Chili Verde?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
Is this any different than Salsa Verde? Or more like a stew that includes meat? I did a quickie search on one site, and got hits for versions that include beef, some with pork, and others with chicken. Anybody have any ideas?

A quote taken from Chile Verde Recipe | Simply Recipes

Walk into almost any taqueria in this country and you will find chile verde on the menu. The chile will likely be made with chunks of pork shoulder, slow cooked in a green chile sauce of jalapeno chiles, garlic, and tomatillos. It's a favorite filling for burritos and tacos, and wonderful just on its own with a bit of rice and tortillas. Many recipes call for puréeing raw tomatillos and adding them to the pork to cook. In this recipe we roast the tomatillos first, browning their skins, to bring out more flavor. I recently begged this recipe from my Acapulco friend, Arturo Vargas who was surprised I wanted it. "But Elise, it's so easy, anyone can make chile verde." Gracias, Arturo. We loved it.

I might try this, thanks for the idea. :D

Sounds great, but also sounds very hot? As long as it doesn't burn the roof of my mouth, count me in! LOL.

I make chile verde often, and that is almost exactly how I make it. It is a great taco filling and I've also used it for tamales. I don't usually add poblano chiles, but they would certainly be a good addition to almost anything. And I don't use jalapenos; I use serranos, because they are the most widely available at the markets here. I'll use 4-5 (they are smaller) and I don't seed or devein them. They seem to have a little more flavor than jalapenos.

Mexico Karen, can I substitute pork loin for the shoulder, I rarely buy the shoulder? Or is there another piece of meat I can substitute for the shoulder.

mmm Lefty, the recipe in your link sounds wonderful (except for that evil cilantro!)

Copied and pasted! Thanks!

Lee

mmm Lefty, the recipe in your link sounds wonderful (except for that evil cilantro!)

Copied and pasted! Thanks!

Lee

I am the same way, only itty bitty amounts of cilantro cause that is about all I can handle. They put em in the tacos at the taquerias here and I always have to ask them to only put a small amount on or leave it off.

Now, I just need to know how hot this dish is?? I like hot and spicy as does the wife, but the kids are more along the medium level.

Is this any different than Salsa Verde? Or more like a stew that includes meat? I did a quickie search on one site, and got hits for versions that include beef, some with pork, and others with chicken. Anybody have any ideas?

Chile verde = green chile.

Green chile is the cornerstone of New Mexican cuisine. Google "green chile" and you'll get an abundance of information, recipes and sources.

Here in New Mexico, green chiles are roasted and frozen for use throughout the year. They are used in stews, soups, casseroles, omelets etc etc etc. They are stuffed, used as a pizza topping and you've never had a burger until you've had a Green Chile Cheeseburger!

Spend a few minutes and check out some of the many websites with green chile information. You'll get quite an education.

That sounds like a good meal right now. I have never tried Chile Verde... so now it is on my list of things to try!

Lefty, the reason they use pork shoulder is because it is not too lean, and it stands up well to the long cooking process. I don't think pork loin would handle the long cooking without becoming stringy. You could try a pork loin roast (not tenderloin) and cut the cooking by a bit, I think. And Buddy - two jalapenos that are seeded and deveined probably wouldn't be too hot, but if you want chile flavor and no heat for the kids, use a couple of poblanos instead.

Cool, thanks! It is not that they want no heat, just that their tolerance is at about medium heat while ours is at full. I have no idea where that scale came from LOL.

No No No!

none of this is right! that recipe is wrong..

Salsa verde is Green Sauce, Actually should be Salsa Verde, and is a condiment, in a small bowl, used on top of tacos, etc.

Green Chili is a stew of lean pork, and New Mexico Green chilis (Hatch) and are completely different.

one is a meal, one is just salsa!

We don't eat "Burritos" here..

Eric, Austin Tx.

I have recipies for both, and Red Salsa Also!.

Lefty, the reason they use pork shoulder is because it is not too lean, and it stands up well to the long cooking process. I don't think pork loin would handle the long cooking without becoming stringy. You could try a pork loin roast (not tenderloin) and cut the cooking by a bit, I think.

