Chili Results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abjcooking

Head Chef
OK, I made the turkey chili tonight and it was excellent except for I put way too much chili's in it. It was way too spicy. I ended up putting 2 dried ancho chiles and 2 dried chipole peppers in it. So I drained out some of the liquid and added some more crushed tomatoes and some chicken stock. It turned out great. I adjusted the recipe with less chiles. Here is the recipe. I will also post the chili recipe that I usually cook. I ended up mixing Alix's and my other recipe together.

Ground Turkey Chili

2 packages (1.36lb. each) ground turkey
4 T. chili powder
2 t. olive oil
2 cans beer
2 red bell pepper, chopped
1 T. cumin
2 extra large white onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
½-1 dried chipolte peppers
½-1 dried ancho chili peppers
2 can small red beans, drained and rinsed
1 large can crushed tomatoes with Italian herbs
1 medium can tomato sauce
2 T. brown sugar
1 T. worceteshire sauce
1 T. franks hot sauce
1t. balsamic vinegar

Brown turkey in large soup pot with olive oil and 2 T. chili powder until just cooked through. Turn off stove. Blend dry peppers in a little water or broth to chop. Add peppers and all other ingredients. Turn stove back on and just cook through until warm. Put lid on pot and put in oven on 200-250.

Six-Pack Chili

1 6-pack of Corona beer, chilled
2 1/2 lb tri-tip roast, cut into 1/2" cubes
2 1/2 lb ground chuck
1/2 tablespoons dried mexican oregano
7 tablespoons Gephart's chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon paprika
2 large Vidalia onions, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, diced (about 4-5)
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
1 4-oz can diced green chiles
15-oz can crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Masa Harina
Salt and pepper to taste
Sour cream
Your favorite salsa

1. Drink a beer and read the directions. 2. In a large Dutch oven brown the beef with 2 TBL chili powder. Drain the fat, but don't go overboard cause there's lots of flavor in there. Add two beers, the rest of the chili powder, oregano, cumin, paprika and get it to start to boil. Simmer for an hour. 3. Have a beer to reward yourself for all that hard work. 4. Heat up a skillet and caramelize the onions. During the last couple of minutes, add the garlic and saute. Add onion and garlic to the chili along with chipotles, jalapeno, green chiles, red bell pepper, and tomatos. Simmer another 1-2 hours. 5. You'll want another beer here. Make sure your friends have put on some kickin tunes. 6. Add sugar and vinegar. Whisk together equal parts of Masa Harina and cold water (I use about 1/3 cup each). Bring to a boil and stir until it thickens. Season to taste. 7. Ladle into bowls, top with sour cream and salsa. Serve hot sauce on the side. 8. Open your final beer and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Try not to get a swelled head from all the compliments.

Abj recipes look good. My son really wanted me to make some chilli and I made a version similar to yours without the beer, less peppers and I added two ingredients that added so much richness.

1 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder - I know it's traditional in the Mexican Mole version and I see why it's used. It adds both color and flavor and I also added some freshly roasted and ground corrainder seeds.

I topped mine with sour cream and some frito's corn chips along with a handful of shredded cheddar. That along with some corn bread and it was so very good.

Thanks for sharing your recipes.

Yakuta; My mouth is watering! I too add unsweetened cocoa powder, or baker's chocolate to my chili, along with coriander. But here's something I tried for grins that came out so good. I lightly softned fresh corn tortillas in hot oil and drianed the excess oil in paper towels. After putting the chili into serving bowls, I tore the tortillas into bite-sized chunks and stirred them into the bowls as well. The tortillas flavor and aroma enhanced the chili far more than I would have thought. It was a real winning combination. White Hominy has a similar, but milder flavor than corn tortillas, and are good in chili as well.

Just some food for thought.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed thank you for the tortilla suggestion. I am sure it adds a good flavor and makes it even more so a comfort food. In down home Indian cooking we cook Dahl's and then add a whole wheat torn tortilla along with rice to a piping hot bowl of dahl and it's a meal in a bowl. So similar idea.

I will try your suggestion next time and I am sure my little boys will love it.

Back
Top Bottom