper. vinegar. Etc.

I also find that when people make southwestern/Mex food they often go too heavy on the peppers, way to light on the other flavor-makers: Garlic, Onion and CUMIN!

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

chili, recipe

Chili recipe ideas? [COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Hi guys,[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]My gf wants to make chili tonight. Do you have any ideas for recipes? I know that ingredients like peppers, onions, ground beef, garlic, beans, tomato, and some spices like paprika, cumin, salt, pepper, etc are essential, but is there anything else I can add that will make it taste even better?[/FONT][/COLOR] 3 stars 1 reviews