Chili Verde Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I've been wanting to make a chili verde recipe for a while so I accumulated several recipes and used the best parts of each to make this.

You can use any combination of fresh green chiles and adjust the amounts to get the heat you want.

This recipe has a steady heat and is very tasty. I roasted some of the chiles, garlic and onion and used some fresh (raw) to get different flavors from them.

Chili Verde

6-8 Ea Tomatillos ([FONT=PC&#47749]¾[/FONT]-1 Lb)
3 Ea Poblano Peppers
1 Ea Green Jalapeno Pepper
1 Ea Serrano Pepper
1 Ea Onion, halved
2-3 Cl Garlic, unpeeled
2 Tb Oil, to coat vegetables
2 Tb Oil
2 Lb Pork Butt, cubed
1 Ea Poblano Pepper
1 Ea Serrano Pepper
1 Ea Onion, chopped
1 1/2 tsp Cumin
1 1/2 tsp Mexican Oregano
2 C Chicken Stock
TT Salt and Pepper

Peel the husks from the tomatillos and rinse them. Place them on an oiled sheet pan. Add the poblanos, jalapeno and Serrano, the onion and the garlic to the sheet pan. Coat them all with oil. Broil the vegetables in the oven or grill them until roasted and blackened.

Place the chilies into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 20 minutes. Remove the skin, seeds and stems from the peppers. Place the flesh into a food processor.

Place the tomatillos in the food processor. Peel the garlic and add it to the food processor. Process until mostly smooth.

Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan or Dutch oven. Brown the pork over high heat on all sides, in batches if necessary, and remove to a plate.

Remove the stems and seeds from the remaining peppers and chop. Add the peppers and the onion to the pan. Sauté the vegetables until softened and the onion is translucent.

Add the cumin and oregano to the pan.

Return the meat and any accumulated juices to the pan and add the stock. Bring the pan to a boil; reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, until the meat is very tender, about 2 hours.

Adjust the seasonings.

Simmer uncovered to thicken as needed.

Serve with rice and/or some tortillas.

What? You been data mining in my head?:ohmy: With the exception of the serranos and potatoes that I add, you've stolen my exact recipe!;) J/K Seriously that is pretty much the same recipe I came up with winging it. I'm sure the amounts are a little different, as I just "eye-ball it", but the method is the same.

Oh, almost forgot, I split the stew between two pots about 30 minutes before it is ready. The potatoes go in mine and I add homeny to Karens.

I know it tastes great.

I will take some of Karen's--I love hominy in my green chili. Recipe sounds great--I have serranos and jalapenos in the garden, and am looking for some anaheims to plant.

Last edited:
There didn't seem to be a lot of variation in the recipes I compared. Only one had potato in it and I decided to omit that. Others included clove which I dislike.

Funny thing, I've never had chili verde before so I don't know if it tastes like chili verde is supposed to taste.

I've been wanting to make a chili verde recipe for a while so I accumulated several recipes and used the best parts of each to make this.

You can use any combination of fresh green chiles and adjust the amounts to get the heat you want.

This recipe has a steady heat and is very tasty. I roasted some of the chiles, garlic and onion and used some fresh (raw) to get different flavors from them.

Chili Verde

6-8 Ea Tomatillos ([FONT=PC&#47749]¾[/FONT]-1 Lb)
3 Ea Poblano Peppers
1 Ea Serrano Pepper
1 Ea Onion, halved
2-3 Cl Garlic, unpeeled
2 Tb Oil, to coat vegetables
2 Tb Oil
2 Lb Pork Butt, cubed
1 Ea Poblano Pepper
1 Ea Serrano Pepper
1 Ea Onion, chopped
1 1/2 tsp Cumin
1 1/2 tsp Mexican Oregano
2 C Chicken Stock
TT Salt and Pepper

Peel the husks from the tomatillos and rinse them. Place them on an oiled sheet pan. Add the poblanos, jalapeno and Serrano, the onion and the garlic to the sheet pan. Coat them all with oil. Broil the vegetables in the oven or grill them until roasted and blackened.

Place the chilies into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 20 minutes. Remove the skin, seeds and stems from the peppers. Place the flesh into a food processor.

Place the tomatillos in the food processor. Peel the garlic and add it to the food processor. Process until mostly smooth.

Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan or Dutch oven. Brown the pork over high heat on all sides, in batches if necessary, and remove to a plate.

Remove the stems and seeds from the remaining peppers and chop. Add the peppers and the onion to the pan. Sauté the vegetables until softened and the onion is translucent.

Add the cumin and oregano to the pan.

Return the meat and any accumulated juices to the pan and add the stock. Bring the pan to a boil; reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, until the meat is very tender, about 2 hours.

Adjust the seasonings.

Simmer uncovered to thicken as needed.

Serve with rice and/or some tortillas.

Now that sounds like my kind of chili! I'll be trying this one out. If you want it, I'll share my white chili recipe. It one its category at our local chili contest. But I haven't made a chili verde. And yours, from looking at the ingredients and technique, is right up my alley, taste-wise.

Thanks for the recipe.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Now that sounds like my kind of chili! I'll be trying this one out. If you want it, I'll share my white chili recipe. It one its category at our local chili contest. But I haven't made a chili verde. And yours, from looking at the ingredients and technique, is right up my alley, taste-wise.

Thanks for the recipe.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Let me know what you think, GW.

There didn't seem to be a lot of variation in the recipes I compared. Only one had potato in it and I decided to omit that. Others included clove which I dislike.

Funny thing, I've never had chili verde before so I don't know if it tastes like chili verde is supposed to taste.
Andy I've made this several times and my whole family loves it. If you like with more heat you can pick up some more cilies.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/what-is-your-signature-dish-64747.html

kadesma

Do you think it would hurt the recipe much if I substitute tomatoes for tomatillos? We almost never see tomatillos around here and when we do they are very expensive.

Do you think it would hurt the recipe much if I substitute tomatoes for tomatillos? We almost never see tomatillos around here and when we do they are very expensive.

It would change the recipe a lot. Tomatillos are like green tomatoes, so if you had green tomatoes they would be best.

If you want to use red tomatoes, you can, and it would taste good. It would just be a different dish and you could call it call it something else.

It would change the recipe a lot. Tomatillos are like green tomatoes, so if you had green tomatoes they would be best.

If you want to use red tomatoes, you can, and it would taste good. It would just be a different dish and you could call it call it something else.

Green tomatoes, good to know. Thank you. I'm hoping to grow some tomatoes, so I should be able to get green ones.

Green tomatoes, good to know. Thank you. I'm hoping to grow some tomatoes, so I should be able to get green ones.

You might also check the Hispanic section of your supermarket or a local Hispanic market for canned tomatillos. They would work.

TaxLady--I know where you can get tomatillos and they won't be expensive <g>. However, they are usually not ready until around Labour Day...they freeze well. If you can hold off making this until the fall (and we can connect in Cornwall), I can supply you with tomatillos <g>.

The recipe looks good. I've only made chili verde with chicken. I never thought to use pork.

I use canned tomatillios not expensive here and give the recipe a tart taste that is good.'
kades

Tomatillos "self seed" and are quite invasive. My DH pulls them as weeds...I use as many as I can, but I can only use so many tomatillos...I would be more than happy to share fresh tomatillos with anyone who lives close <g>.

TaxLady--I know where you can get tomatillos and they won't be expensive <g>. However, they are usually not ready until around Labour Day...they freeze well. If you can hold off making this until the fall (and we can connect in Cornwall), I can supply you with tomatillos <g>.

The recipe looks good. I've only made chili verde with chicken. I never thought to use pork.

Sounds good.

Back
Top Bottom