"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili

Old 07-12-2011, 01:14 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Chili recipe ideas?

Hi guys,

My gf wants to make chili tonight. Do you have any ideas for recipes? I know that ingredients like peppers, onions, ground beef, garlic, beans, tomato, and some spices like paprika, cumin, salt, pepper, etc are essential, but is there anything else I can add that will make it taste even better?

Old 07-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Here's a recipe he might want to try.

Chili con Carne

2 Tb Oil, plus more as needed
2 Lb Chuck, ¼” cubes
1 Ea Onion, diced
4 Cl Garlic, minced
1 Ea Cubanelle Pepper, diced
1 Ea Poblano Pepper, diced
1 Ea Jalapeno Pepper, Diced
2 Ea Chipotle Peppers, soaked+diced
8 Oz Tomato, diced
2 C Beef Stock or Water
45 Gr Chili Regular Powder
15 Gr Ground Ancho Pepper
½ Tb Smoked Paprika
2 tsp Ground Cayenne Pepper or ground chipotle
1 tsp Cumin
½ Tb Mexican Oregano
TT Salt and Black Pepper
15 Oz Red Kidney Beans, canned
2 Tb Masa

In a 3½ quart sauté pan or similar, heat the oil over high heat and begin browning the beef in batches. Remove the browned beef to a plate.

Add more oil if needed and add the onion, garlic and peppers. Sauté the veggies over medium high heat until soft and starting to brown around the edges.

Add the tomato, stock, chili powder, ground Ancho, paprika, cayenne, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer covered for 2 hours.

Drain the beans and add them to the chili.

Mix the masa with a little water and stir it into the chili. Return to a simmer for 20 minutes.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

andy's recipe is a very good one, almost identical to my own.

if you have a good mexican/hispanic market nearby, try to make your own chili powder. buy some dried chipotles and dried anchos or mulatos. if you have a clean coffee grinder, buzz away until it's a powder. if no grinder, chop with a knife into the smallest bits possible.

also, using a mortar and pestle, grind black pepper and cumin from whole black peppercorns and whole cumin seed.

freshly ground spices will add an unmistakeable aroma to to chili that brings the flavours up a notch or two.

good luck.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
Executive Chef

There were some really good looking chili recipes posted just recently in this thread:
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...pes-73233.html
Lots of variety in them to so should give you some ideas.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurik1986 View Post
Hi guys,

My gf wants to make chili tonight. Do you have any ideas for recipes? I know that ingredients like peppers, onions, ground beef, garlic, beans, tomato, and some spices like paprika, cumin, salt, pepper, etc are essential, but is there anything else I can add that will make it taste even better?
I never could figure out what was wrong with my chili recipe. It just had no depth of flavor, until I started adding a big can of beef stock or broth. For me it made all of the difference in the world. Hope this helps.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Thanks guys thats awesome. I really like the idea of crushing your own spices.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:45 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurik1986 View Post
Hi guys,

Don't use ground beef. Get a sirloin, remove most of the fat and cut into cubes.

Try adding some scotch whiskey.. not kidding. It really adds to it. I converted a die hard chili person from Texas to adding scotch in their recipe.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:26 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Def ground cumin. Epazote and cocoa powder add great depth. I also use some low sodium V-8.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

It is so hot, I couldn't think of making chili right now! But, I do add cocao powder and beer...never thought of Scotch...but then, the only time I have access to Scotch is when I visit my family--I don't drink it, so I won't buy it...but maybe for cooking, kinda like keeping a bottle of Sake in the house...the other thing you could try is adding some pork. I will buy a boneless chop and cut that up to add to chili...and, sometimes I add a wee bit of maple syrup...but then, I add maple syrup to almost everything--we collect the sap and evap it...so we have a surplus.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:47 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Ok, this one sounds weird, but when you try it, you'll find it to be one of the best ways to eat chili you've ever had!

First, homemade mayo:

Stick Blender Mayo

1 each egg
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2 tablespoons Splenda or Sugar
1 cup salad oil

Mix well using stick blender, standard blender or food processor.
Store overnight to allow flavors to meld.

---------------
Then, make your chili thin enough to be used as a sauce. Add mayo to it and mix well. (Mayo to taste, I like a LOT)

Put that on some angel hair pasta (Make a "bowl" in the middle of your pasta and fill it with the chili) and top with your favorite shredded cheese.

Serve with crusty garlic bread

Serious Yum!

Tags
chili, recipe

Chili recipe ideas? [COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Hi guys,[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]My gf wants to make chili tonight. Do you have any ideas for recipes? I know that ingredients like peppers, onions, ground beef, garlic, beans, tomato, and some spices like paprika, cumin, salt, pepper, etc are essential, but is there anything else I can add that will make it taste even better?[/FONT][/COLOR] 3 stars 1 reviews