Karen, I never thought a pork loin would be able to handle 2-3 hours of simmering, until I saw Dan and Steve make this "All Day Pork Loin Chili" on Food TV http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...agh/all-day-pork-loin-chili-recipe/index.html and have made it myself several times. I was amazed that they were right - the pork DID turn out to be "buttery-tender". :LOL:

Hey, maybe I'll just make that one again! ;)

Lee

Giggler, calm down...did you read the recipe? It is CHILE VERDE, not Salsa Verde, and speaking as someone who eats it often here in Mexico, it is exactly right. The salsa/sauce for cooking the prok is made first, as the recipe indicates. We have had discussions on this board about salsa verde and how it is made. Maybe it is different in NEW Mexico, but here in old Mexico, that is how we make Chile Verde. And we DO eat burritos, but they are usually called burros, because they cover the whole plate.

I think that there are clear differences among Mexican cooking, New Mexican cooking and Tex-Mex cooking. That doesn't make any of them less "authentic." In Mexico, we don't use Hatch chiles - they aren't available. We use poblanos. And in the region I live, habaneros, chiles de arbol, serranos and others.

Last edited:
Mexico Karen, can I substitute pork loin for the shoulder, I rarely buy the shoulder? Or is there another piece of meat I can substitute for the shoulder.

Chile verde = green chile.

Green chile is the cornerstone of New Mexican cuisine. Google "green chile" and you'll get an abundance of information, recipes and sources.

Here in New Mexico, green chiles are roasted and frozen for use throughout the year. They are used in stews, soups, casseroles, omelets etc etc etc. They are stuffed, used as a pizza topping and you've never had a burger until you've had a Green Chile Cheeseburger!

Spend a few minutes and check out some of the many websites with green chile information. You'll get quite an education.

:) Well said.In the late summer early fall we buy our green chile by the bushel and it is roasted right there on the spot this time I bought two medium and one hot and like JimC said we put it on every thing. You can buy it in differrent heats mild, medium, hot and extra hot and thats just the green we are talking about we also have it in red.

Ha Ha! I will "deffer" to Mexico Karen on this..

Her Recipe for Red Salsa .. Where you fry the vegies in a pan, is the most "Authintic" I've ever seen, and also the "Albodongas Soup"!

Thanks Karen!

Thanks, Eric ,Austin Tx.

:) Well said.In the late summer early fall we buy our green chile by the bushel and it is roasted right there on the spot this time I bought two medium and one hot and like JimC said we put it on every thing. You can buy it in different heats mild, medium, hot and extra hot and thats just the green we are talking about we also have it in red.

We drove through Hatch NM (Chile Capitol of the World) yesterday on our way back from Tucson. There were several roadside stands that were selling ristras and other chile products. I bought a big bag of dried red pods and three packages of whole green chiles that were roasted and frozen from this season's crop.

There are going to be lots of red and green chile dishes in my not too distant future!

JP, I once spent a few weeks in Santa Fe in October...some friends and I rented a house. One of things we did was buy a bushel of green chiles and roast them on the backyard barbecue. Then, we made mounds of chiles rellenos, and froze the rest - transported them back to Oregon in dry ice. They were wonderful. Those chiles are very similar to the poblanos we use here. And the air was full of the smell of them roasting everywhere. It was a lovely trip and the first time I ate real tamales...my friends, who used to live there, drove us about 25 miles to a little town called Chimayo (with a wonderful shrine) and we bought them from a woman who lived there. Sat at a picnic table in her yard, just like in Mexico! They were wonderful.

Oh gosh, giggler,I hope I didn't bully you - but I hope you enjoyed the albondigas. I think I'll make some tomorrow....

not at all, i wen't to see " the mommies "
in Guenojotoe when I was in high school, and I've never been the same since,

Where is Bueno Ceres? sounds nice...

Ha Ha , keep the wonderfull recipies coming, but my best friend in high school, was Tx american mexican, and there "hot sauce" and Mole is totally different!

Love, Eric, Austin, Tx.

Ok, I hit the link and copied/pasted the recipe into my files. After reading the recipe, well.....

*slaps forehead in rememberance.

D'oh!

I'm pretty sure I had something very similar to this when I working out at Philmont. Only, the ladies that made the stuff called it "Green Chile Stew", and I think it had some beans in it as well.

I may try this one shortly, once the cash-flow situation improves. I'll probably go with Poblano chiles, as my kids just aren't that in to hot stuff.

Thank you all for the replies!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom